Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Intruder Flies  (Read 20536 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Intruder Flies
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »

Interesting point of thought, red is the first colour scattered and absorbed by the suspended particles in the dirty water (due to the longer wavelength), so your red fly likely appears grey to the fish and would not be that visible in the dirty water.  A good rule of thumb is to use colours in the blue wavelengths (blue and violet) in coloured water, as they are the last to be absorbed (similar principle as to why the distant mountains appear blue through what da Vinci termed the atmospheric effect).   Of course colour is probably not as important as the profile and the movement it makes, and black probably provides the best silhouette in dirty conditions.

If you are interested in a good read of fly colour, check this out:

http://midcurrent.com/science/fish-eyesight-does-color-matter/

Thanks for the info man, I am just reading the whole article; sounds pretty interesting. Matt Thats a nice one I like the olive colours.

Stickleback

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »

Here is one I tied with rubber legs the other day.  I have clear water in mind for this one.  Rigged it the original Ed Ward/Jerry French style.  The hook hanging from the loop is only temporary.

Stickleback

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »

Here is one I tied with rubber legs the other day.  I have clear water in mind for this one.  Rigged it the original Ed Ward/Jerry French style.  The hook hanging from the loop is only temporary.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:21:07 AM by Stickleback »

Stickleback

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »

sorry, new to the forum.  Cant seem to get the photo to show up.  FLYBC is soo much easier!!!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »

upload them to photobucket then just copy/paste the IMG code into your post and it the pic will appear
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Stickleback

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »

Here is one I tied with rubber legs the other day.  I have clear water in mind for this one.  Rigged it the original Ed Ward/Jerry French style.  The hook hanging from the loop is only temporary. [/img]

Stickleback

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »

Thank you for the help.  I was using flickr and pasting the URL ??? :D

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 08:26:45 AM »

Thats a nice looking fly, I silly legs work good and so does those buggy ones with the curves in them. I have been tying a smaller intruder lately I will have to post a couple picks. I am finding that since I went down in size a little bit its so much easier to pull it up and out of the water after the hang and it casts like theres almost nothing there. I guess I just had to use a smaller led eye and tie a bit more sparse

Stickleback

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »

I fish unweighted intruders if can get away with it!!  Much more enjoyable to fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »

you ever have problems with your unweighted ones not riding properly though ?

there is a reason why there is even a little weight tied to the underside of the shank so it forces the fly to always ride the way you want it to. I have tried unweighted ones but they sure do like to turn on their sides  >:(

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Stickleback

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:18 AM »

I combat this by NOT tying unweighted flies on with a loop knot.  This only works with turned up eye shanks.  What I do, and was taught this by a friend, is to double over the tippet about three inches depending on the size of the fly.  Run the loop over and under the fly so that the leader goes straight through the eye, under the head of the fly, back up over the head and straight out the front of the eye.  Then tie a uni knot, as in double over the tag and then four times around itself.  When the knot tightens, the knot should be resting between the head and the eye of the shank. If that makes sense to you.  This allows the leader to run straight out the front which helps to keep it oriented in the water. Of course this is not 100% way to keep your flies from flipping and flopping.  All of my unweighted flies are tied in the round, so there is no top and bottom ex.  marabou tubes, intruders etc.