Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Internet forums and fishing pressure  (Read 12902 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Internet forums and fishing pressure
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »

Atta boy   :D

Really though, you're missing the whole point  :-*. If you feel so inclined, you should share with others, you just don't need to give specifics (ie- exact location, turn left here, 40 paces here, fish at the log jam type of thing) and I'm sure most would agree that the smaller streams and lesser known spots should not be mentioned for fear of turning them into the next gong show.

Let people figure things out on there own, they might actually enjoy walking a river and exploring  8) Those are some of the best days.

I never said such a thing.  I mentioned a few local streams that I had fished for trout, every one of them a well known river, no secrets here.  I mentioned they were fragile and needed to be respected.  I said that the person asking should not expect much.  Hardly post that would attract a "gong show."  Still I was chided for "advertising" local systems.  So to hell with you all.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »

I will say this.  The internet has offered something to new fishermen and women that they did not have before.  When I was growing up I learned to fish from my father, an avid fly fisherman.  I learned the skills and the ethics from him.  For those new to fishing who did not have that role model/mentor they were often left to approach the rivers and lakes with ignorance.  Yes, they had to explore to find the good spots, but they learned nothing of ethics, technique, proper fish handling, or which streams needed to be treated with extra care.  The internet has given those newbies a resource that has the opportunity to accelerate the learning curve so fewer years are spent fumbling through, committing heinous faux pas after heinous faux pas until they finally get screamed at by someone and told that what they are doing is wrong.  By then they are probably already cocky enough and arrogant enough to think their way is perfectly acceptable (they had been doing it for years after all).  However, because some people feel that their local stream is somehow theirs to enjoy in private, any chance to make use of such a tools is lost as, instead of sharing useful information, information is jealously guarded in a misguided attempt to protect the very systems that sharing information could serve to protect.  But I am done with this.  No more reports from me.
Not all those who wander are lost

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 12:42:21 AM »

hey sandman, i totally agree with you, i believe in the use it or lose it idea, if a body of water is not used for fishing then what is stopping the govt from allowing a private entity from daming it or allowing a run of river project on it?, if ppl dont know about a body of water with fish in it then how is it supposed to be protected?, if you ppl want to fish in seclusion then move away from the mainland and find a small town and become a hermit, like wtf are you ppl talking about?, exclusivity can and likely will cause a small fragile system to become insignificant in the publics eye, if you want a system to be conserved then providing info about a said system to the public is the only way it will be preserved, stop being so selfish and trying to hog it all to yourselves or it WILL be the demise of a small stream or river that you hold so dearly, geezus.....holmes*

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »

and dont think it wont happen, because that would be one of the most naive things to do, the internet is here to stay, you cant fite it so you may as well embrace it....let the flaming begin,lol....holmes*

Nucks

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 05:58:08 AM »

Boy, you sure read into things Sandman. I made no mention of you saying those things, and I'm sorry if you read it that way and I apologize. I was referring to other people doing that and hoping that others don't.

And Holmes, there's enough people out there that know about the local streams. Just because it's not a gong show, doesn't mean that there is nothing known about it. Where do you dream this up? ::) You post makes zero sense in my opinion and isn't worth replying.

Sounds like you two should go fish the scale bar with three hundred of your closest friends.  ;D

I wish there was an emoticon showing me banging my heard against the wall.  ;)

Nucks

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 06:30:06 AM »

if you ppl want to fish in seclusion then move away from the mainland and find a small town and become a hermit, like wtf are you ppl talking about?,

This is the most illogical response I think I've ever heard......................just run away, run as as fast as you can, guick, gather your belongings and run  :-\

And another thing, everyone should go fish the smaller streams today so the silly government doesn't dam it up. Quick, everyone gather your children and we'll all head out together  ::)

And Holmes, you're making the assumption that I live down there. You are incorrect, I live a comfortable 5 hours away from the rat race.  ;D and couldn't be happier  ;D and no I am not a hermit contrary to popular belief  ;)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 11:34:04 AM »

--we had a local trophy lake that our fishing club put a lot of effort in... piping in water to maintain safe water level for fish.. aerator in winter... camp ground etc.used to have our first club fishing outing of the year there and also invited other clubs.. got a few seasons out of it.... then two articles in bcoutdoors plus internet plus regulation change to allow fishing in April when other fly fishing lakes are closed to fishing.. perfect storm.
--due to line up in the parking lots and unreasonable pressure for the size of the lake.. plus the number of people who pretended they did not know it was a catch and release only lake plus guys poaching in winter through the ice when the lake was closed.
--low water, aerator stopped when some bozo dropped a tree on the power line and did not report it so winter kill.

--Now you may think I'm against all this internet exposure and with good reason.. but I am not. This is just part of an ongoing evolution... the lake after die off was ignored by most fishers... we have had some recovery... more fish put in, aerator fixed and some decent fishing again.  I expect we will continue with this boom and crash of users... but as I pointed out to our fishing club.... it is not our private lake and we should expect this and we do still continue to work on improvements and management of the lake even though many of us do not regularly fish this lake as we used to. There are still some peaceful times at the lake and fun to see others have fun at it.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 01:13:53 AM »

You have to be brain dead to post a report about a small system on the internet.  Totally irresponsible and indefensible.  They can't handle the pressure that the internet brings.

As well as small systems, specific locations can be ruined.  Some moron who will remain nameless posted a report about a certain beach being "hot".  Prior to that post, there were maybe 8 other guys fishing in the morning on the whole beach.  THE VERY NEXT DAY after the post there were over 60, thats right, SIXTY people lining the beach.  It turned into a joke...overnight... all thanks to one careless post.  That one single poster RUINED that fishery. They took a nice filet mignon and turned it into a f'ing three day old meatloaf covered in flies with one careless string of text.

Using the forum "rules" as an excuse for posting location is a copout too... 

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 01:51:18 AM »

hey sandman, i totally agree with you, i believe in the use it or lose it idea, if a body of water is not used for fishing then what is stopping the govt from allowing a private entity from daming it or allowing a run of river project on it?, if ppl dont know about a body of water with fish in it then how is it supposed to be protected?, if you ppl want to fish in seclusion then move away from the mainland and find a small town and become a hermit, like wtf are you ppl talking about?, exclusivity can and likely will cause a small fragile system to become insignificant in the publics eye, if you want a system to be conserved then providing info about a said system to the public is the only way it will be preserved, stop being so selfish and trying to hog it all to yourselves or it WILL be the demise of a small stream or river that you hold so dearly, geezus.....holmes*

Seriously?....No, i mean SERIOUSLY?!? dude you really gotta stay on your meds...or is it because you're upset people don't want to create new Meat Holes?

it's called sustainability and ecological effect on the environment...there are laws under The Crown that prevent even the Government from just building dams where ever they please, then there are watch dogs like Green Peace, FoE, and The Green Party whom they have to contend with... to say people have to fish a system in order to maintain significance is just plain DUMB....sorry if this sounds insulting but you have to think before you speak.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »

there were maybe 8 other guys fishing in the morning on the whole beach.  THE VERY NEXT DAY after the post there were over 60,

Been in that situation a few times recently.
Fish, have fun for a few days, next day: You can't find a place to park, ethics and etiquette seem to fly out the window.
I wouldn't say it ruined the fishery but It definitely was not as enjoyable.

Flows will always be targeted after someone rings the bell.

I think general location is fine but when people get into specifics your just giving 1000 lurkers a cheat sheet/short cut.
There are NO private conversations or discussions on the internet.
I'll happily share some info with someone I meet after I've had the time to size them up,
unlike the faceless avatars and web surfers reading the words in these posts.

Ways to avoid the GONG SHOWS created due to internet posts:

1) Be rich and retire (go when and where ever you want)
2) be self employed (make your own hours)
3) Work shift work (afternoon shift allows you to fish in the a.m. midweek)
4) Be unemployed (see #2)
5) Don't have kids (they take up a lot of time)
6) Don't fish on the weekends.
7) Take your holidays at the appropriate times.
8) Take extra long hikes
9) Get a boat
10) Quit fishing

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »

I have to agree with the sentiment that it's unrealistic to believe that internet posting isn't responsible for increased fishing pressure at reported spots.

Afterall, I've personally fished spots that have been reported on, simply because the fishing was "good" there. Furthermore, someone else reported fishing the same location that I recently fished, thanks to my positive report on a popular spot. Despite not noticing a significant increase in the number of anglers at this spot this week I couldn't help but wonder if some of the people fishing there this week hadn't read my report and headed out there because of it.

For that reason, there are lakes and locations that I've fished that I will continue to keep "secret." They are by no means unknown fishing holes -- in fact, some are well documented as such -- but I just don't want to see anymore people there; especially considering that there is often only one or two rustic campsites at the location, and the fishing is just unreal. If I posted a report about them, it would start with "fished a lake near 70 mile house recently," "fished a creek mouth near Laidlaw," etc., etc.

Good luck out there.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 03:56:56 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

buck

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »

Cell phones are also a problem . I can't believe the number of anglers who catch a fish and within seconds of beaching the fish they are communicating with their buddies. I have observed  
an angler hook a steelhead and immediately dial his cell phone. Needless to say he lost the fish!!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »

I have observed  an angler hook a steelhead and immediately dial his cell phone. ... he lost the fish!!

Haha; serves him right for counting his chickens :D

But, ya, that der Facebook is trouble. *tweet* Just limited out at Jones *tweet* Lol. D@mn super phones :p
A rig out of water catches no fish.

StillAqua

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 07:15:40 PM »

I have to agree that the Internet and fishing report sites like this and several others have increased the danger that named specific fishing sites, particularly small streams and river bar sites, could be swamped. I've used this site and others to identify new fishing holes myself that I wouldn't otherwise have the time to go out "exploring" for.

It raises some interesting questions about the whole issue of issuing "fishing reports" now that the information can be distributed widely, inexpensively and quickly. It used to be a newspaper report, once a week, that never named any specific fishing spots. Maybe it's time to re-write the rules.

Nitroholic

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »