Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the two sockeye limit lead to crowding on the bars?  (Read 16199 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Does the two sockeye limit lead to crowding on the bars?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »

Seriously, in the tidal zone, especially in salt water, the stocks are mixed.  In the non-tidal is is much clearer which stock you are fishing.    The logic of two vs four doesn't make sense when there is an acknowledged surplus in the stock in the non-tidal zone.   It should be the other way around.

Actually, there's almost no difference between the stock compositions in tidal and non-tidal as opening times are adjusted accordingly based on stock identifications in the test fisheries' catches. When you're catching fish in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River, you're still fishing unselectively as all the upper, mid and some lower tributary stocks are still mixed together.

Ambassador

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »

If it gets raised to 4 a day, it will make the journey from Kitsilano far more worthwhile.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

TNAngler

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »

It would almost be nice if there was just a season limit.  You get 10 sockeye per year.  Period.  You have to mark them on your license like Chinook.  If you want to catch all 10 of your fish on the first day, great.  You want to wait until toward the end of the season to avoid the crowds, perfect.

I could see the early runs getting hammered though as everyone wants their fish first but maybe it wouldn't be that bad.  Every other year this wouldn't work because specific runs need more support although no retention is always a possibility.

TNAngler

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »

There would have to be enforcement though.  Otherwise people will just print multiple copies of their license and keep multiple retention limits until caught.

TNAngler

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »

Actually, (sorry for the multiple posts) that brings up an enhancement that I think should be done.

I think the licenses should have a place for DFO officers to sign, date, and indicate number of fish.  If you get checked, they check you, sign your license and indicate the number of fish you have recorded on your license.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

Actually, (sorry for the multiple posts) that brings up an enhancement that I think should be done.

I think the licenses should have a place for DFO officers to sign, date, and indicate number of fish.  If you get checked, they check you, sign your license and indicate the number of fish you have recorded on your license.

And where are you going to get all those DFO officers to enforce the new regulations. We don't have enough enforcement with the regulations we now have.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 06:04:34 PM »

Does the two sockeye limit lead to crowding on the bars?  YES, it should be 0 sockeye in the river.
now that sounds peacefull.
we were given 2, now we want 4, then we will want 6.
4 sockeye will lead to more over crowdiing, it would get more people off the couch since it would be worth the gas to go out there.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »

Let's see:

Gas per trip to a productive Fraser river bar: 50$
Terminal tackle: 10$
Food, coffee, incidentals: 20$

Total per trip: 80$

That puts each sockeye at 40$ when the limit is 2, 20$ each if the limit was 4.

Compare that to fresh sockeye straight out of the net from your friendly FN provider at 10$/fish.

I think I know where I will get the fish I need and focus on other fisheries.

More room for you guys. :P

TNAngler

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »

And where are you going to get all those DFO officers to enforce the new regulations. We don't have enough enforcement with the regulations we now have.

Doesn't require any additional officers.  Just adds one small step to their checking you.  Might result in extra time writing tickets but probably not.

Robert_G

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 08:35:20 AM »

Let's see:

Gas per trip to a productive Fraser river bar: 50$
Terminal tackle: 10$
Food, coffee, incidentals: 20$

Total per trip: 80$

That puts each sockeye at 40$ when the limit is 2, 20$ each if the limit was 4.

Compare that to fresh sockeye straight out of the net from your friendly FN provider at 10$/fish.

I think I know where I will get the fish I need and focus on other fisheries.

More room for you guys. :P

Sucks to be you.
I live in Chilliwack 3 minutes from the Fraser
Gas per trip to a productive Fraser river bar ( including boat trip if needed): 2$
Terminal tackle: (Less than 50 casts to get my limit) 2$ or less
Food, coffee, incidentals: 0$ I'm home for breakfast most times with my limit in hand
Total per trip: less than 4$

That puts each sockeye at 2$ when the limit is 2, 1$ each if the limit was 4.

As for my friendly FN provider....I won't be the one to encourage their illegal and unethical out of back of their truck sales of fish that have been sitting in the heat all day that aren't as fresh as you claim.

Less room for you guys

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »

Yup. Stop FN selling fish by confiscating the vehicle of anyone caught buying.
That'll stop Milo  ;D

Ambassador

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »

My retained fish would likely come in over $100 per pound if I calculated what I spent vs what I caught. I love fishing, but would like to do a bit more catching.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

TNAngler

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 10:44:45 AM »

Given mine includes a flight from TN, I'm pretty sure mine would come in at quite a hefty price.  I only fish a little bit for the food, not usually eating it myself but giving it away to people in TN who have never had salmon anywhere near this fresh.  The price is not a concern to me.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »

If one needs to try and make an economic justification to go out fishing, then you’re going to have a bad time. For the majority of people, cost of gas/gear/time >> just buying them from the fish market.

Being able to keep something for the BBQ is a nice perk, no argument here, but if that’s how someone measures success, then they’re probably going to come out on the short end of that calculation.

As for the OP question, it would be interesting to see how much crowding would be reduced if the limit was raised to 4. Some people would leave right away. Some would release all sockeye after 3 in hopes of a spring. Some would continue to fish and release everything after 4 simply because they’re having a fun time of it out there, and that would be perfectly legal.

And isn't it plausible that raising the limit could actually motivate a lot more people to make the trip out who wouldn't otherwise go and as a result would be just as crowded or maybe even worse anyways?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »

If one needs to try and make an economic justification to go out fishing, then you’re going to have a bad time.

I thought we were talking sockeye harvesting here, not fishing. ::)

Flossing fish with 15 foot leaders is not fishing in my books.
But I guess for some it is the only form of 'fishing' they know.