Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting Steelhead.  (Read 6710 times)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
Fighting Steelhead.
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:22:24 AM »

Hey guys,

Happy New Years!

This is my 4th season Steel Heading.  I started off with a spinning rod and reel in the 1st season, 2nd season switched to a level wind. End of the 2nd season I've switched to an Islander Steel header center pin and currently using it.

Seasons 1-3 I went out maybe 10-15 times a season.  I wouldn't say I've hooked on a crap load of fish or anything as I was learning every year how to read the river better and finding the fish.  It was definitely tough.  I started off using a cheaper 10'6 trophy xl rod that i use for salmon - slow action - light-med.  I learned quickly this year that rod is not the best at all for recovery time during the head shakes of the steelies. 

I have lost 7 fish in a row on that rod this year before buying my G-loomis GL2 11'4 1363. 

I took my new rod out for a go on Jan 3rd and ended up connecting again.  I felt i had wayyyyyy more control especially with setting the hook at a long distance or at the end of your drift.  The back bone was also way better of course.  I ended up losing that fishing right at the bank.  However,  that could be because of many reasons.  I do feel confident that I will land more fish with the Gloomis. 

This year I'm learning that I'm able to find the fish and connect with them which is half the game.  Now I need to get better at landing them.  I don't lose many salmon when i hook them.  This is turning out to be my best steelie season as I've connect with 8 in 6 trips.  I can only see it getting better.  But any tips perhaps fighting them properly? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  I'm pretty good with keeping the tension while fighting the fish.  I remember talking to Chris where one year he had lost something lik 8-10 in a row or something like that.  I'm feeling his pain.

Any tips will help.

Thanks in Advance.

Steal Mo,
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: Fighting Steelhead.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »

Sometimes you just lose some fish.  You'll go through waves where you'll lose 8 in a row.  Then another time you'll land 10 straight.  It's weird that way!

My only real tips besides what everyone already should know (keep tension on the line, don't horse them in, etc) is to try using side pressure more often.  Rather than "always keep the tip up" like we're taught, keep the rod bent but to the side - preferably opposite to the direction the fish is going.  This turns it's head and keeps the fish off-balance, tiring it out and disorienting it.  In addition, it keeps more line in the water with less potential for slack line in the air (more relevant to fly fishing as the line is thicker).

Side pressure is one of the best things I've learned in the past decade or so of fishing.

Good luck!

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »

Sometimes you just lose some fish.  You'll go through waves where you'll lose 8 in a row.  Then another time you'll land 10 straight.  It's weird that way!

My only real tips besides what everyone already should know (keep tension on the line, don't horse them in, etc) is to try using side pressure more often.  Rather than "always keep the tip up" like we're taught, keep the rod bent but to the side - preferably opposite to the direction the fish is going.  This turns it's head and keeps the fish off-balance, tiring it out and disorienting it.  In addition, it keeps more line in the water with less potential for slack line in the air (more relevant to fly fishing as the line is thicker).

Side pressure is one of the best things I've learned in the past decade or so of fishing.

Good luck!

Wow, I think you just fixed my problem.  Since I've switched to the Pin I rarely use the side pressure.  When I've popped off the fish it's always been Rod tip up with pressure.  Makes soo much sense now that i think about it.  I guess I've never lost soo much fish before to start questioning my style of fishing. 

Thank you soo much!! I'm definitely excited for the next battle with a steel head.  I'll be out again tomorrow!

Steal,

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:49:48 AM »

- Set the hook like a mad man
- Keep your hooks sharp
- Keep your line tight
- Side pressure like Tex says, always be on the opposite side of where it's going. (You can learn this from the bass anglers on WFN)
- Don't rush them
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:51:19 AM by adriaticum »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »

fish also rarely jump when side pressure is applied. I find that with steelhead if they jump alot they get tend to also get away most of the time  :'(

if you get fish whether it be salmon or steelhead that run too far downstream hold your rod tip just above or even below the waters surface and angled 90degrees to the other bank or even upstream, this for some reason causes the fish to swim back up stream  ???  works great for hot fish so you can get them back under control. I used this on a steely last year that went for a screaming run heading its way directly out of the run, it turned right as it was entering the shallows and swam calmly back up to me as i just slowly reeled in line  ;D

the more you fish steel the more you will realize what baits/lures/plastics make them react certain ways. I rarely lose fish when im fishing roe/wool/jensen eggs... because they just pull it down, when im fishing worms/flies/blades/lures... they tend to smash it and usually go airborne or screaming in the opposite direction due to the "swinging" nature you present those types of gear. This is just my personal experiences and every fish is different of course, I have yet to land a fish on a blade even though i have hooked many  :'(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »

I think the side pressure causes one gill plate to stay closed so the fish gets tired faster because it can't breathe.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

Are you fishing roe bags? They are notorious for loosing fish as are pink worms.

Another few things to consider:

-How long is your leader? Longer leaders generally allow a fish more time to 'spit' your bait before the bite is detected.

-Are you casting to the far side of the river or doing super long drifts? The more line you have out the harder it is to get a 'clean' hookset.

-Keep your fish from the thrashing on the surface as much as is possible, especially once you have it in close.
Actions speak louder than words.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »

Are you fishing roe bags? They are notorious for loosing fish as are pink worms.

Another few things to consider:

-How long is your leader? Longer leaders generally allow a fish more time to 'spit' your bait before the bite is detected.

-Are you casting to the far side of the river or doing super long drifts? The more line you have out the harder it is to get a 'clean' hookset.

-Keep your fish from the thrashing on the surface as much as is possible, especially once you have it in close.

Lol, wow I'm fishing roe bags and pink worms. I've hooked most on pink worms and rig them up with a jig head. My leader is really short. 18 inches. My casting will cover the whole body of the water as I work the run. I generally lose them half way in. I short float all the time. My float above my swivel is most of the time one foot - 1.5feet above.  

Thanks everybody so far for all the tips. It's really going to help me.

Steal,
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:34:39 PM by Steal_Mo_Head »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »

Lol, wow I'm fishing roe bags and pink worms. I've hooked most on pink worms and rig them up with a jig head. My leader is really short. 18 inches. My casting will cover the whole body of the water as I work the run. I generally lose them half way in. I short float all the time. My float above my swivel is most of the time one foot - 1.5feet above.  

Thanks everybody so far for all the tips. It's really going to help me.

Steal,

What size and type of jig hooks are you using ? 

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

the side pressure is key as mentioned it keeps more line in the water than straight up in the air, rod tip up is good in the ocean but on the banks you need to keep it a little lower.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »

what kind of hooks and what size are you using ?

I dont use a leader longer than 14 inches , no matter what.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »

If using jigs especially the sickle hooks hammer a good hookset, another thing is let the fish run when it wants to go they can and will rip the hook out of their face if they pull hard enough.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »

If using jigs especially the sickle hooks hammer a good hookset, another thing is let the fish run when it wants to go they can and will rip the hook out of their face if they pull hard enough.

Nice, I actually use the Bent Rod jig head hooks. I use the other ones to tie my own jigs as well.

Stuart Dickinson

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »

Do any of you guys use circle hooks?  I have really been converted to them since moving to S. Florida.  I love the fact that you don't have to do the dramatic Bass fishing TV show hookset, just apply some gentle pressure, and get great hook sets every time!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »

Cant remember the last time Ive lost a fish on a jig, those hooks just get planted so well. Even started to change to sickle hooks on all my blades.