Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Internet forums and fishing pressure  (Read 12802 times)

rheticus

Internet forums and fishing pressure
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:16:28 PM »

The best way to ruin any remaining "local trout streams" will be to advertise them on forums like this one!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »

The best way to ruin any remaining "local trout streams" will be to advertise them on forums like this one!

No, the best way to ruin a local trout stream is to dump toxic waste in it.  Fishermen are the guardians of the waterways and are the best tools to monitor the health of these streams. No one is saying that the Brunette is "On Fire" or that you can catch your limit at the Nicomekl.  If you think hoards of beaks are going to flock to these streams because of what I just posted, you are delusional.  If you do not want to share information in a friendly and responsible manner than I suggest you stop visiting "forums like this one".   
Not all those who wander are lost

Nucks

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »

Whatever happened to people just going out to check out a river  :o?  Why don't you try exploring rather than "internet fishing"?

Rheticus is absolutely right. Well, technically you are right in terms of ruining a river, toxic waste will do that. But in terms of decreasing the fishing experience, Rheticus is totally right. Do you realize how many local streams and rivers (not to be named here) have had an explosion in terms the amount of fisherman which can inturn increase the amount of garbage, noise pollution, quads, dirt bikes, snags, foliage and immature trees getting cut down ???. Go back about 10-15 years when you could walk into some of these places and you'd be the only person around, no garbage, just you on a peaceful river enjoying some time away from the rat race.

Just look at the explosion of people on the Fraser and Vedder in the past few years. Why is that?..................my assumption is because of the Internet.  :-[

Forums like this should be more about learning proper fishing techniques, different fishing techniques, learning about fish and different species and meeting new friends.  :)

If you really want to know where to fish for trout, why don't you leaf through the fishing regulations, why don't you inquire at your local fishing store, why don't you read a magazine, why don't you read a book?

Has anybody else noticed the decreasing amount of fishing reports lately on this forum and others? Why do you think that is? Is it because people aren't catching fish? Doubtful. I think we can all put two and two together here.

One thing I've been reading lately is that someone posts a fishing report without naming the location and then that person gets pm's from random people asking where they caught that fish   ??? ??? It's like, are you kidding me? There's a reason why people don't like to post the location. Again, I think we can all put two and two together. Right?

Anyways, that's my rant for today   ;) I'm going fishing this weekend and not telling anyone where I'm going except my buddy that I'm going with  ;D How did I find out about it, I explored a "local" river and found it on my own  :D

Tight lines.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »

Well, first off, posting a fishing report without a location is just bragging as it is not only contrary to the rules of the forum, it also offers nothing useful to anyone, so by all means keep it to yourself if you do not want to share your favorite spot.  Secondly, the increase in fishing pressure in the last few years has more to do with the increase in population and the percentage of that population taking up fishing as a relatively cheap pastime.  The Vedder and the Fraser have been world renowned fisheries for over 50 years so don't bother trying to convince me that the increase in people fishing these rivers is a result of the internet.  Thirdly, and the point I was trying to make, is that while it IS true that a post of good fishing success on this forum will probably translate into more people fishing that location in the immediate future, a post such as the one I just made will not result in crowds suddenly appearing on any of those streams I mentioned.  The crowds that troll the fishing reports are after meat, and they will end up at the meat holes, it is just a question of which one.  Again, I did not say I was just at the Brunette and caught dozens of 12 inch rainbows.  I said I had success there in the past for small rainbows, that it is a fragile stream, and that it needs to be cared for with respect (no littering your dew worm containers).  None of the streams I mentioned is a secret and I made no grandiose claims about any of them.  The reason people do not post reports is because they are hypocrites that will read everyone else reports but will never offer one of their own.

rheticus

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »

Dear Sandman et al.: I didn't mean to dis anybody or to display (or incite!) any animosity. Nothing I said was intended to criticize your post. I was just putting in one person's gentle suggestion that the original question not be greeted with too many specifics. I think I have a right to do that. You're of course right about toxic waste, etc. -- though I'm not terribly impressed with the shores of rivers and lakes where the general fishing public hangs out. I've developed the habit of taking an extra garbage bag along with me to pick up the garbage, including tangles of monofilament, that *some* fishermen (hopefully not members of this list!) can't be bothered to pick up.

Anyhow, peace to all responsible fishermen and fisherwomen!

Nucks

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »

You're missing the entire point.  :o

I'll refer you to my very first point........Whatever happened to people just going out to check out a river  ?  Why don't you try exploring rather than "internet fishing"?

I agree with your first point.  :)

I totally disagree with your second point. If you truly think that "the increase in fishing pressure in the last few years has more to do with the increase in population ", you are truly out to lunch. The population has not increased that much in the past few years thats equated to more people fishing. Yes, the population has increased, I'll give you that, but the population has always been on the rise.

If you don't believe the internet has increased fishing presence on the Vedder, you are again truly out to lunch. Go back a few years before the internet got really popular and these forums weren't around. As you state and I agree with, "the Fraser and Vedder have been world renowned fisheries for over 50 years".............why weren't these rivers busy back then? Please don't give me the increase in population story again.  :-\

It's the internet and there is no arguing. Look how many people join these forums. Don't get me wrong, I've learned a ton about fishing since I've joined this site and a few others, but I've also seen these rivers take a turn for the worse in terms of fishing etiquette (which is another scary story) and fishing enjoyment. I blame it on the internet and word of mouth. There are so many fish around these days and they are so easy to catch. Look at all the whites a few years ago, look at all the chums a few years ago, look at the sockeye last year, look at all the pinks two years ago.

Has there always been a "Vedder Cleanup", I doubt it. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that these cleanups originated when the fishing population increased.

To your third point, I made no mention of your post increasing fishing presence on a river so I don't know what you're talking about.  ???

Your arguments are weak.  ;)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Internet forums and fishing pressure
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »

I totally get your point.  Unlike you, though, I will not insult you, unless you personally read the fishing reports on this forum, then I will call you a hypocrite.  The internet did not get people to go fishing, nor did it get people to go to the Vedder.  People have always gone to the Vedder for salmon and steelhead.  There are more people fishing the Fraser and the Vedder because there are simply more people fishing today than there was 20 years ago.  Again, the internet did not get people to start fishing.  I have been fishing for over 40 years and before the internet there was a regular fishing report in all the local papers. I always checked it before heading out fishing.  While I enjoy exploring all manner of river and lakes, I also enjoy catching fish so I also like fishing places that are presently producing fish.  Lots of people read these regular reports of fishing success at the Vedder, but they did not run out and take up fishing.   Of course, that report also reported on other rivers and lakes in the lower Mainland, so there was always other options than the "gong show" at the Vedder (yes, it was already considered a gong show in the 70s). More people are fishing today and it stands to reason that they are going to go to the most productive river system in the lower mainland. This is especially true when the only river anyone reports about any more is the Vedder, it makes the masses feel that there is no better place to fish.  As I said, a favorable report on the internet might increase the pressure at a location in the immediate future, until a more favorable report is made about another location.  However, since we will never see a report from any other location you can expect more people to fish the Vedder. 

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:20 PM »

I totally get your point.  Unlike you, though, I will not insult you, unless you personally read the fishing reports on this forum, then I will call you a hypocrite.  The internet did not get people to go fishing, nor did it get people to go to the Vedder.  People have always gone to the Vedder for salmon and steelhead.  There are more people fishing the Fraser and the Vedder because there are simply more people fishing today than there was 20 years ago.  Again, the internet did not get people to start fishing.  I have been fishing for over 40 years and before the internet there was a regular fishing report in all the local papers. I always checked it before heading out fishing.  While I enjoy exploring all manner of river and lakes, I also enjoy catching fish so I also like fishing places that are presently producing fish.  Lots of people read these regular reports of fishing success at the Vedder, but they did not run out and take up fishing.   Of course, that report also reported on other rivers and lakes in the lower Mainland, so there was always other options than the "gong show" at the Vedder (yes, it was already considered a gong show in the 70s). More people are fishing today and it stands to reason that they are going to go to the most productive river system in the lower mainland. This is especially true when the only river anyone reports about any more is the Vedder, it makes the masses feel that there is no better place to fish.  As I said, a favorable report on the internet might increase the pressure at a location in the immediate future, until a more favorable report is made about another location.  However, since we will never see a report from any other location you can expect more people to fish the Vedder. 
A favorable general report from a river that can handle the pressure is one thing but you don't have to give the exact directions to a spot to thousands of lurkers though. What's wrong with a PM or email? People just have to use a bit of common sense when they post questions or respond to them. It's an unfortunate fact that many of those lurkers have no respect for the resource or for the local residents who live in said parts, be they anglers or otherwise. You give directions to a parking spot and the knock on effect may be too many people parking, garbage etc. Residents get pissed off and access gets shut down etc. Not saying don't share information, just be aware with how many people you are sharing it with, and the fact that the majority of these people are an unknown quantity as they never post. I can't prove that the guys fishing with a buzzbomb, treble and prawn, the guys booting pinks back into the water or the guy who was going to bonk a dolly found there way there because of your post, but you can't disprove that either so maybe it's bet to er on the side of caution and send a PM or email. If you want to post about more sensitive systems don't be surprised if locals get on your back about it, they probably fish those streams weekly or daily and are protective of their back yard waters and rightly resentful of the kind of people such posts might attract and the effect of this kind of pressure on both the fishery and their own angling experience. It's a free country, there's public access to all these places and rightly so, just saying you don't need to advertise it on an open forum, there a whole swathe of grey area when it comes to sharing reports and you just have to use your common sense.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »

No one is saying that the Brunette is "On Fire" or that you can catch your limit at the Nicomekl. 
you can get fish out of the nickomekl?  ::)
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »

This dang website revealed all my secret spots in Richmond  http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/tidal_fraser_river.html  :'(

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »

you can get fish out of the nickomekl?  ::)

Apparently not.  I am glad someone told me.  I can stop wasting my time there.

Nucks

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »

Well said Nickredway  ;D

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »

Hey guys,

I heard there's no fish in the Fraser, Capilano, Vedder, Chehalis, Cheakamus, Harrison, Bulkley, Skagit and Skeena systems anymore.  Y'all should probably go fish somewhere else, or not at all.  Save yourself some time.

J
- John A.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 04:00:14 PM »

I went fishing this morning but I am not going to say where or how well I did.

Nucks

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »

Atta boy   :D

Really though, you're missing the whole point  :-*. If you feel so inclined, you should share with others, you just don't need to give specifics (ie- exact location, turn left here, 40 paces here, fish at the log jam type of thing) and I'm sure most would agree that the smaller streams and lesser known spots should not be mentioned for fear of turning them into the next gong show.

Let people figure things out on there own, they might actually enjoy walking a river and exploring  8) Those are some of the best days.