Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Fisih Farm Problem  (Read 22879 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Another Fisih Farm Problem
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »

Hmmmmm...I wonder how many cans of sockeye Ive eaten have been infected with IHN.. ??? ??? I love the way these twits are clutching at straws.. ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

AnnieP

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »

Hmmmmm...I wonder how many cans of sockeye Ive eaten have been infected with IHN.. ??? ??? I love the way these twits are clutching at straws.. ;D

They just don't get IHN exists in wild salmon and did  long before fish farms. Anyone who has  ever eaten salmon has undoubtedly eaten IHN.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »

Let em fight it , as long as its not on my dime.

AnnieP

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »

Thanks for noticing..... 

I know you are picking up this argument from the pro-feedlot boys.  Suggesting that because it's always been there in the wild fish and then implying it's the fault of the wild fish is just a ridiculous argument. If the feedlots weren't there we wouldn't even be talking about the problem.....   In the wild it's dealt with under the survival of the fittest law. Sick fish or dead fish quickly get eliminated by something higher in the food chain.

The problem with the feedlots is that they become a concentrated cesspool for the virus and just by the shear concentration have the potential of escalating the problem for the wild fish. I could care less if all of the Atlantics die from it, I care of the effect 100's of contaminated feedlots will have on the wild salmon. And then there is the risk of the virus mutating....  which is a problem that can't even be defined.
Once again, like the Omega-3 or PCB thing, you have no idea what you are talking about, AF.  What is “ridiculous” is that you are too busy speculating and not doing enough to educate yourself.  IHN has always been in the wild fish for crying out loud.  It has been here for centuries.  It was here long before fish farms.  It is present from Alaska right down the coast to California.  Yes, even Alaska has IHN.  It is found in fish farms where Atlantic Salmon are clearly the most vulnerable as well as in BC salmon hatcheries inland (even spawning channels).  Wild salmon spread IHN to Atlantic Salmon.  Research has shown that IHN is primarily a threat to alevins and fry in freshwater – adults are primarily immune to the virus and act as carriers of the virus.  When Sockeye enter the saltwater how large are they – roughly?  IHN is identified as a high risk virus; but that risk needs to be put into context first and pro fear mongers fail to do that.  Instead, of actually learning anything about the virus they seem to prefer to speculate and assume.  They did the same with Kudoa.  I have already posted this information and the references, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.  You don’t have to take my word for it….go ahead and research it yourself.

You then go off and speculate some more by saying that salmon farms become a concentrated cesspool for the virus and undoubtedly have the potential of spreading the IHN virus to wild salmon.  This is just another statement made out of ignorance with no factual basis whatsoever.  It is silly to even make that statement considering you have no idea what IHN is, its distribution or its pathology in the first place.  You don’t even know how farms manage these IHN outbreaks.  Instead of doing your usual speculating why do you try another new approach?  Try convincing me with some actual evidence that fish farms are breeding grounds for IHN as you think they are and that they are spreading it to the wild salmon.  If this “spreading” of IHN by farms is killing wild salmon – show me.  Try convincing me with some evidence that it hasn’t always been in wild fish and that they are not spreading IHN to Atlantic Salmon.  Start with some actual peer-reviewed studies.  Start using your new friend called “logic”.

AnnieP

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 02:53:35 AM »

Once again, like the Omega-3 or PCB thing, you have no idea what you are talking about, AF.  What is “ridiculous” is that you are too busy speculating and not doing enough to educate yourself.  IHN has always been in the wild fish for crying out loud.  It has been here for centuries.  It was here long before fish farms.  It is present from Alaska right down the coast to California.  Yes, even Alaska has IHN.  It is found in fish farms where Atlantic Salmon are clearly the most vulnerable as well as in BC salmon hatcheries inland (even spawning channels).  Wild salmon spread IHN to Atlantic Salmon.  Research has shown that IHN is primarily a threat to alevins and fry in freshwater – adults are primarily immune to the virus and act as carriers of the virus.  When Sockeye enter the saltwater how large are they – roughly?  IHN is identified as a high risk virus; but that risk needs to be put into context first and pro fear mongers fail to do that.  Instead, of actually learning anything about the virus they seem to prefer to speculate and assume.  They did the same with Kudoa.  I have already posted this information and the references, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.  You don’t have to take my word for it….go ahead and research it yourself.

You then go off and speculate some more by saying that salmon farms become a concentrated cesspool for the virus and undoubtedly have the potential of spreading the IHN virus to wild salmon.  This is just another statement made out of ignorance with no factual basis whatsoever.  It is silly to even make that statement considering you have no idea what IHN is, its distribution or its pathology in the first place.  You don’t even know how farms manage these IHN outbreaks.  Instead of doing your usual speculating why do you try another new approach?  Try convincing me with some actual evidence that fish farms are breeding grounds for IHN as you think they are and that they are spreading it to the wild salmon.  If this “spreading” of IHN by farms is killing wild salmon – show me.  Try convincing me with some evidence that it hasn’t always been in wild fish and that they are not spreading IHN to Atlantic Salmon.  Start with some actual peer-reviewed studies.  Start using your new friend called “logic”.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Climate+change+threatens+alter+marine+ecosystem/7050645/story.html   :(  Af can refer to this as a "conspiracy theory" since it actually makes a little sense unlike some of his offerings ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Burbot

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 06:47:59 AM »

Already thrown out once and will be again no doubt.

Don't count on it as the Supreme Court of Canada over rules more cases from BC than any other jurisdiction.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 09:20:30 AM »

Once again, like the Omega-3 or PCB thing, you have no idea what you are talking about, AF. 

Take some time to reread what I posted. The fact is I am quoting "non-feedlot" experts. Perhaps the problem you have with what I posted is that it has not been filtered through the pro-feedlot media experts.

IHN has always been in the wild fish for crying out loud. 

There you go again with the "it's the fault of the wild fish" argument. At the risk of repeating myself: Suggesting that because it's always been there in the wild fish and then implying it's the fault of the wild fish is just a ridiculous argument. If the feedlots weren't there we wouldn't even be talking about the problem.....   In the wild it's dealt with under the survival of the fittest law. Sick fish or dead fish quickly get eliminated by something higher in the food chain.

The problem with the feedlots is that they become a concentrated cesspool for the virus and just by the shear concentration have the potential of escalating the problem for the wild fish. I could care less if all of the Atlantics die from it, I care of the effect 100's of contaminated feedlots will have on the wild salmon. And then there is the risk of the virus mutating....  which is a problem that can't even be defined.

You then go off and speculate some more by saying that salmon farms become a concentrated cesspool for the virus and undoubtedly have the potential of spreading the IHN virus to wild salmon. 

Insert your own adjectives here instead of "cesspool". The fact is you have 1000's of Atlantics milling around in a limited space spewing out this virus and whatever else, which is infecting potentially every living creature swimming by. This is just another consequence of "farming" in an ocean environment. There is no separation from the surrounding environment and no containment of the cesspool.

You are starting to sound like Annie and Absolon. When you don't have an answer, you try to discredit the poster. While it may make you feel good about your own position, it adds no information to the topic.

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »

http://www.mainstreamcanada.com/virus-confirmed-company-begins-empty-site

"All fish will be removed from the farm and sent to a rendering facility. Strict biosecurity measures will be followed at all stages of depopulation, transportation, offloading, and rendering."

How strict can "biosecurity" measures be when the holes in the pens are big enough for millions of the viruses to get pushed out by the flowing ocean currents.

Another case of Mainstream media spin on the statement, "Look how carefully we closed the barn door after all the chickens already got out"  ;D  ;D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »

AF are you a biologist or in anyway have any experience with biology or how that science works???

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »

AF are you a biologist or in anyway have any experience with biology or how that science works???

Are you??