Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1341057 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2355 on: August 28, 2016, 10:05:18 PM »

So the pro boys club thinks we should invite foreign companies in and when they fail  we just throw open the cash drawer and toss them our money. Makes perfect sense - to the offshore owned companies. When they win they win and when they lose  they win. With our tax dollars. That is patently ridiculous. I don't agree with pay outs or bail outs for Canadian business let alone foreign nationals sucking on Canada's teat.. Yeah I know its been said before but it needs to be said again and again until it's just not done any more. Sink or swim, but don't expect my wallet to fly open. I run a small business that's had good times and tough times but I never got one plugged nickel when the chips were down nor did I expect anything. But its a-OK for the feedlots that ship the profits offshore and to belly up to the tax trough. Just plain weird.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:01:28 PM by Novabonker »
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2357 on: August 29, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016AGRI0049-001545?WT.mc_id=NEWS&WT.cg_n=HootSuite
Not sure if you know or even think about it but there is more to making more money and more money at the expense of the environment and those that call it home, and that includes us.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2359 on: August 29, 2016, 11:15:49 PM »

Not sure if you know or even think about it but there is more to making more money and more money at the expense of the environment and those that call it home, and that includes us.

I like that statement but there how do recent events by this cruise further our knowledge to protect that environment that you talk about. If you can't defend it or explain it then you should pose questions to those that are professing it. I noticed that you steered clear of criticizing Morton for her comments about recent DFO enforcement of illegal commercial fishing. If that's the case, then I have to take your criticisms of the department with a grain of salt because on one hand you talk about departmental mismanagement of the salmon fishery, but on the other when the department takes action on illegal by catch to protect the fishery you feel is being neglected you have no comment after Morton refers to it as harassment.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2360 on: August 30, 2016, 10:00:57 AM »

Portions of Morton's "10 minute" video were shown on Global News last night.

Paints a very bad picture for fish farms.

Ambassador

« Reply #2361 on: August 30, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »

Portions of Morton's "10 minute" video were shown on Global News last night.

Paints a very bad picture for fish farms.
I just watched that video and it is hard to watch what is going on there. The skinny fish with the heart and skeletal muscle inflammation - that is really disturbing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnzqvfpvc7A
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2362 on: August 30, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »

I just watched that video and it is hard to watch what is going on there. The skinny fish with the heart and skeletal muscle inflammation - that is really disturbing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnzqvfpvc7A

Proof doesn't matter. Wait for the denial,or the video is rigged; a rant against MS. Morton or some other such nonsense. I do feel sorry for the fish and scorn for the feedlot for not putting those suffering creatures out of their misery.
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2363 on: August 31, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »

Why would Doc Morton not just ask a farmer what they do with the few fish like that? She was right there on the farm. Seems she just does not want to know and I guess speculation gets her more attention.

banx

« Reply #2364 on: September 01, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »

well tell us robert, what do you do with a fish when you see it like that?  ;)

Ambassador

« Reply #2365 on: September 01, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »

Why would Doc Morton not just ask a farmer what they do with the few fish like that? She was right there on the farm. Seems she just does not want to know and I guess speculation gets her more attention.
When mom comes to visit - you clean the dishes and hide the bong.

This is the video Alex took after the farmer most likely already did all in their power to make it as pristine-looking an operation as possible. What does it look like on a normal day when the environment police are not on-site and looking for problems?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:04:05 PM by Ambassador »
Roderick Haig-Brown

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2366 on: September 01, 2016, 11:41:45 PM »

When mom comes to visit - you clean the dishes and hide the bong.

This is the video Alex took after the farmer most likely already did all in their power to make it as pristine-looking an operation as possible. What does it look like on a normal day when the environment police are not on-site and looking for problems?

This is you talking out your butt.  You might want to find out more about HSMI and how it's diagnosed and how it isn't.
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=tp&crtr.page=1&nid=1069579

Ambassador

« Reply #2367 on: September 03, 2016, 01:47:36 AM »

This is you talking out your butt.  You might want to find out more about HSMI and how it's diagnosed and how it isn't.
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=tp&crtr.page=1&nid=1069579
Not the most informative article - but hey - I'm always up for expanding my perspective. Anything with a quote from Hunter Tootoo must be legit  ;D

How exactly am I talking out my butt? Was I speaking about specifics of diagnosis of this condition? Nope. I was commenting on the transparency of these operations and their apparent inability to prevent the growth of biological monstrosities and other unnatural conditions that are not beneficial to the natural environment.

I have no financial interest in fish farming. My comments are from the perspective of a concerned citizen of this planet. Outdoorsmen and fishermen should have concerns about the effect open-net pen fish farms have on our wild species such as salmon, trout, herring, anchovies, dogfish, cod, etc.

If images like we saw in Alex's video don't make you the slightest bit uneasy, then I don’t know what to say.
Roderick Haig-Brown

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2368 on: September 03, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »

How exactly am I talking out my butt? Was I speaking about specifics of diagnosis of this condition? Nope.
Actually you were jumping to conclusions without evidence....sort of like the person shooting the video:

I just watched that video and it's hard to watch what is going on there - the skinny fish with heart and skeletal muscular inflammation - that is really disturbing

That's why I posted that link. Facts are right there. You may also want to check out comments from the real scientists themselves like Dr. Kristi-Miller Saunders in regards to this. Also HSMI isn't diagnosed with video.

I was commenting on the transparency of these operations and their apparent inability to prevent the growth of biological monstrosities and other unnatural conditions that are not beneficial to the natural environment.

What do you really know about the transparency of these operations or the situation in question? Cermaq has been quite open with recent conditions on these farms in question if you go to their website. They even explained this recent event to Morton. They also notified federal authorities as they are supposed to. As per fish health protocols samples were taken for testing. Federally reportable diseases are required by law to be reported. What do you know about the applicable Federal legislation that governs the industry or the scientific research that is currently being done? Additionally, if you go to the Cermaq website you will see that they are making efforts to be transparent:

http://www.cermaq.com/wps/wcm/connect/msca-content-en/mainstream-canada/news/press-room/public+reporting

http://www.marineharvest.ca/planet/environmental_commitment/additional-data-reporting/2016-archive/

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/reporting-rapports/index-eng.html

What are these "biological monstrosities" you are talking about? What do you know about these monstrosities?

My comments are from the perspective of a concerned citizen of this planet. Outdoorsmen and fishermen should have concerns about the effect open-net pen fish farms have on our wild species such as salmon, trout, herring, anchovies, dogfish, cod, etc.

If images like we saw in Alex's video don't make you the slightest bit uneasy, then I don’t know what to say.

It's good to be concerned. It's also good to be informed. Edited videos like that do not help the general public with being informed. It's meant to shock people without providing any facts or context. The video was very successful in hooking many people; however, videos do not always tell the whole story.  You are trusting someone who knows very little about what they are talking about. That should make you feel uneasy.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 11:28:40 PM by shuswapsteve »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2369 on: September 05, 2016, 08:27:43 PM »

Great rally in Vancouver today, for those interested my pictures are on Salmon are Sacred, there was CTV coverage as well, have not checked for the link yet. I filmed most of the rally, will post them as I get them uploaded.