Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Fisih Farm Problem  (Read 22770 times)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Re: Another Fisih Farm Problem
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »

Can you explain cesspool and concentration with a constant ocean current happening, or do you still believe the hippy witch and her so called dead zones.. Like Ive said before probably more wilds killed a year by sporties than any fish farm.... :D :D :D
Take the T out of Morton.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »

Can you explain cesspool and concentration with a constant ocean current happening, or do you still believe the hippy witch and her so called dead zones.. Like Ive said before probably more wilds killed a year by sporties than any fish farm.... :D :D :D

Here's an analogy for you......   Imagine a ruptured oil tanker lying on the ocean floor spewing out barrels of oil day after day.....   I would call that a cesspool and the oil leaking out would be a concentration. As far as ocean currents go, the greater the currents the more dangerous the cesspool is.

That's the effect of a diseased feedlot. At least with the oil, it either sinks or it floats, not so with a virus.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »

Sort of a bizzare analogy when youre in favor of oil; tankers and pipelines along with you pal Steve....and what about the second part of my statement... oh no wait that one is true..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »

....and what about the second part of my statement... oh no wait that one is true..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

...and also irrelevant.  All it proves is that if the feedlots weren't there, sporties could kill more!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

AnnieP

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »

Geez what part of getting the virus from wilds dont you understand?

All of it apparently ::) ::) ::)

AnnieP

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »

AnnieP

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

Here's an analogy for you......   Imagine a ruptured oil tanker lying on the ocean floor spewing out barrels of oil day after day.....   I would call that a cesspool and the oil leaking out would be a concentration. As far as ocean currents go, the greater the currents the more dangerous the cesspool is.

That's the effect of a diseased feedlot. At least with the oil, it either sinks or it floats, not so with a virus.

Are you for real ? There will be NO salmon wild or farmed as the result of an oil spill. Do you have any idea how many Prince William Sound commercial fishermen were wiped out by Exxon Valdez or how many actually committed suicide over it ? Are you aware in spite of court ordered fines Exxon has never paid a dime. And they have NEVER paid a cent to compensate those fishermen. The sound is pretty dead these days. And let's not forget the captain of the Exxon Valdez was a known alcoholic. Pretty flip aren't you  ? Bet you'd be the first to cry in this forum if a spill wiped out your sports fishing though. We are not talking refined oil either we are talking bitamen for which there is no known cleanup method once it's in the ocean.
This isn't a subject for sarcasm.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »

NVM Annie you cant tell that Morton anything. He would rather risk our wilds to oil which we know will kill wilds be it in the ocean or our prestine head waters with a pipeline leak, I think Always is part of the problem.

AnnieP

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »

Maybe one of the pro-feedlot "experts" can explain this statement: "These farm sites are now isolated .........."

How do you "isolate" a feedlot pen that is made of netting and is sitting in the middle of an ocean??

Don't the ocean currents push and pull these ihn viruses through the netting, and as a consequence infect the surrounding ocean??

Do the feedlot employees and equipment get washed down and disinfected whenever they leave the feedlots??

How do they disinfect their own boats that are visiting these sites?

Or does "isolated" just mean that they put some signs up around the feedlots and start online petitions if someone drives their boat nearby?  ::)  ::)

AF The boat hulls are constantly disinfected and and the hatch and equipment is pressure washed with disinfectant every time fish are moved.The hulls and equipment are all disinfected everytime they go to a different site. It's called bio security. I know you think your clever but actually your demonstrating a total lack of knowledge about anything to do with aquaculture and fish farming. Maybe you should visit a farm and learn some facts before you make a fool of yourself making silly claims .

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »

AF The boat hulls are constantly disinfected and and the hatch and equipment is pressure washed with disinfectant every time fish are moved.

And this is how you would define "isolated"?

I would define what you described as a "cleanup" after the salmon have been moved out of the pens....

It's a lot like closing the barn door after all the chickens are out and running all over the yard....  I can't believe that you would be patting yourself on the back as if it was a job well done.   ???   ::)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 02:23:02 PM »

Are you for real ? There will be NO salmon wild or farmed as the result of an oil spill. Do you have any idea how many Prince William Sound commercial fishermen were wiped out by Exxon Valdez or how many actually committed suicide over it ? Are you aware in spite of court ordered fines Exxon has never paid a dime. And they have NEVER paid a cent to compensate those fishermen. The sound is pretty dead these days. And let's not forget the captain of the Exxon Valdez was a known alcoholic. Pretty flip aren't you  ? Bet you'd be the first to cry in this forum if a spill wiped out your sports fishing though. We are not talking refined oil either we are talking bitamen for which there is no known cleanup method once it's in the ocean.
This isn't a subject for sarcasm.

There may be hope for you Annie....   you do appreciate the seriousness of a feedlot pen spewing out the IHN virus...

AnnieP

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »

NVM Annie you cant tell that Morton anything. He would rather risk our wilds to oil which we know will kill wilds be it in the ocean or our prestine head waters with a pipeline leak, I think Always is part of the problem.

Definitely has some hypocritical ideas for sure. But hey the heroine's uncle is an oil venture capitalist. He'd be betraying the Broughton witch if he called down oil wouldn't he ??? ;)

AnnieP

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

There may be hope for you Annie....   you do appreciate the seriousness of a feedlot pen spewing out the IHN virus...

No use trying to telling a Morton convert anything factual. Whole hatcheries of fish in Alaska have been destroyed due to IHN outbreaks. Get it hatchery fish still in the hatchery ?? If the adults are diseased so are their eggs I expect and lets remember last years hatch can still be present in the river system depending on species and then there's trout etc in the river also harboring IHN naturally. This went unnoticed for years because there were no fish farms for scapegoats. Morton has vilified them now and people like you suck it up.

http://redoubtreporter.wordpress.com/2010/09/29/virus-strikes-salmon-fry-%E2%80%94-hatchery-loses-sockeye-stock-to-ihn/

Note the year of the report 2010..........Perhaps it should occur to you to question how many IHN infected fish Alaska did release from it's hatcheries to inter mingle with our wild stocks at sea ?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:55:25 PM by AnnieP »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »

The IHN virus has been discovered recently in farms on both the inside and the outside of the Island. It is obviously broadly distributed this year by an as of yet unidentified mechanism. Atlantic Salmon are the proverbial canaries in the coal mine for this disease though they do not distribute it because it's detection by specific and required farm disease monitoring always results in an immediate and complete cull of all stocks on the farm. The recent infections and consequent culls do, however, make it clear that the virus is present beyond normal prevalence this year and give some idea of the breadth and timing of the distribution mechanism.

Sockeye are known to be carriers of IHN and can be infected by it. When infected, they will shed viral particles along the routes they travel. BC Sockeye migrate on both the inside and outside of the Island to their home redds where they will spawn from their ocean residence period in North Pacific waters where Alaskan salmon also rear along with Japanese and Russian salmon. Herring are also susceptible to the virus and the disease it causes and can spread it.

The virus can be vertically transmitted to the next generation by infected breeding fish in both the hatchery or the wild.

Returns of Sockeye are so low this year that there is likely to be a complete closure to commercial fishing for them in the Fraser this year.

The recent discoveries may be an indication that we have a real problem and one that has absolutely nothing to do with farms.

AnnieP

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »

Well I'm hurt. I think I'll have a warm lavender scented bubble bath and a glass of pink zinfandel to sooth my bruised feelings. And tissues to wipe my eyes with. :'(

You forgot your fuzzy slippers