Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead coho with slit abdomen  (Read 21330 times)

zap brannigan

Re: Dead coho with slit abdomen
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:03 PM »

First pic is hooked but indeed a doe Rodney, females get a hooked Kype aswell just not as pronounced, look where the jaw ends it doesn't pass the eye.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 11:29:02 PM »

Should have checked for milt sacks lol, I too think that both fish are females.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 03:39:18 AM »

I'm talking about slitting carcasses on the river bank, not fish that you have killed and decide to toss back. Other than that, I agree.

Yes, I know you were, I was just covering both scenarios in my post.  You could also apply, as has been debated in another thread in the past, the rules governing the "taking" of salmon by legal "angling" only.  While someone flossing a salmon might argue that it was taken legally by angling, you would be hard pressed to convince the authorities that you took the carcass by angling (the regulations make no distinction between live fish and dead ones).  Even if one were to argue that they took the fish by angling (hooked the carcass in the mouth with a hook attached to a line), the taking of the roe and the discarding of the carcass, again, could be subject to the aforementioned regulation of "wasting" your catch as well as subject to the fines for "molesting" a fish as covered in section 4 of the Act.
Not all those who wander are lost

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 07:19:38 AM »

There both females.
The Bigger The Better!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 07:33:33 AM »

you would be hard pressed to convince the authorities that you took the carcass by angling (the regulations make no distinction between live fish and dead ones).  Even if one were to argue that they took the fish by angling (hooked the carcass in the mouth with a hook attached to a line), the taking of the roe and the discarding of the carcass, again, could be subject to the aforementioned regulation of "wasting" your catch as well as subject to the fines for "molesting" a fish as covered in section 4 of the Act.

Sandman you make the mistake of assuming your interpretation of the act is correct forgetting it's the interpretation of a) the enforcement officer and b) the judge most importantly. Taking all or parts of a dead fish is not excluded by the act and we know it's done frequently by sturgeon anglers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TNAngler

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »

Is this regulation only in regards to fresh uncured roe?  Let's say I wanted to go up for a week camping on the river, intending to fish for roe, so pack up a couple cartons of cured roe so that I have plenty but have well over a kg.  Is that legal or is that still against the regs?  Fresh roe I could understand but not cured.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »

Killing rhinos for their horns, elephants for their tusks, leopards for their furs, sharks for their fins, fish for their roe...Nothing new. It's been done since the dawn of mankind.

When the last salmon dies, then it will stop. Human greed knows no boundaries.
well said and nice timing as the black rhino went officially extinct 3 days ago. finally no more black rhino poaching :-[

Suther

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »

well said and nice timing as the black rhino went officially extinct 3 days ago. finally no more black rhino poaching :-[

You are referring to the western black rhino, which has not been seen since 2001 and was declared extinct 2 years ago. The report was republished last week (hence the confusion)

The black rhino (there is 3 other sub species of black rhino,  western black rhino was the 4th) as a whole still exists in east and southern areas of Africa.

Suther

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »

Is this regulation only in regards to fresh uncured roe?  Let's say I wanted to go up for a week camping on the river, intending to fish for roe, so pack up a couple cartons of cured roe so that I have plenty but have well over a kg.  Is that legal or is that still against the regs?  Fresh roe I could understand but not cured.

I don't think the regs specify anything about cured or not. Your safest option would be to buy any roe over 1kg you need, and keep your receipt.

I wonder about bringing lots of roe but just leave most at your campsite so you are never in possession of too much while actually fishing? But I think that might still be asking for trouble...

TNAngler

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »

I don't think the regs specify anything about cured or not. Your safest option would be to buy any roe over 1kg you need, and keep your receipt.

I wonder about bringing lots of roe but just leave most at your campsite so you are never in possession of too much while actually fishing? But I think that might still be asking for trouble...

If that is a case that is a pretty dumb rule.  It isn't like you can cure roe that quick.

CoastRider

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »

"you must not have more than 1 kg of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for use as bait unless the roe was obtained from a commercial source that lawfully obtained that roe, or you have in your possession the freshly dressed fish from which the roe in excess of 1 kg was taken. Carry a receipt with you if you purchased roe from a commercial source."

Yeah, i assume campsite would still be considered in your possession. Just as your possession limit refers to in your possession, not at your ordinary residence. I would assume it would be the same deal, whereas at your campsite you can only have one possession limit(1kg).

However, I think most DFO officers would understand if you have cured roe, using it as bait.

charles

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »

No, you cannot, (not lawfully) since you cannot kill more than your limit whether you take them home or not, and it is unlawful to waste fish you catch, whether tossing in the trash or back into the river.

I was being sarcastic.  I thought it was clear that i was against it.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »

"you must not have more than 1 kg of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for use as bait unless the roe was obtained from a commercial source that lawfully obtained that roe, or you have in your possession the freshly dressed fish from which the roe in excess of 1 kg was taken. Carry a receipt with you if you purchased roe from a commercial source."

Now if a person had roe in their possession to consume themselves then the regulation in regards to the 1kg would not apply to them as they are not using it as bait. Good thing that the people who write the regs actually think every scenario through.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

TNAngler

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »

Now if a person had roe in their possession to consume themselves then the regulation in regards to the 1kg would not apply to them as they are not using it as bait. Good thing that the people who write the regs actually think every scenario through.

What if you are using the smell of it to help clear your sinuses?

Suther

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »

If that is a case that is a pretty dumb rule.  It isn't like you can cure roe that quick.

Don't most cures take under a day? Seems if its that important you could cure it at your campsite? Or just fish fresh roe if you catch a keepable doe?