Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Local Trout Streams  (Read 4742 times)

Dbasche

Local Trout Streams
« on: August 22, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »

Hey guys I was wondering if anybody has some ideas about places where I can fish for trout. I would prefer river and streams as I am trying to practice my river fishing techniques and reading abilities. I understand if people dont want to give up their locations but maybe you have some tips on how to look for these types of places. Ive bought a mapbook and have been looking in the internet but mostly its just the bigger and more common streams I can find. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Local Trout Streams
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »

Hey guys I was wondering if anybody has some ideas about places where I can fish for trout. I would prefer river and streams as I am trying to practice my river fishing techniques and reading abilities. I understand if people dont want to give up their locations but maybe you have some tips on how to look for these types of places. Ive bought a mapbook and have been looking in the internet but mostly its just the bigger and more common streams I can find. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

Well you can try fishing the smaller less "common" streams and see what you get.  When I used to live in Burnaby I fished the Brunette with some success for small bows.  Now that I live in Langley, the Nicomekl is my urban trout stream.  These are small fragile systems and need to be treated with respect, and you should not hope for much.   Any stream that outlets from a stocked lake is going to have fish in it, so look in that map book for those. Further afield, you can try the Sumallo, Skagit, and Similkameen which all have good numbers of resident rainbows.  Closer to home, the Alouette, Coquitlam, Stave, and Harrison have decent cuthroat fishing when the salmon are laying eggs. 
Not all those who wander are lost

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »

The Serpentine and Nicomekl Rivers are pretty much a  waste of time for trout.

Your way better bet is to target to the local stocked lakes for trout.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »

Before ranting, it might be a good idea to find out where "local" is for Dbasche. ;) Maybe it's Vancouver Island, Skeena? ;) I've moved some of the discussion in this thread to http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=27633.0 so this topic is not derailed.

Anyway, I'm going to assume Dbasche is talking about the Lower Mainland so here goes. In the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley, rivers that feed into the Fraser River, Howe Sound, Burrard Inlet, etc all have trout and char in them. Some have more than others. They are anadromous, like pacific salmon, but don't necessarily migrate with a specific pattern like them. Some refer to their lifestyle as amphidromous, meaning that they travel back and forth between salt and freshwater irregularly. The main factor that determines their whereabout is food. If you can find their food items, you will find them. Anadromous trout and char feed mostly on salmon at different life stages. In fall months, you will find them staging behind salmon, feeding on eggs that are deposited but carried away from redds by the current. In winter months, their diet changes to pieces of salmon carcasses as well as benthic fish species in rivers such as sculpins. In spring, their diet shifts to juvenile salmonids and sticklebacks. In summer, they are generally not found in rivers. Instead, they travel into the ocean and feed on baitfish.

Any of the rivers and sloughs are worth trying. This is where trial and error comes in. Most of the times you will not find anything, but occasionally you will hit the jackpot. Look for fish staging behind salmon between October and December. Look for signs of fish on the surface between March and May.

Just outside of the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley, there are also trout streams that you can explore. Skagit would be the most popular one. These resident trout, stay in rivers permanently and your tactic on catching them is quite different to what you would use on the coast. Fly fishing with dries and nymphs, spincasting with tiny spinners are the way to go. Check the regulations of course to make sure that the stream is not only restricted to fly fishing only if you decide to fish with lures.

Good luck!

Dbasche

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »

First of all Gents I did not intend to create any kind of thread where people argue back and forth against each other. All I was asking  for are some locations, if people are willing to give them up, or for certain methods of finding places on you own. Im not someone who just uses the internet for information but since it is free and there are forums with such nice people on them why not try through this source as well. I am new to fly fishing and have been travelling around 1000km by car in the past month just to find exotic rivers, sometimes having success and sometimes not. Anyways I appreciate all the help, I was just trying to be able to plan my trips a little better. Thanks sandman and Rod for this valueble information, I will make good use of it. Looks like ill be travelling all along lots more to find my own great places to fish for trout.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »

The Harrison and the Stave are both lower mainland streams that can give up some nice sized trout. Many small ones but if you put in the time and know your stuff, you stand a chance at 20 inch plus fish.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Dbasche

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »

Thanks, I was just reading through some of the repsonse on different threads and seemed to have found my solution to my problem.

roseph

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »

It's ok, new guys come on here at least weekly asking the same thing but just realize as soon as someone answers your question, you'll be looking for a new spot to avoid the 50 guys that read it here and went to check it out. 

I think you'll find that discovering good fishing water on your own is half the joy.  Use that map book and do some exploring.  There's nothing like figuring this stuff out for yourself and being rewarded for it with a tight line.