Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big water trolling gear/info  (Read 1239 times)

mzmann

Big water trolling gear/info
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:43:51 AM »

Hi all,

Just looking for information as to decent and cost effective suggestions for rods/reels to gear up the boat with for trolling w/downriggers on Okanagan, shuswap, and Kal lakes?

Bought an older 24 fibreform cabin cruiser type last spring for fishing, camping and such and am now finally just getting it outfitted for proper fishing as well but really have no real idea as to what to get for rods/reels to use with my downriggers.

I am just going to grab a couple used electric scotty's or cannon's from craiglist or similar and was hoping that some of you could help point me in the right direction for decent cost effective rod/reel choices as well......or even if any of you are from the okanagan area and are looking at selling some of your big water trolling gear then I would most likely be interested as well. (however I am not back from work until the end of May but would like to have or arrange to get as much of this stuff before hand so that I can get at er as soon as possible once I return without spending a fortune!!....as I know I could easily just walk into most tackle stores and ask them for everything I will need but would also walk out spending WAY too much more than likely!, lol)

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:08:29 AM by mzmann »
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Big water trolling gear/info
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »

--good and bad news.... due to the variety of fish in these lakes... you need everything... from fly's to large plugs.
--generally I fish for kokanee and rainbows but Kal lk has a healthy population of lake trout.
--It may be worth it to get at least a 1/2 day fishing with a local guide.

--Still cool enough weather now and early may for near surface fishing with bucktails, spoons and plugs. For sure with downrigger you need quality depth finder if you want to save your gear.  If you don't have an electronic chart these large lakes all have good paper navigation charts available which will give you a good start finding areas to fish.

--Fishing Okanagan it's a no brainer to use Lyman lures (wooden plugs) made in kelowna... larger plugs imitate kokanee for the rainbows... you can get them rigged with single hook and now reg on okanagan has changed to allow barbless treble.

--Basic gear I use light salmon rods and reels.. Amundson has inexpensive mooching and trolling rods. Kencraft in Vernon and Troutwaters in kelowna both have good selections of rods,reels and gear for larger lakes. Assuming you're intending to target the larger fish so don't scrimp on a cheap reel or line.

--Of course you can get a whole different set of gear for kokanee.. try Kent Cannons book  Kokanee obsession
--Big bonus fishing these lakes from a larger boat as some of the best days fishing are October to May and in many areas you will get to know the few brave souls that fish and catch fish when others are on shore. For the quality of the fishery there are surprisingly few people on the water seriously fishing.

mzmann

Re: Big water trolling gear/info
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »

Cheers for the above and the email Skaha, much appreciated.

Any and other other info/opinions are welcome still as well.....as well if anyone in Okanagan area is looking to unload some big water gear whether it be rods/reels/lures/downrigger balls/flashers, etc,, etc then just let me know and I may possibly be interested and could arrange a meet once I am back on that side of the world in late May....too effin long to go without fishin!! lol
Wishin I was fishin!! :)