Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shaw vs telus  (Read 17538 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: shaw vs telus
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »

I've been a TELUS bundle customer for many years now and I am more than happy with what I got.

I am paying about a 100 bucks a month for my landline, high speed internet and Optik TV with basic HD channels.
Hard to beat that.

My internet is very stable and does what I need. There's the occasional hiccup with the Wi-fi, but they never last very long.

And if you ever need customer service from Telus, call their customer service number and as soon as you hear the automated voice, say: "agent", and you will be promptly connected to a real flesh and blood customer service rep. No need to go through the endless menus.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »

Have to agree with Milo Telus has been awesome for me, customer service rocks, my Mom switched to Telus from shaw and loves it.
Take the T out of Morton.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 12:50:32 PM »

I used to be with Telus until an internet connection problem revealed their absolutely horrible customer service.
Then net was that they promised to provide new equipment but never did. They never did fix the performance issue.
I have been with Shaw for several years for internet, tv, and phone and am perfectly happy. Any issues have been resolved by a human quickly.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »

i switched from shaw tv to telus about 1 yr ago and have no problems. remote stopped working and they sent a new one quickly.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »

100 is 149/ month and 250 is 249/ month price dropped a bit

Not sure where you see those prices? I see Broadband 250 at $110/month right at THIS site.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »

Not sure where you see those prices? I see Broadband 250 at $110/month right at THIS site.

sorry,you correct Dion. i should have been more specific that i was quoting business int prices. Not residential. With shaw often the prices advertised on there web is promotional pricing for 6 month or a year. then it goes up to regular pricing. this is something to be sure you confirm. also int 250 i not available everywhere yet. Richmond, west van,north van,chilliwack area and squamish are ready. Vancouver and Burnaby areas are a couple months away. Int 100 is available everywhere.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »

I'm interested to hear when Gigabit connections are coming. They have it listed on their website, but no pricing or specific locations it is available. I really wish the upload speed was more inline with their download speeds. 5 Mbps up on a connection that gets 100 Mbps down is ludicrous.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »

I'm interested to hear when Gigabit connections are coming. They have it listed on their website, but no pricing or specific locations it is available. I really wish the upload speed was more inline with their download speeds. 5 Mbps up on a connection that gets 100 Mbps down is ludicrous.
If it is important to a customer and they need that kind of service, Shaw can provide services that guarantee the up and down speed, 10 up/down,15 up/down and so on...obviously it is very expensive and it is also a contracted service. If this is something you need/want more info on feel free to contact me. I work with Shaw business services.

biteme

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »

Make sure to ask about "streaming" I hooked up to TELUS a week ago and I could only PVR 1 HD channel at a time if I tried to watch another HD channel I couldn’t. Apparently I only had one streaming capability to my place. I could either watch 1 HD channel and PVR 2 SD channels or I could PVR 1 HD channel and I had to watch a SD channel. As far as the internet it was great reasonably fast no problems just something to think about needless to say I got out of that contract immediately

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »

If it is important to a customer and they need that kind of service, Shaw can provide services that guarantee the up and down speed, 10 up/down,15 up/down and so on...obviously it is very expensive and it is also a contracted service. If this is something you need/want more info on feel free to contact me. I work with Shaw business services.
I torrent, and keeping a good ratio is important. To do that you need to be connectable and have a good upload speed. Unfortunately I don't think that would be the use Shaw would want to cater too. Additionally, my guess is a seedbox would be more affordable than getting 15Mbps upload.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »

I jailbroke my AppleTV, no need to torrent anymore.....the only thing I use torrent sites for now is apps.
Take the T out of Morton.

clujalolo

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »

I work for Telus, i install their services and repair them.

I have seen shaw Tv and internet, compared to Telus, personally i like telus better. But it also depends on the area you live in also.  telus offers 3 different profiles depending how far you are from the internet ports.
1. 3 HD 1SD / 15mb - 4tvs running all on the same time, that includes a show being recorded.
2. 2HD 1 SD/ 15mb - 3 TVS running, that also includes a show being recorded
3. 1 HD 2SD/ 15b - 3 TVS running, that also includes a show being recorded.

Telus' 15mb that comes with Telus Tv is way faster than shaw's 20mb. Now shaw does offer much faster, but if your using internet for just emails and basic stuff, 15mb is more than enough.   

I personally have telus but thats because i have fiber obtics right into my suite ;).

Telus is much cheaper if you bundle everything. If you need help with anything just shoot me an email, and i get you some help and make it as painless as possible.

clujalolo@hotmail.com

island boy

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »

thanks for all the feed back. this just confused the hell out of me now. clujalolo i'll keep you in mind, thanks.
you kill it, you clean it.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 09:40:54 PM »

I just have to say that Telus has the most horrible technical service ever, I wasted many hours of my life and a large mobile phone bill trying to move our service over when we moved house a couple of years ago. Shaws internet doesn't seem to be as quick as they state but I would rather speak to a real person than an overseas call centre on a horrible line that usually rings for 40 minutes before you get through.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »

It appears that both Telus and Shaw suck, and who you prefer really depends on who gave you your last bad experience.
I think the right answer is try them both, changing every 6-12 months to get the best deal.