Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gut & chuck.  (Read 40019 times)

RiverRunner

Gut & chuck.
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »

So I was out fishing today at my local river, was doing my usual walk and scout for fish when I came across 2 dead spring 25+ lbs laying in between some rocks. Seemed like an odd spot for these fish to end up after they spawn and die. I decided to take a closer look and realized someone had cought the fish and taken all the roe out leaving the fish to rot. What's the point in this? ??? I find it pointless to kill a fish of this size just so you can have more roe to catch more fish.  Consume the meat at least. Really bothers me to know people are doing cupcakes like this in a river that needs every fish it can get.

RiverRunner

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: Gut & chuck.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »

Yeah I saw the same thing on the fraser, only with pinks. But even so, it is quite a waste of a perfectly good fish, and a life. Sure its just a pink, but I have always been of the mindset that we are ALL animals, and thus equal. Maybe not completely, but I do think the waste of a life is never morally acceptable. It really makes me sad to see others whose actions show their idea of superiority. But I guess if they are within the law, then we must let them do as they please. I dont know if its legal/illegal, but its a damn shame! Makes me glad there are forums like this for others to at least voice their opinion and concern of the fish.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »

If you're going to kill it you better eat it. Especially the females. The potential offspring lost because of roe harvesting and not consu
Ing the fish is ridiculous

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »

I agree with all of you guys. I have seen this done on both the fraser and the vedder, and i'm sure it's even worse on the stave.

And it's a surprise to some that chum runs aren't what they should?

Mind you, it's not just because of roe fisheries, and the chum could just be late this year, but targeting chum just for their roe is wasteful and could make the fish even more sought after than any other species due to the high value chum roe has in the sushi markets AND for bait.

It doesn't matter if it's legal or not as the law does not and never has AND never WILL have any moral component to it. Even if it's legal it still is wrong in my books.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »

spend the $8 at a tackle shop for a pound of roe [sure it isnt always sustainably sourced, but i'd like to think it is, AND I know that a lot of it is from fish farms)

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »

and yet more evidence of the lack of supervision of angling which should be there ........... still never bumped into a CO in over 3 years across many rivers and lakes.

all anglers should respect the life of a fish (of any animal!) people who treat fish in this way are not even close to being anglers.

pity them but more pity the poor fish ..... as if it hasnt already run the gauntlet to even get into the river.

sad
Try the fly!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:06:26 PM »

spend the $8 at a tackle shop for a pound of roe [sure it isnt always sustainably sourced, but i'd like to think it is, AND I know that a lot of it is from fish farms)

I really doubt shops get any roe from farms.  I strongly suspect farmed salmon are harvested prior to maturity as soon as they reach a harvestable size, there'd be no sense in feeding a farmed salmon extra food when that food is ultimately going to gamete production.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »

I don't agree with it either but I'm also not naive enough to think that this practice has anything to do with the low Chum returns. Would be interesting to know how much of the roe from the Strait of Georgia chum fishery ends up as bait or what happens to the chum meat from that fishery. It may seem perverse but at least those gutted carcass feed back into the river and support new life.

bcguy

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »

Once again the question of ethics raises its ugly head.
Is it legal to take roe? Of course it is...as long as you have the fish in your possession.
If you are truly concerned about the potential reproduction of females and complain about roe harvesters, I would throw the question back why you would keep a female. What is the difference beween keeping a female and consuming, and not consuming, but using the roe, are the results not the same? A potential lack of reproduction? I my self believe in catch and release unless choosing to consume, but utilizing the roe if it is a female.
But to take it one step higher, what about commercial fisheries dedicated to pet food and fertilzer production.
It's like bitching about the guy flossing a Sockeye, but then stopping by to purchase a Sockeye from Save-On caught in a net?!?!?! Because somehow it is found to be more ethical. :-\
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 01:38:44 AM »

Once again the question of ethics raises its ugly head.
Is it legal to take roe? Of course it is...as long as you have the fish in your possession.
If you are truly concerned about the potential reproduction of females and complain about roe harvesters, I would throw the question back why you would keep a female. What is the difference beween keeping a female and consuming, and not consuming, but using the roe, are the results not the same? A potential lack of reproduction? I my self believe in catch and release unless choosing to consume, but utilizing the roe if it is a female.
But to take it one step higher, what about commercial fisheries dedicated to pet food and fertilzer production.
It's like bitching about the guy flossing a Sockeye, but then stopping by to purchase a Sockeye from Save-On caught in a net?!?!?! Because somehow it is found to be more ethical. :-\

you raise some very valid points which I cant really argue with. Although I think for me it's the 'waste' factor that bothers me the most, people seem to be desensitized when they go "awesome, a female chum, that'll save me 8 bucks on roe, lets rip out the eggs and throw the meat back"

But im sure far worse stuff goes on with commercial fishermen at sea we dont even know the half of.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 01:39:21 AM »

I really doubt shops get any roe from farms.  I strongly suspect farmed salmon are harvested prior to maturity as soon as they reach a harvestable size, there'd be no sense in feeding a farmed salmon extra food when that food is ultimately going to gamete production.

hmm yeah, I never thought of that

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »

Also there is very little farmed Pacific salmon and I am pretty sure it would be illegal to use Atlantic salmon roe?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »

Also there is very little farmed Pacific salmon and I am pretty sure it would be illegal to use Atlantic salmon roe?

why exactly would it be illegal? roe is roe

dboy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

I would not kill a salmon without the intention of consuming it. If desperate for roe and dont have money for bait, walk around peg leg, KWB or some place like that and mooch off wool-using fishers when they gut their catch...

Last week however, I found a dead female pink in good shape so slit the belly and took the roe. I have a feeling this was a discarded fish caught by a fisherman.  I certainly wasnt about to eat the fish but at least the roe went to use. 

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »

I would not kill a salmon without the intention of consuming it. If desperate for roe and dont have money for bait, walk around peg leg, KWB or some place like that and mooch off wool-using fishers when they gut their catch...

Last week however, I found a dead female pink in good shape so slit the belly and took the roe. I have a feeling this was a discarded fish caught by a fisherman.  I certainly wasnt about to eat the fish but at least the roe went to use. 

So you are admitting to illegal activity?