Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead coho with slit abdomen  (Read 21317 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Dead coho with slit abdomen
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »

Found these abandoned dead coho with a slit abdomen today. First one was a hatchery-marked fish but fairly dark. Second one was a wild fish.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Dead coho with slit abdomen
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »

That's unfortunate to be happening on that system. The sport really needs some changes to fix this stuff.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »

It's their new method of spawning, Rodney.

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »

gross misconduct.

BCLAX

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »

gross misconduct.

Couldn't have said it any better.

bunnta

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »

i've witness a shady looking person slit his two chums and take the roe and leave awhile ago this year. This guy just gave off a bad vibe from the moment he showed up.  :o This person was just staring me down as if i was the opposition in some gang war. Every time i watched someone pull in a fish beside him i could see him giving me a glare >:(. Then it got hairy at one point he reached in pocket and pulls out his filet knife as if i was confronting him and proceeded to just stare at me and give the "visual body language" got a problem?. 5 minutes later, i see him pack it up and gut the roe out and high tail it out of there.  :o, i don't know what cereal he ate for breakfast but holy crap that just shocked me. I got wife waiting at home and this kind of bullcrap is not the kind of day i want to intervene.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 10:03:46 PM »

I've seen 5 coho (3 from the vedder and all wild) and 2 chums this year that were killed for their eggs.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »

It's extremely sad what people will do to get roe around here. Why not be a real fisherman, and use artificial and catch your doe PROPERLY. I have and will continue to confront and report people I see doing this as it boils my blood.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »

It's extremely sad what people will do to get roe around here. Why not be a real fisherman, and use artificial and catch your doe PROPERLY. I have and will continue to confront and report people I see doing this as it boils my blood.

I wish I were man enough and large enough to do this.  Sickening. :( >:(

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »

Sad to see guides doing it on the stave to chum does to get sturgeon bait. Was there one day as a jet pulled up below us in our boat. Two guys and two little kids hop out, they hook and kill a doe. Drag it up on shore about 10 yards and bonk it. About 30 minutes later they gut the fish for the eggs, hop in their river hawk jet and move up to join their buddies a couple boats up from us. I was going to grab the fish and walk it up to them and toss it into their boat saying they forgot it back there. After thinking about it I didn't want to have to deal with some cops as these douche bags would probably have taken a swing because their boat floor got some slime on it.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:20:31 PM »

I really don't get it...I'll take the roe from doe's I've caught so I can catch more fish...but to see or hear of salmon (hatchery at that) being slit for their eggs just baffles me. I didn't realize  there was such a black market for them....idiots.

Fisherama

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 12:11:12 AM »

Wow... how much does a container of cured roe run at a fishing store, $7-8?  Seems like an awful lot of work.

hungry6

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 02:51:31 AM »

After reading all the above posts, I'm still trying to get my head around the inconsiderate actions and waste of finite resource.
If, $7 buy a container of roe, wouldn't it be better to buy and support an industry where the rest of the fish will be process for other uses or consumption.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:14 AM »

I believe First Nations people are allowed to legally do this, but I don't want to divert the topic to a native bashing one. I just hate to see a waste of anything.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 03:58:15 AM »

What do you think the commercial opening were for.  Trust me it wasnt for human consumption.  Two years ago we had a pink commercial opening just for roe (Russia), no bucks wanted.  We allow this.  I dont think the last opening for chum was for human food ether, more or less and excuse for coho or roe.