Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting Steelhead.  (Read 6711 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Fighting Steelhead.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »

Cant remember the last time Ive lost a fish on a jig, those hooks just get planted so well. Even started to change to sickle hooks on all my blades.

All I use now are sickle hooks for fishing bait, spoons, worms, everything.
I have found that I barley lose fish any more, unless I break them off which I seem to be doing a lot these days.

If you wanna give sickles a try, I highly recommend Matzou's (and not the Can Tire type - get em from the states).
Super sharp and often I have a fish well hooked before I even know what is going on (float goes down and they are on without a hook set).

Cheers,
Dan

Dryfly22

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »

When you hook a Steelie and it sits out in the run just apply pressure and wait it out. A calm fish in the run/pool is the best case.  I know we should all land a fish as quick as possible if it is wild to release.  But when I hook a fish and it comes up and stays at 90 degrees to me apply the side pressure down against the fish.  Keeping the fish across from you really helps IMO.  That is key so move your my friend to keep it at 90 degrees if you can, so many people hook a fish and become a statue.  Move around.  If you have help, keep a long line and walk backwards.  When the fish runs let it.  When it lays over on it's side in the shallows it is done.  Dont drag it up on the rocks unless it is hatch and you want to retain it, and dont use any type of gloves to tail it.  If it is wild and you are one of the rods here that catch multiple Steel forget the photo and slip the hook out.  Drives me crazy when I see the "regulars" that catch their 10 hatch each year drag up multiple wild on the rocks for a photo.  How many pics of 10 lb wilds do you need.  Wow I guess I have an issue.  I have to stay away from Lickman.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 11:53:08 PM »

Fighting a steelhead is no different from fighting a salmon.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 07:05:30 PM »

I really appreciate all of you who contributed to all the tips on fighting steel.  Side pressure, and turning the rod 90 degrees to get the fish to come back up river instead of chasing it.  Worked like a dream. 

Had my chance to use some of the skills shared with me and here was the result.

Cheers!  More to come!
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

sbc hris

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »

I just fish wayyy up the river so that most of the fish I hook have already been played a few times, and just come in like a wet sock :P

Kidding aside, very nice fish, congrats!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »

AWESOME!!!

Way to go Steal, kudos for taking advice to heart and having it pay off for you - that's wicked!!!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »

Sometimes you just lose some fish.  You'll go through waves where you'll lose 8 in a row.  Then another time you'll land 10 straight.  It's weird that way!

My only real tips besides what everyone already should know (keep tension on the line, don't horse them in, etc) is to try using side pressure more often.  Rather than "always keep the tip up" like we're taught, keep the rod bent but to the side - preferably opposite to the direction the fish is going.  This turns it's head and keeps the fish off-balance, tiring it out and disorienting it.  In addition, it keeps more line in the water with less potential for slack line in the air (more relevant to fly fishing as the line is thicker).

Side pressure is one of the best things I've learned in the past decade or so of fishing.

Good luck!

I know this is a bit if a dumb question...but what exactly do you mean by "...keep the rod bent but to the side - preferably opposite to the direction the fish is going." I can picture, say, fishing out the back of a boat and the fish takes a run to 9-o-clock, and putting side pressure at 3-o-clock. However, if I'm bank fishing, and the fish is racing downstream, am I not pulling the rod in the opposite direction by pulling upstream? In other words, how could you NOT have the rod bent to the opposite side the fish is going?

I must be missing something. I realize that, say, if I am fishing with upstream on my right, and the fish is racing downstream to my left, I have a choice to apply side pressure over the RIVER, or, I can flip the rod the other way and apply side pressure over the BANK.

I would really appreciate clairification. It seems like side pressure is a tactic that will help my landing %, I'm just not sure I understand it correctly.

Growing up I was always taught "keep your tip UP!!!" Is there any fishing situation on the river where tip up would have an advantage over side pressure??? Most guys I see with a fish on have their tips up and this is normally what I do when river fishing, lake fishing, fly fishing, etc.

If someone could explain the strategy when to use and not use side pressure I would be grateful.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:48:42 PM by Spawn Sack »