Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gut & chuck.  (Read 40133 times)

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: Gut & chuck.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »

The salmon roe you guys buy from Tackle Shops {AKA -  Berry's Bait and Tackle as well as many others} is damn near all from Farmed Fish. They get it delivered in quantities that range from 1000lbs to 2500lbs per delivery.

I know this because I help them cure it and put it into the tubs that you buy.

Selling farmed salmon roe is perfectly legal as long as you are a legit company/business. It's no different than selling a salmon like Safeway does. ::)

You guys that say all this crap should get your facts straight before typing, you make yourselves look like complete B.E.A.K.S :D
Interesting, what kind of farmed fish is Berries roe from?

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 07:00:21 PM »

They told me Chum, I think he is mistaken about the farmed fish.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »

I thought it was Chum too, if I am wrong I apologize for being a beak. As far as I am aware there is no farmed Chum only Coho and and Chinook. I just find it surprising given the worries about transfer of material between different rivers that it would be ok to chuck the guts from a fish farm into our local rivers.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »

Truthfully, I don't see this as any different from picking up a floater in the Fraser and using it for sturgeon bait, which is a very common practice by guides and sports alike.  I don't think that could be construed as "angling".
It may be a common practice but it is also illegal.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »

It may be a common practice but it is also illegal.

Where is that defined as illegal?

Non-tidal regs (below Mission Bridge)
Is it?  http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_provincial.pdf

Tidal (downstream of Mission Bridge)
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.htm

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »

Go up about 20 posts. I don't have any further information.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »

It's farmed Atlantic Salmon roe, I guess the hats outta the bag now :o, and to the other guy..... no I'm not mistaken at all.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »

Thanks, not sure whether that would make me more or less inclined to buy it.

Zackattack

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »

It's farmed Atlantic Salmon roe, I guess the hats outta the bag now :o, and to the other guy..... no I'm not mistaken at all.

Can anyone confirm if Berrys is indeed using farmed salmon Roe?
Since I was just there and asked out of curiosity where they get the chum roe from, and they told me its sold off by the commies to them.
Even if it is Atlantic roe thats fine. Just id rather not be lied to...

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »

I asked for fresh Boraxed Chum Roe when I buy roe @ Berry's.  I would hope that is what I get.

Zackattack

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »

The same Fraser Valley guides who grab floaters and slice them up for sturgeon bait?  They get "caught" doing this all the time, as they make no bones about it all.  This is not the same as using nets without a commercial license as those fish are alive when they swim into the net, so I do not see how it could be enforced under the same article.  All one would need to do is hook the dead fish in the mouth and it was caught it by "angling."

Ya went on a guided sturgeon trip recently and was shoked to find out that they are not allowed to pickup dead fish in the river and use them as bait! They must catch live fish and then ROT THEM!! Seams like a huge waste. We were motoring past tonnes of dead pinks the other week and the guide wouldnt pick them up. He was using rotted previously caught fresh fish from the summer... seams like an odd rule

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »

So the roe I bought at Berry's might have the Infectious Salmon Anemia virus ????

interesting !

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 05:45:06 AM »

Can anyone confirm if Berrys is indeed using farmed salmon Roe?
Since I was just there and asked out of curiosity where they get the chum roe from, and they told me its sold off by the commies to them.
Even if it is Atlantic roe thats fine. Just id rather not be lied to...

People, don't get me wrong, the roe you buy from Berry's {other tackle shops too} is still a great product and works very,very good. I have caught many, many fish using their roe. The fact of the matter is, is that if they were to come out and say it is "Farmed" they might see a decline in sales.

The roe you get is a perfect product, done {cured} very well, with the eggs being above average size. Don't think for one minute that just because it's farmed roe that the fish won't want to eat it, like I said earlier, it works great!! Don't hesitate to buy it.

"Sold off by the commies".........that's a good one, but hey wait just a second, doesn't most people on here think that salmon farmers "ARE the commies !! :D :D :D

Robert_G

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 08:25:28 AM »

Sure its just a pink, but I have always been of the mindset that we are ALL animals, and thus equal.

Do you have any idea of the politicaly devastating possiblities that could come out of rubbish like this if it ever caught on?
It really erks me when people equate us (humans) with animals. We are not animals. We reason and have the ability to apply morality and ethics to our lives. Animals can not do that. Animals cannot reflect on past feelings and experiences.....only instinct.

Although....there is one guy for sure who would agree with you....his name was Adolf Hitler and he had no problem using humans for scientific experiments in the same way we test things on rats and such...ie cosmetics, drugs...etc..although he took it a step further and did experiments like surgery while the person was awake with no freezing and such...etc...etc.

As for wasting fish....I agree completely.....it's unfortunate that some waste our resourses like that.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:28:18 AM by Robert_G »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 09:19:03 AM »

Ya went on a guided sturgeon trip recently and was shoked to find out that they are not allowed to pickup dead fish in the river and use them as bait! They must catch live fish and then ROT THEM!! Seams like a huge waste. We were motoring past tonnes of dead pinks the other week and the guide wouldnt pick them up. He was using rotted previously caught fresh fish from the summer... seams like an odd rule

It is definitely not a waste. Dead salmon contribute massively to the health of the ecosystem, from feeding smolts to fertilizing streams for the next generation. Rotting is good.