Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 257837 times)

samw

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2011, 01:02:03 PM »

I agree.  I appreciate all the info out there as well.  Just pointing out that there was no need to get defensive over a general friendly post by Rod which may not even be directed at your post in the first place.

I think that if we are to be so concerned about not being able to find a spot to fish, maybe you can remove your write ups on where to fish pink salmon in the Tidal Fraser Pink Salmon Fishing section

I didn't feel like I was being singled out at all. All I am saying is that there are quite a few people out here that benefit greatly from someone putting out an honest report on where some fish had been caught. There are many people that can not afford the time or luxury to "explore the river" as the time they have to fish may be quite limited due to work, small children, or large distances to travel etc. I for one had a visitor from out of town that just wanted to catch one fish. It was postings like the one that I put out there that helped me make that a possibility.

I for one appreciate people that put out reports on where fish had been caught. This river is big enough for everyone who wants to come and fish...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:05:05 PM by samw »

Mr. Iban

« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »

Not being defensive Sam just stating my point of view. Like I said earlier, I get Rod's point, I just don't agree with it.

fish.on

« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »

Give South Arm a go, most fish travel through South Arm especially early in the season.

Great tip, I was out this morning and I got my first pink. Other guys where hitting them too but they were saying it is still slow.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »

Great tip, I was out this morning and I got my first pink. Other guys where hitting them too but they were saying it is still slow.

Great work, fish.on!  I'll be hoping to duplicate your success shortly, as I got off work early today and will be heading down to the river any minute!  :)

noobfisher

« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »

Good luck!  No luck for me today, spent about three hours on the water, no bites ..... saved them all for you!   :)

steve B

« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

gonna give her a shot tonight around 5 fish the north side of the fraser east of the port mann hope get my first pink ever got my spoons all different colors and sizes fingers crossed thanks rod for all the tips from your site keep up the good work !

I heard that the majority of the run stays along the south side of the fraser derby reach matsqui but i think thats just bull lol

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2011, 05:14:19 PM »

Ah good stuff. Now that you are locked and dialed in, try and leave a few for everyone else ;)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »

Are the pinks late this year in the Tidal Fraser? Rod's 2009 Blog for Pinks started on September 2nd when the first huge wave came in. Haven't seen or heard anything like that so far.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »

Are the pinks late this year in the Tidal Fraser? Rod's 2009 Blog for Pinks started on September 2nd when the first huge wave came in. Haven't seen or heard anything like that so far.
There has not been a huge wave yet but they are coming in more and more consistantly. I have noticed constant fish pushing up instead of huge wave's so I would say the run is right on track. Poor water clarity will have something to do with the catch numbers. The last five days I have been out it has gotten better and better each trip :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »

One of the five 5 I got this morning on the incoming tide, but do not bother asking where. ::)  These were taken on a small pink bugger as my clousers were all chewed beyond repair and my larger pink bucktails (I figured the bigger the better in this water) did not produce.  Clarity was definitely an issue as I really had to work for these fish.  A very slow retrieve produced the best.  Only saw two guys fishing the bar as I drifted past but they finally got one to the beach just before I passed them.
Not all those who wander are lost

bbwong

« Reply #265 on: September 03, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »

Clarity was definitely an issue. Land 6 and lost 2 from 5-7pm tonight upstream. I was using the same spoon at Richmond yesterday and got no bite even I saw so many fishes rolling in front of my line.
More up more clear.  I think this is the reason why people had low success rate in Richmond this year.

bbwong

« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2011, 01:50:40 AM »

Forgot to mention. I know I can't tell the exact location but  I was fishing at Surrey area. ;)

Oilcruzer

« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2011, 07:29:12 AM »

Maybe it's me, but I don't get the fascination with Pinks.  It's brainless fishing, easy to land.  A sock, (and yes, they arent really fished, they are just aggressive and snap at anything in the way), a sock at least puts up a real fight.  That involves a bit more skill in landing it. 

I've released so many Pinks already, with one bad episode on a foul hooked one that exploded in bloodin the water,  as I was carefully landing her.  (yes, I released her to her watery grave.)

If you are taking the kids out to teach them the excitement of a fish on the line... Sure...  but can anyone really say that this is a skill?  Even flossing requires some technique, but this?

Maybe I should switch to a trout rod?

Nitroholic

« Reply #268 on: September 03, 2011, 08:24:39 AM »

Maybe it's me, but I don't get the fascination with Pinks.  It's brainless fishing, easy to land.  A sock, (and yes, they arent really fished, they are just aggressive and snap at anything in the way), a sock at least puts up a real fight.  That involves a bit more skill in landing it. 

I've released so many Pinks already, with one bad episode on a foul hooked one that exploded in bloodin the water,  as I was carefully landing her.  (yes, I released her to her watery grave.)

If you are taking the kids out to teach them the excitement of a fish on the line... Sure...  but can anyone really say that this is a skill?  Even flossing requires some technique, but this?

Maybe I should switch to a trout rod?

Yeah those sox sure love that wool!

Mr. Iban

« Reply #269 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:20 AM »

I love it when those sox just snap away aggressively at a 20 foot leader and some wool.