Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shaw vs telus  (Read 17540 times)

island boy

shaw vs telus
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »

what do you guys think? shaw is upping my bill again on april 1st and i've about had it. thinking about the switch and would like some feed back. i've only got 1 HD tv and the interweb(plus 2 older tvs). the telus bundle i was looking at would be $40 cheaper on the bills. also telus has the free laptop or tablet. what are your thoughts on those two? i'm not that much up on all the tech stuff so some help on this would be nice.  thanks
you kill it, you clean it.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: shaw vs telus
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »

Sign a contract with Telus? NO THANKS! Better internet options from Shaw which is more important to me than TV.

gilbey

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »

Here in the interior there is no compition Telus is the only way to go... I tried them both and Telus is way faster for internet speed,,,

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »

I just bought a new house and decided to see what our options where between the 2 and was surprised by how much cheaper it is to go with Telus. The first thing you need to see is if you place has the option of going with optik TV as not all areas have it. Now if they say yes then ask how many TV's can handle HD at the same time because if the signal is weak then you can only watch 1 TV in HD which in your case you only have one TV that is capable of HD so you would be ok. I also find that Telus' internet to be way faster then shaw. I also know of alot of people that went with shaw and everytime they lose their TV they also lose their phone and internet. Sometimes it comes back with in an hour but other times it had lasted for a couple of days. So now if you hurry Telus has a deal that if you switch from Shaw then your first year will be super cheap. I was able to get then down to $35 a month for the first year, that is TV, phone and internet, then after the first year I pay only $110 for everything. I also got the tablet, 1 HD pvr + 2 more HD boxes for no extra charge.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »

I got telus too, cant complain. I got a nice free tablet. Only drawback is they offer you some free trial channel packs, but after they expire you gotta pay for them  :D funny how that works!

Casey Martin

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »

im with shaw and then went to telus and their internet is terrible so i went back to shaw

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:48:32 PM »

Sign a contract with Telus? NO THANKS! Better internet options from Shaw which is more important to me than TV.
[/quote

X2on the contract and quality Internet. Telus streams tv an if you use tv and net at same time you experience lags on both.
Shaw splits the coaxial cable into 3 platforms so if one is down the others will still work
They also always work on upgrading the fiber network and instal boosters in high density areas to increase bandwidth
HD programing with shaw packages tend to have more channels
They are also working with the city to place wireless hubs everywhere. This means soon everywhere will be wifi. Even when you are driving. If you are a shaw customer it is a free service. Your cell data plan will no longer be required which can save you cash. Should be complete in 12to 18 months
Lastly shaw is a local employer and dont really do big Corp sponsorships. All donations and community work done locally for food banks and community sports and other  programs.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »

Telus has been awesome for us.  I think a lot of it depends on the wiring infrastructure of your place.  We are in a brand new condo with new wiring.  No Problems when downloading multiple torrents, watching TV, recording TV, etc...  Super fast and always fast.

OTH I have seen 100's of bad reviews re: telus so clearly YMMV

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »

Internet isn't just internet, and Cable isn't just Cable. You should specify whether you are interested in High Bandwidth High speed internet or if 5Mbps download is enough for you. I'm not one to watch cable very often other than to watch hockey games, and Shaw includes all the channels that play the Canucks games in their base package. With Telus you have to pay for an add-on. I don't have a home phone, but my cell phone carrier is Telus, and I can't say I'm impressed with them there.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »

what do you guys think? shaw is upping my bill again on april 1st and i've about had it. thinking about the switch and would like some feed back. i've only got 1 HD tv and the interweb(plus 2 older tvs). the telus bundle i was looking at would be $40 cheaper on the bills. also telus has the free laptop or tablet. what are your thoughts on those two? i'm not that much up on all the tech stuff so some help on this would be nice.  thanks

Also not sure if you have tried Shaw's customer retention department but if you want to stick with them they might drop your new bill to a lower price.

Tell them what you will be saving by going to telus
$40*12months = $480
+ a free tablet/laptop
= around  $1000 bucks for the year.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »

So just looked into internet from Telus:

Optik High Speed Turbo is 25Mbps download speed, no listed upload speed, 500GB/month data.  $44/month (This is Telus's best internet option available)

Shaw High Speed 20 is 20Mbps download, 0.5 Mbps upload, 200GB/month data. $55/month (This is Shaw's second lowest internet option available)

So if you are a low-end internet user Telus may be right for you. However for those that plan on streaming HD through Netflix, download/upload torrents, and are generally heavy internet users you have no other option than to go with Shaw.

Shaw offers 50Mbps, 100Mbps, and 250Mbps connection with up to 15Mbps upload, and unlimited data. Telus can't compare.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »

Our Telus bill indicates $20 even for Optik High Speed Turbo  ;)

Need to bargain with them.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »

I thought 250 was business net Dion? Did they change it recently? I remember when they wanted 3-400 odd dollars a month for it.

And as this thread pretty much says

If you dont know what a megabit is, then Telus will probably be fine for you. If you want/need/use stable, fast internet, then Shaw is the way to go.

Personally, I wouldnt touch Telus with a 10 foot pole. Contract, crappy service, crappy support. No thank you!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »

I thought 250 was business net Dion? Did they change it recently? I remember when they wanted 3-400 odd dollars a month for it.

And as this thread pretty much says

If you dont know what a megabit is, then Telus will probably be fine for you. If you want/need/use stable, fast internet, then Shaw is the way to go.

Personally, I wouldnt touch Telus with a 10 foot pole. Contract, crappy service, crappy support. No thank you!

100 is 149/ month and 250 is 249/ month price dropped a bit

100 is 149 per month and 250 is 249 includes 2 phone lines that are non featured. Price droped a bit
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:45:34 PM by rhino »

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »

Sorry not sure why double posted