Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the two sockeye limit lead to crowding on the bars?  (Read 16129 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Does the two sockeye limit lead to crowding on the bars?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »

If one needs to try and make an economic justification to go out fishing, then you’re going to have a bad time. For the majority of people, cost of gas/gear/time >> just buying them from the fish market.

Being able to keep something for the BBQ is a nice perk, no argument here, but if that’s how someone measures success, then they’re probably going to come out on the short end of that calculation.

As for the OP question, it would be interesting to see how much crowding would be reduced if the limit was raised to 4. Some people would leave right away. Some would release all sockeye after 3 in hopes of a spring. Some would continue to fish and release everything after 4 simply because they’re having a fun time of it out there, and that would be perfectly legal.

And isn't it plausible that raising the limit could actually motivate a lot more people to make the trip out who wouldn't otherwise go and as a result would be just as crowded or maybe even worse anyways?

Very good points, will keep those in mind when making recommendations in the future.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 04:04:27 PM »

If one needs to try and make an economic justification to go out fishing, then you’re going to have a bad time. For the majority of people, cost of gas/gear/time >> just buying them from the fish market.

Being able to keep something for the BBQ is a nice perk, no argument here, but if that’s how someone measures success, then they’re probably going to come out on the short end of that calculation.

As for the OP question, it would be interesting to see how much crowding would be reduced if the limit was raised to 4. Some people would leave right away. Some would release all sockeye after 3 in hopes of a spring. Some would continue to fish and release everything after 4 simply because they’re having a fun time of it out there, and that would be perfectly legal.

And isn't it plausible that raising the limit could actually motivate a lot more people to make the trip out who wouldn't otherwise go and as a result would be just as crowded or maybe even worse anyways?

Good points.

Given the popularity of this fishery, the number of people that are on the fence about going or not going based on whether the limits are two or four may not be that great.  I also have my doubts about whether raising the limits will actually significantly reduce the number of trips.  This fishery was much anticipated months ago and many have booked off vacation time.  They will go regardless.

If they do go to a 4 fish limit, they will need to make some modifications to the rules that are currently in place:

-all fish hooked in the mouth area must be retained (no C&R).
-must stop fishing after the 4th fish is retained (same as the steelie rule)
-cannot retain any Chinook salmon over 50 cm. unless caught using a bar rig setup (can easily be defined in the regs)
-these rules apply to the fraser sockeye fishery only and not to any other river systems.

Those rules will hopefully help with the crowding and more importantly the number of fish hooked and release whom in my opinion have a very small chance of survival.

TacoChris

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »

From what I see and read on this site many do not approve of the Fraser river sockeye  fishing and BB. That is fine you are all untitled to your opinion.
From what I can see great number of anglers do not agree by the shear numbers of people fishing sockeye. I can sympathize with those who do not like the fact it brings on crowds.

I BB for sockeye as I enjoy it. It is still fun to reel in a salmon on light tackle not terribly concerned that some do not find it sporting.  It is not economical but fishing rarely is. Restrictive rules such as 10 sockeye limits, no spring retention and no catch and release do not fly with me. For me the 2 or 4 sockeye retention would make no difference. The Fraser river sockeye catch and release studies to date I am aware of show no significant sockeye mortality. Many may not agree with them but in the absence of other information they are all there is to go by. All catch and release fishing has mortality. Eduction for those that mishandle fish would be of benefit.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »

The Fraser river sockeye catch and release studies to date I am aware of show no significant sockeye mortality. Many may not agree with them but in the absence of other information they are all there is to go by. All catch and release fishing has mortality. Eduction for those that mishandle fish would be of benefit.
This is I believe (hopefully someone can correct me if wrong) the only study on catch and release mortalities on Fraser sockeye; the discussion suggests much more research is needed to gauge long term mortalities.

http://www.thinksalmon.com/reports/FraserSockeyeHookReleaseMortality08FSWP175.pdf

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 06:25:00 AM »

I thought we were talking sockeye harvesting here, not fishing. ::)

Flossing fish with 15 foot leaders is not fishing in my books.
But I guess for some it is the only form of 'fishing' they know.

OK, who are you and what did you do with Milo?

GordJ

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 08:58:52 AM »

Good points.

Given the popularity of this fishery, the number of people that are on the fence about going or not going based on whether the limits are two or four may not be that great.  I also have my doubts about whether raising the limits will actually significantly reduce the number of trips.  This fishery was much anticipated months ago and many have booked off vacation time.  They will go regardless.

If they do go to a 4 fish limit, they will need to make some modifications to the rules that are currently in place:

-all fish hooked in the mouth area must be retained (no C&R).
Impossible to enforce. Oops it got off.
-must stop fishing after the 4th fish is retained (same as the steelie rule)
Okay
-cannot retain any Chinook salmon over 50 cm. unless caught using a bar rig setup (can easily be defined in the regs)
Impossible to enforce. The officer would have to be sitting on shore and accompany you out to chase your fish to see if you had a bar rig.
-these rules apply to the fraser sockeye fishery only and not to any other river systems.

Those rules will hopefully help with the crowding and more importantly the number of fish hooked and release whom in my opinion have a very small chance of survival.
4 fish won't lessen crowding. My experience is that most people go home after their sockeye limit is full.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 10:57:44 AM »

Most people go home after they catch their limit. This is a meat fishery and has a lot to do with filling up the Fraser. Increasing the limit may not lessen the crowds at the start of the season but on d the freezers are filled up, it will decrease the frequency and number of trips to the bars. That may only have an impact if there is a long Openning like what we had in 2010.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »

You dont have to buy them off FN you can buy them off the commercial guys. Just down the street from me I can get them. $10/fish x 10 fish is $100. Gas to and from a bar in Chilliwack is $50 atleast x 5 trips is $250 plus my time, plus the stress of fishing shoulder to shoulder, plus your snagging fish. Nope you guys go and have at it!!! No preaching from me I just I like my sanity.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »

i remember the good old days of flossing the sox's.... 4 per day and u could fish all night and walk out with ur limit !

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »

i remember the good old days of flossing the sox's.... 4 per day and u could fish all night and walk out with ur limit !
Oh the good old days, I remember bar fishing for coho in the lower Fraser and have double headers on the bar rig. 2 cohos flailing around on the same rod.
Yes times have change.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »

Oh the good old days, I remember bar fishing for coho in the lower Fraser and have double headers on the bar rig. 2 cohos flailing around on the same rod.
Yes times have change.

Or double headers of cutthroats off Brownsville pier

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »

OK, who are you and what did you do with Milo?

LOL Bruce! ;D

Hey, at least now I know that wool colour doesn't matter.  :P

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2014, 06:35:06 PM »

Rodney said
Members of the Sport Fishing Advisory Committee in the Fraser Valley including myself made the recommendation to the resource manager for the Lower Fraser at DFO back in March, to increase the daily quota to 4 per day once in-season estimate determines that we will be seeing a run size similar to 2010. The recommendation was made to deal with this particular issue. If there is an abundance of fish, we'd like to see participants retaining their four fish and go home right away since they no longer have the option to retain other salmon species. Participants may also decide to do less trips as they could retain twice as many fish per trip. This would hopefully eliminate the crowding issue. More importantly, it'd hopefully stop people from catching and releasing sockeye salmon while trying to retain a chinook salmon. I'd rather see people killing four fish, instead of killing two fish then possibly causing post-release mortality on another dozen.

There is an abundance of fish, enough to turn the seine boats loose and support multiple gill net openings.   The recreational harvest is still at two fish.  Who decides?  Can we know the reason to restrict the recreational harvest?  I know some don't agree with flossing but others don't see it as any different than harvesting a clam or oyster.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:40:53 PM by VAGAbond »

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »

is the limit ever going to be 4? Id like to see that happen so these guys stop trying to floss chinooks.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »

Members of the Sport Fishing Advisory Committee in the Fraser Valley including myself made the recommendation to the resource manager for the Lower Fraser at DFO back in March, to increase the daily quota to 4 per day once in-season estimate determines that we will be seeing a run size similar to 2010.(  from Rodney.)

well the run size is not up to 2010   late run est. 12.5mil  well below 2010   summer run higher by about 1 million.  now the late run has not entered the river yet in any numbers so still time to go to 4 in sept.