Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skagit River Vehicle/Foot Access  (Read 2407 times)

G-Ratt

Skagit River Vehicle/Foot Access
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »

Hey all, never been out to the Skagit before, and have been itching to try it out. I just had a couple of questions that my internet digging could not clear up.

- Is the access road to the river fairly rough? A friend told me that a 4x4 vehicle is preferred, and I'd rather not ruin my new Mazda6 on a road covered in potholes and bushes.

- Does this river require a fair bit of treacherous walking on foot? Usually I love a good walk & wade, but I just recently re-injured my torn ACL, and have limited mobility. I can get around at the Vedder just fine, as it's fairly flat in most areas, and I am experienced in hiking the upper canyon. However my home river (Capilano) is an example of a system where it takes considerable footwork and strong legs to explore.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Skagit River Vehicle/Foot Access
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »

The road is not rough (if you are talking about the one to Ross Lake). It's one of the nicest gravel roads I've driven, hardly any pot holes. Your car should be fine.

The walk is also fine too, not too challenging.

The mosquitos….

G-Ratt

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »

Thanks a lot for the info Rod! I'm torn between trying out the Skagit, or just taking the inflatable out to Minnekhada to hook some bass (easier on the knee).

Most Skagit reports have been pretty favorable, but I know in Rod's description of the location, it said that fishing can slow down later in summer due to the fact that these fish have been hooked a few times. Anybody else have experience with this?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »

Yeah, the bows can get finicky sometimes. Usually if you can match what they're eating though it's bananas.
The bulls on the other hand, are pin cushions, and about as smart as one. I've hooked numerous fish in the same spots 5 to 6 times this year.
The mosquitos.... They bite easy too... ;)

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »

Road is fair, it's the odd senseless driver to be careful of. With limited access you'll contend with over-fished runs that are probably taken by other anglers. Most who fish here give a wide berth to each other but there is still LOTS of water around. Fished Silvertip campground on way out and caught a few with swimmers 20 yards or so downstream - no other anglers around there.

Good luck!

alphonse
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »

The road varies. Potholes are not common, wash boarding is. It's a beautiful drive. Take it easy and any standard car will have little issue.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:21:28 PM »

You can also park at Sumallo Grove and avoid the long gravel road.  Last year, while nursing a shoulder injury, I walked 10.5km along the trail (easy, flat, 2 hours) and then turned around and fished on my way back. 

Did quite well for bull trout without much knowledge of how to fish them.  There were a few spots that were easy to access and others that required a bit of care getting to.