Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Go to Fly for Steelies?  (Read 3320 times)

qescott

Go to Fly for Steelies?
« on: December 05, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

This is going to be my first steelhead season, and I'm gunna try flying it. Would anyone like to share their go to for winter steel? I understand it's not as much about flies as it is finding fish but a nice fly I can rely on from a seasoned angler would be a nice addition to my box. Thanks in advance guys,
Quinn
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:43:08 PM by qescott »

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Go to Fly for Steelies?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »

Yes, getting the fly to the fish is more important than the pattern.  Steelhead are trout and are aggressive biters.  That said, my favorites are small single egg patterns in clear water, and larger flies with a bit of action in more coloured water (egg sucking leech, intruders, etc)
Not all those who wander are lost

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:25:59 PM »

darker coloured patterns, gp, intruders and smaller orange gp. For higher water I will try prom dress, or bright intruder, or dark intruders with colour contrast

adecadelost

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:18:15 AM »

This was part of a great post from another forum about swinging for steelhead that I thought I'd share.
I think its great info for anyone starting out for steel, and great for those of us who have been swinging so long we've forgotten a few of the basic ideas.

"#6 - Narrow the focus, part 5. Three flies. One orange, one black, one purple, 1 1/2" to 2" long, tied either wound marabou collar style or in the egg sucking leech style. If in ESL, use a red egg "head" on the black and a chartreuse head on the purple. These three colors in the size described have caught steelhead under all water viz conditions and on, I'd be willing to wager, every river on the west coast that has been angled much for winter steelhead. The simplicity of fly selection is once again, a focus tactic to keep the angler locked onto the learning and away from being sidetracked by all the frilly little accoutrements that often accompany fly fishing... there will be lots of opportunity for that later."

Thanks to Ed for passing down great knowledge.

River Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »

Well posted, Adecadelost. I would fully agree. You can play around a bit with the colors, though. The key is to be in the "range" in order to catch them.

Stickleback

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »

Better to match size and colour to the fishing conditions rather than a specific pattern.  This is a great video by denekioutdoors featuring Tom Larimer, regarding steelhead fly selection.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8p6V9EN1jo

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »

Golden Stone great on the Cowichan !!!!!