Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1308822 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2340 on: August 26, 2016, 09:49:35 PM »

"That same year the federal government paid $4.1 million to two other corporations for the loss of farmed fish from the same virus in B.C. waters. The federal government has compensated corporate fish farms for disease losses with nearly $100 million in payments since 2011."

Nothing like a nice payday if things go wrong. Foreign corporations getting wads of Canadian taxpayer cash because things didn't work out. Defend that gravy boat boys.

Again as the thread title says.....Get your facts straight....
https://www.cermaq.com/wps/wcm/connect/msca-content-en/mainstream-canada/news/blog/blogger+errs+again+in+claims+about+salmon+farms+and+compensation

Same legislation that pays compensation to other livestock in the event of a disease outbreak where the producer is ordered by law to destroy the impacted and potentially impacted animals/birds. The compensation is nothing compared to what the livestock would be worth at market size so the producers are not making money from this. Lastly, and has been mentioned many times already, fish farmers that preemptively destroy there farmed fish before any order and confirmation of disease are not compensated by the legislation.  Those are the facts.....jack.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2341 on: August 26, 2016, 10:11:23 PM »

I was in Vancouver yesterday on the front lines filming and taking pictures, This is the first of 12 I filmed. I did not get arrested and the Vancouver Police where very helpful as we set up on the center of the street for part of the rally in support of those that were arrested. FB and SS will love to attack us on this action. ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/vdWxekTVZhY

First, I'm glad you didn't get arrested. Second, I don't "love" to attack you on this. It has nothing to do with attacking. Your leadership is making either false claims or is exaggerating things too much. They are inciting fear amongst First Nations who are basically be used because they have more political clout than the people on that sail boat. You need to start looking around and see what's going on with the ocean these days. Maybe wonder why anchovies are flourishing here for example. Instead First Nations are being sold the idea that if fish farms are gone from their territory there will be great runs of salmon again. Meanwhile, commercial fisherman clearly were caught breaking the rules and nobody from this boat says boo about. Morton figures it's best to keep good relations with these fisherman by saying the department was harassing them. Really?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fisheries-and-oceans-crackdown-northern-bc-1.3708492

By all means, stand with these people, Chris, but don't think the rest of us or going to give critics a free pass on this.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2342 on: August 27, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »

Ya, this is pathetic.  Those fish are dropping out of the population so they are near the surface at the edges looking not so great.  You see this in fish hatcheries as well.  What she doesn't show you is the other 99% of the population doing fine schooling normally.  This sampling strategy is the same method she uses when showing see lice.  Only showing what she hopes to be a gullible public.  Nothing new here, far from proof of anything other than her selective sampling display.

What Morton just posted was one of the most insanely, idiotic things I have ever heard. She doesn't come close to being rational.  This is probably one of the worst pieces of propaganda yet from her. Once again, an edited video clip showing only a very small fraction of the population. Doesn't take in consideration that some fish, even on fish hatcheries, do not look or behave like the rest. She omitted the fact that these fish were recently exposed to low dissolved oxygen concentrations where they were not fed until oxygen levels were favourable again. Feeding during times of stress would have made the situation worse. It also didn't help matters having Morton and her entourage in close proximity during this low dissolved oxygen event.

She takes video of fish and begins to speculate on their condition. Morton is back on with the  Furunculosis bandwagon but as history shows she knows very little about it.

https://salmonfarmscience.com/2013/01/18/alexandra-mortons-furunculosis-fable/

She also uses the video to start identifying juvenile fish which she couldn't do the first time. There was no mention of the recent story about the large abundance of anchovy in our waters. The warming of our local marine environment has resulted in more southern species, including anchovies, to be more successful here. Morton likely can't tell the difference between a juvenile herring and a stone fly.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/anchovy-schools-are-back-in-session-with-phenomenal-numbers-spawning-in-howe-sound

The by-catch argument was probably the most insane. It would not be uncommon for farmed salmon of that size or even wild salmon of similar size to go after smaller juvenile fish species. Then to blame BC fish farmers for using them as food for the farmed fish is absolutely ludicrous. Top it off with the very muted response to the recent  illegal commercial fishing practices by saying "just a couple of wild fish aboard". It was more than just a couple.  What arrogance and ignorance.  Those few could represent most of the fish from smaller, more depressed populations. It astounds me that there are people that can take her seriously. 

First hard evidence? Whatever. Lol.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2343 on: August 27, 2016, 10:22:16 AM »

First, I'm glad you didn't get arrested. Second, I don't "love" to attack you on this. It has nothing to do with attacking. Your leadership is making either false claims or is exaggerating things too much. They are inciting fear amongst First Nations who are basically be used because they have more political clout than the people on that sail boat. You need to start looking around and see what's going on with the ocean these days. Maybe wonder why anchovies are flourishing here for example. Instead First Nations are being sold the idea that if fish farms are gone from their territory there will be great runs of salmon again. Meanwhile, commercial fisherman clearly were caught breaking the rules and nobody from this boat says boo about. Morton figures it's best to keep good relations with these fisherman by saying the department was harassing them. Really?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fisheries-and-oceans-crackdown-northern-bc-1.3708492

By all means, stand with these people, Chris, but don't think the rest of us or going to give critics a free pass on this.
"They are inciting fear among First Nations who are basically be used because they have more political clout than the people on that sail boat."

First Nations as many of us know have a right to be fearful when one looks what we have done to them and there way of life since we arrived on their land, all in less than 200 years, shameful is putting it politely. In many cases the department you work for has, in some of our minds have not done a very good job of looking after our fish stocks, not only here in BC but the East Coast as well.

I am not blaming you and others in the lower parts of the department but those making the major decision have not done the best of jobs as has the governments in power.

One can still hope the new government may be able to right the ship. (Sea Shepard's Martin Sheen)lol but we must give them a chance too.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #2344 on: August 27, 2016, 07:05:04 PM »

Hey so wanna know how all the Morton haters are rationalizing away her latest video showing pretty nasty looking fish. Truly disgusting...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnzqvfpvc7A

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2345 on: August 27, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »

Hey so wanna know how all the Morton haters are rationalizing away her latest video showing pretty nasty looking fish. Truly disgusting...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnzqvfpvc7A
Read back a few responses.

Just curious swtf, do you have anything relevant to add to this discussion?  You know, something new?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:54:28 PM by Dave »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2346 on: August 27, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »

This will be great, hope Dave will come down to Vancouver and ask all the questions he wants answers too.

The Musgamagw Dzawada’enuxw in collaboration with Sea Shepherd and Alexandra Morton call for your support as we, in assertion of our indigenous rights, deliver a message to remove fish farms from our traditional territories to the governments of British Columbia and Canada.

Delegates T'łat'łagwoł (Melissa Willie), Chief Okwilagame (Willie Moon), K'wak'wabalas (Ernest Alfred) & Chief Waxawidi (William Wasden Jr) will be departing with the crew of the R/V Martin Sheen & Alexandra Morton from Campbell River, Monday August 29th, 1:00 pm

The ship will stopover in the following locations (times may change depending on conditions) :

Comox - Tuesday, August 30th 11:00 am
Nanaimo - Wednesday, August 31st 3:00 pm
Victoria Inner Harbour - Saturday, September 3rd 1:00 pm
Vancouver - Monday, September 5th 1:00 pm

We request your support to unite in solidarity with all indigenous nations, who also face industrial exploitation of their ancestral territories, to come and add your voice to these rallies.

"The wild salmon connect all of us, they migrate through all of our territories. We depend on it. So let's link arms and come together. I also ask British Columbians, I know a lot of you don't agree with fish farming - link arms with us!" Chief Ol’ Siwid (Mike Willie)

For further information on this movement see
Our Website: cleansingourwaters.com
Facebook Page: Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw Cleansing Our Waters
Twitter: fishfarmsgetout@fishfarmsout
Instagram: cleansingourwaters
http://www.seashepherd.org/
https://www.voyageforsalmon.ca/

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #2347 on: August 27, 2016, 08:25:08 PM »

Read back a few responses.

Just curious swtf, do you have anything relevant to add to this discussion?  You know, something new?

I tried but this thread gets pretty thick. Lot's of facts that are having to be 'straightened' I suppose.

Spare me the deep dive back 5 pages... I'm sure you or farmerB could update me on how smolts being attracted to farm feed pellets and in turn either predated or in close proximity to clearly quite ill and diseased fish is somehow no big deal.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #2348 on: August 27, 2016, 08:26:12 PM »

This will be great, hope Dave will come down to Vancouver and ask all the questions he wants answers too.

The Musgamagw Dzawada’enuxw in collaboration with Sea Shepherd and Alexandra Morton call for your support as we, in assertion of our indigenous rights, deliver a message to remove fish farms from our traditional territories to the governments of British Columbia and Canada.

Delegates T'łat'łagwoł (Melissa Willie), Chief Okwilagame (Willie Moon), K'wak'wabalas (Ernest Alfred) & Chief Waxawidi (William Wasden Jr) will be departing with the crew of the R/V Martin Sheen & Alexandra Morton from Campbell River, Monday August 29th, 1:00 pm

The ship will stopover in the following locations (times may change depending on conditions) :

Comox - Tuesday, August 30th 11:00 am
Nanaimo - Wednesday, August 31st 3:00 pm
Victoria Inner Harbour - Saturday, September 3rd 1:00 pm
Vancouver - Monday, September 5th 1:00 pm

We request your support to unite in solidarity with all indigenous nations, who also face industrial exploitation of their ancestral territories, to come and add your voice to these rallies.

"The wild salmon connect all of us, they migrate through all of our territories. We depend on it. So let's link arms and come together. I also ask British Columbians, I know a lot of you don't agree with fish farming - link arms with us!" Chief Ol’ Siwid (Mike Willie)

For further information on this movement see
Our Website: cleansingourwaters.com
Facebook Page: Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw Cleansing Our Waters
Twitter: fishfarmsgetout@fishfarmsout
Instagram: cleansingourwaters
http://www.seashepherd.org/
https://www.voyageforsalmon.ca/

Thanks Chris I will share widely.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #2349 on: August 27, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »

Just curious about the hatchery argument because last time I checked ALL where on land not on migratory routes.Am I missing something?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2350 on: August 27, 2016, 08:57:16 PM »

I tried but this thread gets pretty thick. Lot's of facts that are having to be 'straightened' I suppose.

Spare me the deep dive back 5 pages... I'm sure you or farmerB could update me on how smolts being attracted to farm feed pellets and in turn either predated or in close proximity to clearly quite ill and diseased fish is somehow no big deal.
Why should you be spared some background reading - it might bring you up to speed.
What smolts?  Are you referring to the small fish shown to be eaten in Almo's video?
Have you visited a salmon hatchery and observed the juvenile fish (or adult broodstock) on the perimetry of rearing channels or pens? if so you know not all fish are looking their best .. that's life in general and especially so in a fish pond.

Again, bring us something new.  I and others will be all over it because we are truly interested but this is all old stuff and frankly regurgitating old info is getting boring.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2351 on: August 27, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »

Just curious about the hatchery argument because last time I checked ALL where on land not on migratory routes.Am I missing something?
I don't know what you are referring to so I cannot say whether you are missing something or not.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2352 on: August 27, 2016, 09:55:47 PM »

"They are inciting fear among First Nations who are basically be used because they have more political clout than the people on that sail boat."

First Nations as many of us know have a right to be fearful when one looks what we have done to them and there way of life since we arrived on their land, all in less than 200 years, shameful is putting it politely. In many cases the department you work for has, in some of our minds have not done a very good job of looking after our fish stocks, not only here in BC but the East Coast as well.

I am not blaming you and others in the lower parts of the department but those making the major decision have not done the best of jobs as has the governments in power.

One can still hope the new government may be able to right the ship. (Sea Shepard's Martin Sheen)lol but we must give them a chance too.

As you post these recent links you haven't attempted to defend these conclusions or address any of the issues some of us have with them. Why not?  I mean if these recent claims from Morton are justification for this injustice you speak about then you should be able to articulate to me how these claims make sense. Do you agree with Morton's characterization of recent Departmental action towards those commercial fishermen in the article I posted?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2354 on: August 28, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »

Signed the petition, thanks for the link Chris.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?