Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One Hand or Two?  (Read 18415 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: One Hand or Two?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 08:41:44 AM »

I'm just getting into the world of two-handed casting after about 15 years of using a single hander.  One thing I can recommend is this - for salmon fishing in the LML, I wouldn't use anything less than a 7 weight single hander.  Yes, one could get away with a 5/6 weight for small salmon (e.g. pinks).  Sure, you can just "break off" if you hook a big fish.  But after I've put in the effort to tie a nice fly, I don't like breaking flies off.  My 5 weights are used for the interior lakes for trout.

If you're not sure about what weight to use, check with the rod manufacturer's recommendations.   ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »

obviously your not paying attention  ::)

I am fully aware a 4wt switch is not the same as a 4wt single however it IS NOT the equivalent of a 7wt single as you eluded to earlier !

I think the reason people may think this way is because of how fly lines work in regards to using single handed lines for two handed rods. two handed rods need higher grain weights to load properly

Two hander - single handed lines

4wt - 7wt
5wt - 8wt
6wt - 9wt
and so on. of course this is not an exact science but its a place to start when trying to match single handed lines to a two handed rod (usually switches)

Im not sure exactly how they figure out line weights for rods but im sure it has something to do with breaking strength, blank thickness.........etc.

im sure if you were to google your 4wt switch or a 4wt spey it will say they are recommended for fish up to 5lbs (maybe even smaller!!) of course we all know they can handle more weight but to say they are a good match for salmon is just an unethical thing to say especially talking to a newbie fisher/fly fisher. They will not have the skills to control large fish on light tackle and therefore be tiring fish out to the point of death or breaking their tackle costing them money and frustration.

feel free to continue using your 4wt switch for coho because obviously nothing that is said will change your mind. I just dont like seeing people suggest tackle that is too light for the species they are targetting.

HOOK - has used a 5wt for Squamish pinks many times however now has a 5/6 switch to use instead. Wait ! will i even feel them on it ?  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Burkie

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »

I used to fish a 7 wt sage xp single for coho for years ...and the power to bring in fish with my switch is about the same..intact I might even have more leverage with my switch..I did not recommend the rod to anyone I said it was what I use.  Rod wt rating is not all the same for all rod manufactuer.  Some might be higher then what it is or lower by a wt. 

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »

I completely agree about rod blanks from one company to another. Have you ever seen the youtube videos put out by Echo on their rods breaking strength ?

another thing is that older rods weighed more because they had thicker graphite than rods do nowadays. the graphite then compared to now is night and day as well. I remember casting a friends older Sage RPL and it felt like a meat stick compared to the two newer Sages i also cast that day. I think it was a 7wt, another i cast was an 8wt and 6" longer, then there was my 5wt. We were fishing pinks off the beach, love pinks  ;D

Burkie - how come you havent stated what your 4wt is ? I do remember asking

Check out our new blog

Burkie

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:07 PM »

I did on earlier posts..  It's a 4wt meiser. I have never ever had any trouble landing any coho on this rod with ease.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »

I completely agree about rod blanks from one company to another. Have you ever seen the youtube videos put out by Echo on their rods breaking strength ?

another thing is that older rods weighed more because they had thicker graphite than rods do nowadays. the graphite then compared to now is night and day as well. I remember casting a friends older Sage RPL and it felt like a meat stick compared to the two newer Sages i also cast that day. I think it was a 7wt, another i cast was an 8wt and 6" longer, then there was my 5wt. We were fishing pinks off the beach, love pinks  ;D

Burkie - how come you havent stated what your 4wt is ? I do remember asking

Actually, it was an RPL+ 896.  It was a top end Sage rod back in the late 1990s.  Awesome lifting power - I used this rod to turn chrome bullet chums on the Squish, and big whities on the Vedder.

Hey Burkie, I also have a Sage XP 7 wt and it is a beautiful stick for small salmon.  I wouldn't use it for chums or springs though.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »

FFM - you have to agree it felt alot heavier in hand compared to the FLi 896 that Stratocaster had which was only a mid range series. Sorry i thought yours was a 9footer and a 7wt so actually the two rods were of exact same length and line wt  ;)
Which rod do you grab when your headed to a river with coho but also full of chum and possibly springs as well ?

XP was also the highest end Sage made at the time was it not ?

HOOK - isnt a huge fan of donating flies to the big brutes in our systems  >:(

EDIT -- I just read back and there is no mention of a 4wt Meiser, either it was deleted (very possible) or you meant to type it and forgot to (also very possible)
I also looked at the Meiser website and his 4/5wt Highlander classic switch says "all game fish 3-12lbs" !! thats one hell of a meat stick 4wt  :o
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:50:13 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2013, 11:00:21 PM »

FFM - you have to agree it felt alot heavier in hand compared to the FLi 896 that Stratocaster had which was only a mid range series. Sorry i thought yours was a 9footer and a 7wt so actually the two rods were of exact same length and line wt  ;)
Which rod do you grab when your headed to a river with coho but also full of chum and possibly springs as well ?

XP was also the highest end Sage made at the time was it not ?

HOOK - isnt a huge fan of donating flies to the big brutes in our systems  >:(

EDIT -- I just read back and there is no mention of a 4wt Meiser, either it was deleted (very possible) or you meant to type it and forgot to (also very possible)
I also looked at the Meiser website and his 4/5wt Highlander classic switch says "all game fish 3-12lbs" !! thats one hell of a meat stick 4wt  :o

The XP replaced the RPL+ as Sage's premium fast action rod.  Yes, the 896 FLi is lighter in hand - I picked one up as a back-up 8 wt rod for a very good price (it was being replaced by the Flight series).  Amazing how much rod technology changes over a few years!  If I were to target coho, I'd go with my Sage 2106 and Stratocaster's secret sauce roe.   ;D ;D ;D

All kidding aside, for coho I'd prefer the 7 wt XP, but would probably go with the 8 wt RPL+ or 8 wt FLi if there were big springs and chums in the mix.  But...now that I've got a Z-Axis 7 wt switch... ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:05:37 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

Burkie

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »

Depending on the rod the meiser rods are super light ..except for the mks series. And they bend  right through the cork. Fish one if u get a chance and you will know why people rave about his rods.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:32 AM »

I cant say i have "fished" one but i have cast a few of other people's Meisers while they felt the need to feel up my setup  :o

HOOK - would really like a 510 Pieroway Metal Detector  ;D
Check out our new blog

roseph

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »

I did on earlier posts..  It's a 4wt meiser. I have never ever had any trouble landing any coho on this rod with ease.

guy named 'Burkie' fishing a Meiser hey?  Reminds me of that guy who works at the Pacific Centre Apple Store named Sam Sung.

Burkie

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »

Also fish burkies as well