Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gut & chuck.  (Read 40129 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: Gut & chuck.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »

if its way past death and already on the shore, than i dont see nothing wrong with taking the roe, im pretty sure thats what dboy meant.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »

So you are admitting to illegal activity?

To what illegal activity are you referring? What article of what law did he violate?
Not all those who wander are lost

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 07:25:43 PM »

Because you might be introducing some kind of pathogen from the farmed fish into the river. Most commercially available angling roe is from Chum, where do you think it comes from? If you are concerned about are buying it you might be better off  purchasing the single eggs from local hatcheries that some tackle shops sell and making roe bags.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

To what illegal activity are you referring? What article of what law did he violate?

It doesn't matter how it died. It is illegal to remove roe from a dead fish.
I don't know the exact statute but it is enforced similar to non commercial or FN people using nets:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/SFG-GPS/SFGfresh-GPSdouce-2011-eng.pdf
"It is illegal to sport fish for salmon and trout, except by angling."

Fraser Valley guides are very aware of this and are careful not to get caught.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »

I don't know the exact statute but it is enforced similar to non commercial or FN people using nets:

The same Fraser Valley guides who grab floaters and slice them up for sturgeon bait?  They get "caught" doing this all the time, as they make no bones about it all.  This is not the same as using nets without a commercial license as those fish are alive when they swim into the net, so I do not see how it could be enforced under the same article.  All one would need to do is hook the dead fish in the mouth and it was caught it by "angling."

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 09:53:11 AM »

'Eat what you kill'  That's the rule my father taught me.
'Fishing for roe' ? is that what it has come down to?
There is a purpose why we fish, I'm pretty sure its not for roe.
Its not like there is a shortage of roe. The cost of roe is not absurd either.
I know that it is illegal to do that with caviar, but they are called 'Poachers'
Is this another form of poaching? if not, just no respect to ocean then?
I just don't understand the 'Fishing for roe' concept.
That person should of just let the two salmon spawn.
What a waste in my opinion.

Carich980

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 11:54:43 AM »

I've heard some people especially with pinks, salt the roe and eat it. Don't know about the other species as I would think it would all make me gag but to each their own. Might not just be guys taking the roe for bait.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »

The same Fraser Valley guides who grab floaters and slice them up for sturgeon bait?  They get "caught" doing this all the time, as they make no bones about it all.  This is not the same as using nets without a commercial license as those fish are alive when they swim into the net, so I do not see how it could be enforced under the same article.  All one would need to do is hook the dead fish in the mouth and it was caught it by "angling."
Try snagging a dead fish in front of a CO and see if they call it angling...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »

I've heard some people especially with pinks, salt the roe and eat it. Don't know about the other species as I would think it would all make me gag but to each their own. Might not just be guys taking the roe for bait.
Salted roe (ikura) is a common delicacy and very easy to make yourself, but yeah, it's not for everyone. But I dont think anyone wanting roe for human consumption would risk acquiring it from a fish that died under unknown circumstances/timeframe.

I would wager harvesting roe from a carcass is darn near 100% for bait...

Regarding the legality, if you were to hypothetically pick up a floater for sturgeon bait, would that just count towards your daily retention limit, and therefore entitle you to the roe inside it?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »

Truthfully, I don't see this as any different from picking up a floater in the Fraser and using it for sturgeon bait, which is a very common practice by guides and sports alike.  I don't think that could be construed as "angling".
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:25:36 PM by Matt »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »

Try snagging a dead fish in front of a CO and see if they call it angling...

COs watch people snag salmon in the mouth all the time... it is called flossing...but really that is another discussion.  What makes this practice illegal may be the wasting of the fish.  I do think they would have something to say if you caught a salmon (a live one), sliced it open and took out the roe then tossed the carcass back.  It IS illegal to waste your catch.  If you are not intending on consuming the fish you catch, you are required by law to release it "quickly and gently" to the water. While I have not come across any regulation that deals with salmon that are already dead.  It IS illegal to have more than 1 kg of roe in your possession unless you have a freshly dressed fish from which more than 1 kg of roe could have been taken so if you take more than 1 Kg of roe from the dead fish, you would be violating that article. Even if you took less than the 1kg, it could still be said that you "wasted" the catch since you did not use the whole fish.  It is just such a grey area as there is not specific regulation against it, it would come down to a judge's interpretation alone.  A fly fisherman's life is so much less complicated, we just need to remember when we can or cannot use a strike indicator.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:52:33 PM by Sandman »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 02:12:53 PM »

The salmon roe you guys buy from Tackle Shops {AKA -  Berry's Bait and Tackle as well as many others} is damn near all from Farmed Fish. They get it delivered in quantities that range from 1000lbs to 2500lbs per delivery.

I know this because I help them cure it and put it into the tubs that you buy.

Selling farmed salmon roe is perfectly legal as long as you are a legit company/business. It's no different than selling a salmon like Safeway does. ::)

You guys that say all this crap should get your facts straight before typing, you make yourselves look like complete B.E.A.K.S :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:15:23 PM by Bently »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »

Gutting a salmon and just keeping it's roe is illegal.

Tidal regulation:
possess any fish caught while sport fishing that is dressed or packed in a manner so that the species cannot be easily identified, measured where size limits are applicable, is of hatchery origin where hatchery salmon are allowed, and the number of fish readily counted where quotas are applicable.

Freshwater:  (under Transporting and Exporting Fish)
Leave the head, tail and all fins on your catch until you get them to your permanent (ordinary) residence.We suggest you immediately remove the gills and internal organs of any fish you keep to reduce spoilage.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 02:50:48 PM »

Gutting a salmon and just keeping it's roe is illegal.

Tidal regulation:
possess any fish caught while sport fishing that is dressed or packed in a manner so that the species cannot be easily identified, measured where size limits are applicable, is of hatchery origin where hatchery salmon are allowed, and the number of fish readily counted where quotas are applicable.

Freshwater:  (under Transporting and Exporting Fish)
Leave the head, tail and all fins on your catch until you get them to your permanent (ordinary) residence.We suggest you immediately remove the gills and internal organs of any fish you keep to reduce spoilage.

Those regulations are governing the butchering of the fish so that it is no longer able to be identified, measured, and counted. Neither of them would apply since you would have no fish in your possession, just the roe.  The regulation applying to roe is stated above and refers to the amount of roe (1kg). As I mentioned above, the applicable regulation would be the one prohibiting the "wasting" of the catch, which would include tossing the carcass after harvesting the roe.  It specifically states that if you are not intending on consuming the fish (due to age, species, or quota limits) you must release it quickly and gently to the water.  So if you want the roe, you must keep the whole fish and consume it (of course if you choose to throw it away later or fertilize your garden with it, no one could stop you).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:54:06 PM by Sandman »

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »

You don't need to use roe to catch fish. I quit using that stuff years ago and took up fly fishing as a personal challenge after being successful at other techniques. Look at all the fishing reports where fellow fishers are catching coho,springs, and steelhead successfully not using roe but with spinners,wool and spoons. They catch their fair share and get almost as many strikes as the roe fishers /flossers.
Rodney has no problem putting a limit of coho on the beach as do many others not using bait.
I'm not saying to stop using roe bait altogether but to conserve our fishery by using other types of terminal tackle. You don't always need to use bait to catch fish.Reducing the need for roe will allow more eggs to spawn. In a small way this will reduce the need for killing females for bait.

As for seeing a gutted fish in the water,how do you know it was caught and gutted just for it's eggs. Many of us has seen a dead salmon washed into the shallows intact.It may have been gutted after the fact. It may have died from not surviving the rigors of the spawning migration,a poor release from mishandling, or getting off the hook after a protracted fight. The thought of waste doesn't come into question if you don't need the roe and you won't run afoul of the regs if you get caught with roe and no fish to show from where it came from. I've seen this rule enforced on the Stave where a fellow gave the roe from a fish he kept to another. The recipient was then busted by DFO on site who witnessed the transaction for contravening the regs and recieved a ticket.
It ain't the roe bro'