Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharkfin Soup  (Read 73756 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Sharkfin Soup
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »

I agree his use of delicious wordings is a bit too strong in this case and is unnecessary for the debate. I hope he is not banned because he, like me, takes the stance to defend the cultural practice of the Chinese to eat shark-fin soup in ceremonial ocassions. As far as I know, most cultural Chinese in HK, China, Taiwan and wherever they live in the world are not anti-shark-fin. Some are, particularly those grown up or educated in the West. But they are not the majority. I hope that people's voice don't get shut down even if they disagree with those who are for the ban. This is a democracy and a plural society. Opposing voices should be heard and debated without threat of punishment. Why not just take out the objectional wordings with a warning instead of banning his voice? But his FB page is obviously distasteful and cross the line.

His counter argument above on unfair media exposure is not out of reach of fair reasoning. While the HK picture is a bit offensive to some viewers, the Denmark picture is equally offensive to some, and both photos were probably taken from people out there to prove human's insensitivity to animals. His point is that why not more of the western media pushing the anti-dolphin button with the kind of vigor and coverage as the anti-shark hunt movement? That has been a universal point of unfairness shared by most cultural chinese, that they are being made a scape goat by the western media.

I am more for countries to work together to protect shark species which are scientifically proven endangered, and protect others with substainable quota and enforceable regulations. Sharks, whales, dolphins, blue-fin tuna, sturgeon should all be regulated with quota. Endangered species should be protected. The other sharks should be allowed to be harvested just like other more plentiful tuna and fishes.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:15:04 PM by liketofish »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Sharkfin Soup
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »

Progress, better late than never.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srsKrWHKUOg