Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Sharkfin Soup  (Read 72964 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Re: Sharkfin Soup
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 05:58:45 AM »

Wasnt binding womens feet part of your culture too...but that has stopped...why??

Actually the binding of feet is not part of the "han" culture. It was implimented by the manchu when they ruled during the Qing Dynasty. So if you were born after around 1912 you were safe of this practice.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:29 PM »

I've heard that bears, both black and grizzly, have also killed and eaten humans.  And I'm sure it wasn't done in a merciful fashion.  Using that 3rd world way of thinking, we should be killing the bears and cutting off the paws and taking the gall bladder and selling it to China.  We can just discard the rest of the bear in the bush because it will decompose and add nutrients to the soil as well as feed a plethora of scavengers.

Also, not condoning the tuna fishery or whaling, but I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of the kill is eaten.  Afterall, it is the meat that is eaten.  In the case of tuna, even the head is consumed on occasion (Google "kabutoyaki").  Pretty much the exact opposite of the Shark Fin industry.

Shane

Doesn't matter how many % is eaten, Dolphins/whales should not be slaughtered period. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but i'd rather swim with a dolphin than with a shark. People in Japan and Denmark should be ashamed that they even developed such characteristics in their culture. In China, people developed the habit of eating dogs because food was scarce back in the days and you could only get limited access to meat. A lot of people are actually against eating dogs now since livelihood in China has improved in the last 20 years and people now have the luxury of having pets. What is Japan and Denmark's excuse? I'm pretty sure Japan has been doing pretty well before they got nuked and soon after, so what is their excuse? Speaking of Karma, i'm sure the whales/dolphins weren't too upset about the Earthquake in Japan.

China has many flaws, and one of them is consuming exotic goods but it's only a small percentage being able to consume these because last time I checked most people can't afford these goods. Either way we need to find these people and punish them appropriately  (death sentence sounds good to me).

SAVE THE DOLPHINS!!!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »

No I don't use herbal medicine much. I am not some one closed minded. Perhaps you are. I am open to reasons. There are lots more sharks than rhino. Most Chinese I know don't use rhino for medicine, or eat bear/tiger gall or use bear palm,worms, or monkey brains. Perhaps they are used by an extremely small sample of the cuture. These stuffs are invented by Chinese haters or anti-Chinese media, an overblown propaganda against our culture. If you think any westerners will eat the stuffs you see in 'Fear Factor', go give you silly head a shake.

Sharks are now endangering sea otters (and probably lots more other sea life not reported).  Read this:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1461989705001/sharks-killing-sea-otters-in-larger-numbers/?playlist_id=87937&intcmp=obinsite

Yes, the attacks on humans have also doubled: (didn't they say sharks are getting more endangered? Less sharks but more attacks on humans - some good science model)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/08/global-shark-attacks-up-in-2011-none-were-in-us/

If they think sea otters are in trouble with too many sharks eating them now, wait till sharks are enjoying a 'no touch' status by silly humans. What happen if every year the hundred of millions of sharks are spared by the 'silly philosophy' of some extremists and free to roam to devour everything on their path? Think about this if you have some conscience, or compassion for other species sharks eat, including us humans, yes, some of your fellow humans (if they mean anything to you).

One of the biggest reason I oppose this anti-soup movement is because it is engineered by animal rights groups, PETA etc. Of course with their manipulated images of cruelty shots and warning of species survival, many join in with them, just like the seal movement. But their appraoch and their thinking can be scary. They will be in your face too if public sentiment shift to banning fishing, as fishers are considered cruel to animals. Some even think if you harm animals, you don't deserve to live. Imagine a world dominated by these people in government. Everybody will be a vegetarian without choice. That they can 'hate' other humans who are just harvesting from the ocean for foods, that they should deserve to die in the tsunami in Japan, all 20,000+ of treasured human lives, it totally beats me. If you want to join them in their crusade against our cultural dish, be it.  Not me. I am for regulating the shark industry, not totally banning it. Sharks can do untold damage to other species too if allowed to roam the oceans without predators. It is not as simple as admiring a magnificient animal in nature. All life forms are connected by some ways by mutual predation. None should be exempted totally. Who predates us humans now? Wars, diseases (seen like we have so many), murders, accidents, and yes, large man eating animals if you happen to be in their path defenseless.

Compared to these 'unhuman' beings in these hate groups, I rather want to belong to those people who are compassionate to their fellow suffering humans, as seen here in this video
 THANK YOU FROM JAPAN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=SS-sWdAQsYg&vq=medium

Let's applaud these noble selfless heroes and heroines, coming to the rescue of Japan. It is heart-warming to watch the video as compared to those by the animals group. It gives us faith in our human race.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:48:44 PM by liketofish »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:50 PM »

NOT TRYING TO STIR THE SOUP POT  :)

Anti-shark fin soup campaigner up for award
 Claudia Li, who founded Shark Truth, is nominated in GLOBE Foundation's Next Gen category
 By Tracy Sherlock, Vancouver SunFebruary 29, 2012

Claudia Li, the founder of Shark Truth, is campaigning against shark fin soup, and wants to promote a safe and healthy planet.
Photograph by: Gerry Kahrmann, PNG Files, Vancouver SunA first generation Chinese-Canadian woman who campaigns against shark fin soup is nominated for a 2012 GLOBE Foundation award.

Claudia Li, 25, grew up in a traditional family that ate shark fin soup on many special occasions, as it was seen as both a status symbol and a show of generosity. In 2009, Li founded the Vancouver non-profit organization Shark Truth to stop the hunting of sharks for shark fin soup, and because she wanted to keep the legacy of her heritage alive, she said.

"Because our parents were immigrants, we saw how hard they worked for us," Li said. "Now that we're adults we have the responsibility to carry on that legacy for our children, so that they have a safe and healthy planet to live on."

Li said she encourages people to make a donation to a non-profit or environ-mental organization as a better way to show their generosity. Li is nominated for the Next Gen Entrepreneur Award, one of seven 2012 GLOBE Foundation awards for Canadian companies that have merged their daily business practices with environmental stewardship.

"I'm very honoured to be nominated for the GLOBE award because it show-cases the diversity of leadership. I am a young, Chinese female, and you don't see that very often in this type of work," Li said. Other notable Vancouver nominees include the University of British Columbia's Centre for Interactive Research on Sustainability and their Bioenergy Research and Demonstration Project, the City of Vancouver and London Drugs. For a full list of nominees in all categories visit www.the globeawards.ca/finalists. The awards will be presented March 16 at the closing luncheon for GLOBE 2012, the international conference and trade fair on the business of the environment being held in Vancouver March 14 to 16. For ticket information visit tickets. theglobeawards.ca.

tsherlock@vancouversun.com Blog: vancouversun.com/yourmoney For a full list of nominees go to vancouversun.com/business

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »

No I don't use herbal medicine much. I am not some one closed minded. Perhaps you are. I am open to reasons. There are lots more sharks than rhino. Most Chinese I know don't use rhino for medicine, or eat bear/tiger gall or use bear palm,worms, or monkey brains. Perhaps they are used by an extremely small sample of the cuture. These stuffs are invented by Chinese haters or anti-Chinese media, an overblown propaganda against our culture. If you think any westerners will eat the stuffs you see in 'Fear Factor', go give you silly head a shake.

Sharks are now endangering sea otters (and probably lots more other sea life not reported).  Read this:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1461989705001/sharks-killing-sea-otters-in-larger-numbers/?playlist_id=87937&intcmp=obinsite

Yes, the attacks on humans have also doubled: (didn't they say sharks are getting more endangered? Less sharks but more attacks on humans - some good science model)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/08/global-shark-attacks-up-in-2011-none-were-in-us/

If they think sea otters are in trouble with too many sharks eating them now, wait till sharks are enjoying a 'no touch' status by silly humans. What happen if every year the hundred of millions of sharks are spared by the 'silly philosophy' of some extremists and free to roam to devour everything on their path? Think about this if you have some conscience, or compassion for other species sharks eat, including us humans, yes, some of your fellow humans (if they mean anything to you).

One of the biggest reason I oppose this anti-soup movement is because it is engineered by animal rights groups, PETA etc. Of course with their manipulated images of cruelty shots and warning of species survival, many join in with them, just like the seal movement. But their appraoch and their thinking can be scary. They will be in your face too if public sentiment shift to banning fishing, as fishers are considered cruel to animals. Some even think if you harm animals, you don't deserve to live. Imagine a world dominated by these people in government. Everybody will be a vegetarian without choice. That they can 'hate' other humans who are just harvesting from the ocean for foods, that they should deserve to die in the tsunami in Japan, all 20,000+ of treasured human lives, it totally beats me. If you want to join them in their crusade against our cultural dish, be it.  Not me. I am for regulating the shark industry, not totally banning it. Sharks can do untold damage to other species too if allowed to roam the oceans without predators. It is not as simple as admiring a magnificient animal in nature. All life forms are connected by some ways by mutual predation. None should be exempted totally. Who predates us humans now? Wars, diseases (seen like we have so many), murders, accidents, and yes, large man eating animals if you happen to be in their path defenseless.

Compared to these 'unhuman' beings in these hate groups, I rather want to belong to those people who are compassionate to their fellow suffering humans, as seen here in this video
 THANK YOU FROM JAPAN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=SS-sWdAQsYg&vq=medium

Let's applaud these noble selfless heroes and heroines, coming to the rescue of Japan. It is heart-warming to watch the video as compared to those by the animals group. It gives us faith in our human race.

Id like some of what youre smokin..... ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2012, 06:00:59 PM »

My parents said that sharkfin soup will cure my asthma... but the disease has gotten worse!
If I were to have sharkfin soup, I would use dogfish.
Someone was here

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 12:53:39 AM »

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2012, 09:45:27 PM »

http://www.globaltvbc.com/nanaimo+latest+bc+municipality+to+ban+shark+fin/6442697303/story.html

Vancouver Richmond next. ; :D

Like you, wish it was open penned farmed salmon that were on the poop list  ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Blue_Fox

• Eat, Run, Fish, Sleep.
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »

Shark fin soup served in North American Chinese restaurants, including in the Lower Mainland is really blah!  Most of the Chinese restaurants use imitation shark fins. Even the real shark fin soup served in restaurants don't really give me much interest! Almost all of these restaurants have a thick soup base with tiny amount of short strands of shark fin and they charge customers high prices for it.  

I had shark fin soup in China only once at one of the very top seafood restaurants. Surprisingly, it was the best tasting soup I've ever had in my life. The soup itself had hundreds of long strands of shark fin from a very large shark. The soup was thick, only because it was filled with massive amounts of strands of fins like noodles. It was like a noodle soup, but the noodles were all shark fins. It was the most memorable food dish I've had in my life.  

Sharkfin soup is a cultural dish for centuries and it shouldn't really be banned. Back in the past, those who caught sharks used of whole thing, and they just happened to use the fins as food.

It's only just recently that sharks have been harvested wastefully by fisherman worldwide. Majority of sharks caught for shark fins have levels of mercury content therefore no one wants to buy shark meat.

If people want change, educate and target the fisherman and the government of the nations of the fishermen, not the consumers of shark fins.

There are far more serious issues such as bluefin tuna which is critically endangered, yet the Harper government and Japanese goverment and European countries such as France, Italy and Spain chose not to ban bluefin tuna fishing at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). The Harper government cares more about the employment of East Coast Canadian commercial fishermen more than anything else.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:17:06 PM by Blue_Fox »

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »

wait till sharks are enjoying a 'no touch' status by silly humans. What happen if every year the hundred of millions of sharks are spared by the 'silly philosophy' of some extremists and free to

Pretty sure whales fish dolphins and sharks have co-existed for millenia... they hunt to live. Theyre not deranged killing machines  ::)
A rig out of water catches no fish.

StillAqua

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »

I had shark fin soup in China only once at one of the very top seafood restaurants. Surprisingly, it was the best tasting soup I've ever had in my life. The soup itself had hundreds of long strands of shark fin from a very large shark. The soup was thick, only because it was filled with massive amounts of strands of fins like noodles. It was like a noodle soup, but the noodles were all shark fins. It was the most memorable food dish I've had in my life.

I find it hard to believe that that's the most delicious dish you've ever had in your life...shark's fin has no flavour...it's just protein collagen fibers in chicken soup....try their chicken noodle soup next time.

Sharkfin soup is a cultural dish for centuries and it shouldn't really be banned.
Head hunting, slavery, rhino horns, female circumcision, duelling, shark finning........just another "cultural tradition" that no longer has a place in modern society.

If people want change, educate and target the fisherman and the government of the nations of the fishermen, not the consumers of shark fins.
It's all of the above....but the consumer is still king.

There are far more serious issues such as bluefin tuna which is critically endangered, yet the Harper government and Japanese goverment and European countries such as France, Italy and Spain chose not to ban bluefin tuna fishing at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). The Harper government cares more about the employment of East Coast Canadian commercial fishermen more than anything else.

Any unregulated or poorly regulated fisheries that can't harvest species sustainably need to be suppressed, including the unregulated shark fin fisheries that are the problem.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »

I find it hard to believe that that's the most delicious dish you've ever had in your life...shark's fin has no flavour...it's just protein collagen fibers in chicken soup....try their chicken noodle soup next time.
Head hunting, slavery, rhino horns, female circumcision, duelling, shark finning........just another "cultural tradition" that no longer has a place in modern society.
It's all of the above....but the consumer is still king.

Any unregulated or poorly regulated fisheries that can't harvest species sustainably need to be suppressed, including the unregulated shark fin fisheries that are the problem.

X2

You could have also mentioned some of the things from the Bible.  Lets keep following some of those traditions also...lol.
http://biblebabble.curbjaw.com/laws.htm

dnibbles

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »

You're going to hell Steve. Good luck sidestepping St Peter.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13