Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead coho with slit abdomen  (Read 21319 times)

Outdoorsman

Re: Dead coho with slit abdomen
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »

Sad to see guides doing it on the stave to chum does to get sturgeon bait. Was there one day as a jet pulled up below us in our boat. Two guys and two little kids hop out, they hook and kill a doe. Drag it up on shore about 10 yards and bonk it. About 30 minutes later they gut the fish for the eggs, hop in their river hawk jet and move up to join their buddies a couple boats up from us. I was going to grab the fish and walk it up to them and toss it into their boat saying they forgot it back there. After thinking about it I didn't want to have to deal with some cops as these douche bags would probably have taken a swing because their boat floor got some slime on it.
Now THAT is disgusting. How people can do that and not even think it's wrong at all baffles me.... And it sucks to not speak up because of being afraid of a violent confrontation.

TNAngler

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 08:24:01 AM »

What do you think the commercial opening were for.  Trust me it wasnt for human consumption.  Two years ago we had a pink commercial opening just for roe (Russia), no bucks wanted.  We allow this.  I dont think the last opening for chum was for human food ether, more or less and excuse for coho or roe.

I've heard of this done in the states before too.  Selling the eggs to Japan so that they wouldn't have to buy our salmon, they could grow it themselves.  They would toss the bucks back into the river dead, the does they would slice, take the eggs, and toss them back too.

Greed is a powerful enemy.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »

Killing rhinos for their horns, elephants for their tusks, leopards for their furs, sharks for their fins, fish for their roe...Nothing new. It's been done since the dawn of mankind.

When the last salmon dies, then it will stop. Human greed knows no boundaries.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »

Human greed knows no boundaries.

sums it up nicely

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »

Something that should be added to the regs although in better wording is that dead fish on or in a river are not to be removed for use as bait. I was thinking that maybe the wild fish had already died and washed up on the shore before being slit open for roe. I know MANY guides take dead fish or their roe if they died prespawn for sturgeon bait all the time on many systems.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

TNAngler

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 11:23:59 AM »

Something that should be added to the regs although in better wording is that dead fish on or in a river are not to be removed for use as bait. I was thinking that maybe the wild fish had already died and washed up on the shore before being slit open for roe. I know MANY guides take dead fish or their roe if they died prespawn for sturgeon bait all the time on many systems.

Just out of curiosity, what is the harm in this?  The eggs are not going to be fertilized and therefore turned into new fish.  I guess it is removing nutrients from the system but other than that, I don't understand what the big deal is.  What am I missing?

If it is to make sure that people aren't killing fish for the roe and saying they were already dead, I could see that.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »

If it is to make sure that people aren't killing fish for the roe and saying they were already dead, I could see that.

you just answered your own question

Suther

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »

Don't the regs already clearly state no fin fish as bait except for sturgeon?

While there is no excuse for the wild one being slit maybe there is a reasonable explanation for the hatch...
If the guy only wanted the roe, and he was using legal techniques and stuff, its better to leave the fish at the river than toss it in the trash at home right? Or is this strictly against regs?

TNAngler

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 12:06:25 PM »

While there is no excuse for the wild one being slit maybe there is a reasonable explanation for the hatch...
If the guy only wanted the roe, and he was using legal techniques and stuff, its better to leave the fish at the river than toss it in the trash at home right? Or is this strictly against regs?

Why not bring the fish home, take the roe, and give the fish to a neighbor or somebody hard on their luck?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 12:18:40 PM »

Could be another reasonable explanation as well...

This year on the Vedder I wacked and bled a 12 pound hatch buck... 20 mins later I saw my fish floating down the river in front of me. It had somehow hopped off the stick I had pounded into the ground and back into the water (had it upstream of me where I couldn't watch it as I was fishing knee deep water downstream). The hatch doe I had was still on the stick.. no idea still how that buck got off.

charles

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »

The problem is, he/she can keep fishing and keep slitting fish if he is not keeping any.  Where do you draw the line?

buck

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »

Both fish in question appear to be pre spawn mortalities that the bait was removed from. Note the missing eyes on both fish that appear to have been dead for a day or two. Not something I would care to eat. Numerous female coho morts were encountered over a two month period on the Vedder/Chilliwack. Killing female chum for their roe is more of an issue and should be addressed.
I have to laugh at how many people said that they were going to smoke their chum catch only to discard the carcass.

Suther

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 02:00:01 PM »

The problem is, he/she can keep fishing and keep slitting fish if he is not keeping any.  Where do you draw the line?

Well the regs say you can't have more than 1kg roe on you without a dressed fish or receipt right?  Seems to me that there is already a line drawn...

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »

i smoked my chrome chum doe on monday and it was great. dont know why people would waste them.

charles

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »

Well the regs say you can't have more than 1kg roe on you without a dressed fish or receipt right?  Seems to me that there is already a line drawn...

If I take that logic, kept my 4 hatchery females, then go ahead and kept fishing till I have exactly 1 more kg of roe? or keep slitting fish till I am just under 1kg of roe, then start keeping my limit of fish...