Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the two sockeye limit lead to crowding on the bars?  (Read 16191 times)

Chris S

Re: Does the two sockeye limit lead to crowding on the bars?
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »

A number of times I've seen boats loaded with little kids pull up on a bar and the dad (?) proceed to pull out two fish per kid plus the two each for himself and wife (?)(who would dispatch and process each fish so he wouldn't have to stop flossing).  So they would leave with say 16 sockeye, and may be covered if caught transporting that quantity.  Guy next to me said that was illegal unless each kid had a license, even though kids don't need a license to fish themselves.

Can anyone clarify this?

Course if the limit was increased to 4, they'd be going home with 32 fish instead of 16... what's with that?

Is "borrowing" the kids of friends and neighbors to increase your limit ethical and/or legal.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:58:28 AM by Chris S »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2014, 09:24:28 AM »

When you pose the question if an action is ethical more often than not just asking means it's not through your eyes. Legally if the kids and wife land them at the shore I think it's fine  in the eyes of the law but if he is just snagging and keeping them all it's illegal and would be subject to a fine if caught.
always a student

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »

As im assuming your talking the non tidal fraser then re. Licensing they are legal unless he forgot to get one for his wife.

If it is the tidal fraser the kids need a license.

However the quota is per person who is fishing, not per person with just a license.

In other words he is breaking the law.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:21:37 AM by clarkii »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

Actually the quota is per license, unless you are not a BC resident. :)

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/#Younger

It's still illegal, as the wife and kids did not catch the fish. The anglers can only retain fish that they bring in on their own, their quota is not for fish that are given to them. Technically, this guy is 14 fish over the limit. If observed by a DFO officer, he'd be fined and gear would be confiscated. Someone should have phoned the office while this was happening if it wasn't reported. Even if the fish are already kept and no action is observed, the kid still has to demonstrate that he or she has the ability to angle. If clearly that a 3 or 4 year old cannot even hold a salmon rod, then he'd still be fined.

Tenz85

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »

Furthermore, I believe there is a possession quota. I'm not entire sure how it applies as I hardly limit out...
But maybe someone could shed light on how it works.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

Should have clarified better, meant the quota does not apply as 8 fish for 4 people if all have licenses/some are kids if only 1 guy is fishing.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »

Members of the Sport Fishing Advisory Committee in the Fraser Valley including myself made the recommendation to the resource manager for the Lower Fraser at DFO back in March, to increase the daily quota to 4 per day once in-season estimate determines that we will be seeing a run size similar to 2010.

It doesn't seem reasonable to me for the ocean tidal limit to be four and the river limit set at two.  Make them the same.  Or if you buy a boat and fish the ocean you get different treatment than if you have to walk?

Actually, there's almost no difference between the stock compositions in tidal and non-tidal as opening times are adjusted accordingly based on stock identifications in the test fisheries' catches. When you're catching fish in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River, you're still fishing unselectively as all the upper, mid and some lower tributary stocks are still mixed together.

OK, sort of, but when you are fishing out of Telegraph Cove or Campbell River, the stocks are mixed.  When you fish near Hope you know you are not catching Birkenhead or Chilliwack fish and it can probably be determined fairly accurately if you are likely to catch Horsefly or Chilcotin fish.  You can't know that in Discovery passage.