Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Fisih Farm Problem  (Read 22767 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Another Fisih Farm Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »

Thanks Chris for posting.....  too bad we have to put up with these disease cesspools. Thank goodness the sockeye smolts aren't migrating past those feedlots at this stage.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »

Brown noser one heard from....waiting for TB ;D ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »

Brown noser one heard from....waiting for TB ;D ;D

Well I'm hurt. I think I'll have a warm lavender scented bubble bath and a glass of pink zinfandel to sooth my bruised feelings. And tissues to wipe my eyes with. :'(
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »

Brown noser #2 here:

Not going to be the last we here of these dirty deeds done cheap. Gotta get them farmers rounded up and land penned.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »

http://www.timescolonist.com/health/Second+salmon+farm+quarantined+after+tests/7042005/story.html#ixzz22cg7Sdob

Another science experiment disaster waiting to happen. Let's just get the pens out of the water and do the testing where there is no risk to wild salmon.

Some people object to companies using animals to test their product.....   I object to salmon feedlots using our wild salmon to test the viability of their product.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:01 AM »

Another science experiment disaster waiting to happen. Let's just get the pens out of the water and do the testing where there is no risk to wild salmon.

Some people object to companies using animals to test their product.....   I object to salmon feedlots using our wild salmon to test the viability of their product.

But you and the rest are the first on the flow to slaughter wilds when they open right???...... ;D ;D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »

Thanks Chris for posting.....  too bad we have to put up with these disease cesspools. Thank goodness the sockeye smolts aren't migrating past those feedlots at this stage.

Geez what part of getting the virus from wilds dont you understand?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:52:18 AM by DragonSpeed »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »

http://www.thefishsite.com/fishnews/17876/bc-salmon-farms-provide-ihn-update

Maybe one of the pro-feedlot "experts" can explain this statement: "These farm sites are now isolated .........."

How do you "isolate" a feedlot pen that is made of netting and is sitting in the middle of an ocean??

Don't the ocean currents push and pull these ihn viruses through the netting, and as a consequence infect the surrounding ocean??

Do the feedlot employees and equipment get washed down and disinfected whenever they leave the feedlots??

How do they disinfect their own boats that are visiting these sites?

Or does "isolated" just mean that they put some signs up around the feedlots and start online petitions if someone drives their boat nearby?  ::)  ::)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »

Maybe one of the pro-feedlot "experts" can explain this statement: "These farm sites are now isolated .........."

How do you "isolate" a feedlot pen that is made of netting and is sitting in the middle of an ocean??

Don't the ocean currents push and pull these ihn viruses through the netting, and as a consequence infect the surrounding ocean??

Do the feedlot employees and equipment get washed down and disinfected whenever they leave the feedlots??

How do they disinfect their own boats that are visiting these sites?

Or does "isolated" just mean that they put some signs up around the feedlots and start online petitions if someone drives their boat nearby?  ::)  ::)

IHN is a natural virus of the Pacific Ocean, which can be carried regularly by wild salmon who have a natural resistance to it, studies show. They can carry the virus their whole lives without any negative impacts on their health. The health of Atlantic salmon, however, can be affected by IHN as they have not developed immunity to .

Geez you really are a Morton..... ;D ;D ;D

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »

At least you are aware of "WHERE" they come from.  ::) ::) ::)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »

Looks like the local Salmon are taking matters in their own fins and fighting back.

There's a movie in the making in this story. It's about greedy villains and even a grey haired damsel  ;D distressed about the fish farms ability to spread disease. Then the local fish come to their own rescue. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »

At least you are aware of "WHERE" they come from.  ::) ::) ::)

Thanks for noticing..... 

I know you are picking up this argument from the pro-feedlot boys.  Suggesting that because it's always been there in the wild fish and then implying it's the fault of the wild fish is just a ridiculous argument. If the feedlots weren't there we wouldn't even be talking about the problem.....   In the wild it's dealt with under the survival of the fittest law. Sick fish or dead fish quickly get eliminated by something higher in the food chain.

The problem with the feedlots is that they become a concentrated cesspool for the virus and just by the shear concentration have the potential of escalating the problem for the wild fish. I could care less if all of the Atlantics die from it, I care of the effect 100's of contaminated feedlots will have on the wild salmon. And then there is the risk of the virus mutating....  which is a problem that can't even be defined.