Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 handed stripping?  (Read 3511 times)

ALBA CHIEFISH

2 handed stripping?
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know what everybody thought about easy of stripping with a 2 hander. The reason i ask is because i am still looking for the prefect beach rod for the Coho and pink on the Island. Coho and pinks like a stripped fly, the guy at Nile Creek recommends 2 handers to get the distance on the beach. when i strip the fly up to the rod tip with my 2 hander im left with so what difficult task of flipping line out of a 2 hander. any thoughts ?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: 2 handed stripping?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »

use a switch or surf rod and line it with something like a Wulff Ambush, Rio Outbound or Airflo 40+ type lines. the use of a stripping basket will also make life easier and help shoot more line. You can use a head/running line but it doesnt seem to be as nice to work with off the beach as a proper full length fly line

im not sure of which other companies make a two handed surf rod besides Beulah. It was 11' where as their switches are only 10'6"

I suggest you listen to Courtney from Nile creek, he knows what he's talking about when it comes to 2handed rods and fishing the beaches in the area  ;)

P.S. Courtney is the old guy that owns the shop for those that dont know  :)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Burkie

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »

I use a switch for beach fishing .. And yes stripping basket is a must..too much crap floating around and I can shoot line for distance better.
The lines he mentioned are good also there is a Skagit short by rio with a 20 foot head.  I think Cnd has a surf rod as well.

chief

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:23:46 PM »

Suggest an Echo Switch Rod  8wt with integrated fly line and stripping basket. Have used it in Baja of the beach with 2 handed retrieve (rod under your armpit) and over head casting to get the fly back out there . Can be tricky if there are sand dunes and other obstacles behind you which will limit the distance you can throw  your fly. Otherwise a fun way to fish !

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »

how close can that stuff be behind you when your beach fishing ??

the thing about having a two hander is that about 30' of line is all that needs to be out the rod tip, then you just flip it behind you (like you would single handed but with both hands on the rod) and then just go into your forward cast and let go of the line and watch it fly, fly, fly........  :o

It does take a little bit of practice to get the proper timing to really put out 100' + casts every time

HOOK - cant wait to use his switch rod on pinks this year  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Stickleback

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:42:58 AM »

I have never really liked two handed rods for cast and strip presentations.... They just aren't as effective tools for the job as a single hander IMO.
A GREAT way to maximize distance on the beach is to use an overhead shooting head(40+, Rio Outbound, or just the front taper of a wff) coupled with a MONO running line.
The mono running line (35lb slick shooter) doesn't nearly have the same amount of drag going through the guides as fly line..
A stripping basket and the shooting head method will give you great distance.  Ideally, your shooting head should be around 30' for 9-10' single hand rod.
I would pick up a cheap floater, like the dragon fly, and chop it where the head meets the running line.
Courtney at nile creek does use short two handers off the beach...HE AIN'T THAT OLD!