Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sink tips for winter steel on the vedder t-?  (Read 13391 times)

180gall

Sink tips for winter steel on the vedder t-?
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

Hey guys
New to spey and I wondering what weight tip
Or tips for the vedde?

Thanks
Wishin I was fishin.........

Burkie

Re: Sink tips for winter steel on the vedder t-?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »

Depends on the run you are fishing and the conditions. Colder the water the deeper u want to get. U can use anything from a type 3 to the heaviest tips u can buy. I use a tip that will get down but not snagging bottom all the time. Generally I use a type 6 or 8 and change the flies instead. Not really into chucking heavier tips.

180gall

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »

Thanks for the reply
I have a 6. I'll have to stop by my lts and pick up a 8 and maybe a 10.
Thanks again

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »

here are my 3 mostly used tips for winter steel on the Vedder

T-8 - i use this mostly in late March through until the end of May when the water temps warm up and fish will move farther to attack something
T-11 - my mostly used tip, gets down but not on the bottom in almost every run in the Vedder with slight angle adjustments to your cast
T-14 - I will use this if i cant get down enough in deep runs or with faster water where i need a quicker sink

go into M&Y and have them make you up 12-15 foot tips out of their BULK stock for each sink rate. have them do a different coloured thread for each so you can tell them apart later on. 12 foot tips will be slightly easier to cast especially on shorter spey rods, if your slinging a single hander the 15' tips will actually cast smoother and give you a few more "grains" of weight to shoot the line further. I mostly use 15' tips for swinging but i do also have 10' & 12' tips of each of my heavier tips as well.

you can also utilize an intermediate shooting head or full sink line for swinging flies in the colder months. this will aid in slowing your swing down which slows the fly down which is how winter fish like it. I have an intermediate shooting head from Scientific Anglers and my favourite place to use it is in riffle water because it allows me to cut through the surface water (current is fastest at surface) and slow the swing down. this is usually the type of water fly guys ignore !!

good luck out there  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »

have them do a different coloured thread for each.

you obviously havent seen our new airflo welding machine? ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:20 PM »

I saw it when Adrienne posted it on her FB months ago but no i havent seen it in person. I did the loops on mine at home so i could color code them myself  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Burkie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:21 PM »

The bulk tip are awesome..just like the factory welded loops  and cheaper too

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »

As said, it depends on the run, water level, speed, etc.

I have 12ft lengths of T8, T11 and T14 that I use behind a skagit. I used t11 the most often and will change between weighted and unweighted flys if I can, as that's a lot quicker then swaping tips.

In the spring when the water is warmer I like and airflo rage head with various sink polyleaders.

Burkie

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »

Yep I also change my flies instead I my tip. Also the angle of my casts

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

I only have a 15'  T 11 for my single handed (lost my T 8 last March on a hook up mid river just before hooking a 12 pound Buck on my intermediate sink tip on a lower river run, and still have not replaced it).  I find the T 11 gets down on most runs I fish it (4-7 feet deep walking speed (evidenced by the ticking on the rocks near the end of the drift and start of the swing).  I will change the angle of cast slightly as needed (more of a down stream angle for shallower runs) and I also switch between weighted and unweighted flies (I also tie a few flies of the same pattern where I use heavier eyes on one and smaller eyes on another, and none on yet another, so I then can fish the same pattern. On the shallower runs and riffles (under 3 feet) I use my clear intermediate tip.
Not all those who wander are lost

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »

nice info on this thread guys. thank you. :)

joshhowat

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:40 PM »

I use to go crazy on what tip use. Rack everyone's brain about it. Then I started catching a few fish and soon realized it don't matter that much. Just put on a sink tip t8 t11 or t14 and fish it hard and don't waste time changing it all the time. Like others have said use a weighted fly or adjust your cast angle.

I find t11 around 12 feet sets my anchor well and cast a mile with a whole bunny at the end.

Cover water and hang on!!!
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »

I use to go crazy on what tip use. Rack everyone's brain about it. Then I started catching a few fish and soon realized it don't matter that much. Just put on a sink tip t8 t11 or t14 and fish it hard and don't waste time changing it all the time. Like others have said use a weighted fly or adjust your cast angle.

I find t11 around 12 feet sets my anchor well and cast a mile with a whole bunny at the end.

Cover water and hang on!!!

I second 12 ft of t11, that's what I am most comfortable with and primarily use. Like other said, if need be adjust the angle.
However depending on the conditions I might use a t8 chunk for the lower.
A swung fly is the best fly.

Pat AV

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »

Like others here I tie flies in a variety of weights and switch my flies instead of my tips, my go to tip for the Vedder is my 15ft type 8. I can fish most situations with this tip and different fly weights/ cast angles.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

180gall

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:46 PM »

Thanks for all the great info guys.
I'm going to pick up a t-11 and a t-14 probably
12.5'. I'll give them a go on sun. Thanks again.