Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 256189 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:02:53 AM »

I know its early but I thought I head out to a spot on the Fraser on the chance there might be the odd pink around.

The water is very muddy compared to '09 and I am just wondering if there are any opinions about what works best with conditions like that.  I can't help thinking spinners may work better this year.  Does it make any difference?. Any thoughts?

ricer

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »

try in another 2-3 weeks - the main school of pinks is just south of the charlottes and apparentley it is a huge school.  Might be upgraded to more than 30 mill

nothing in the river yet

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:03:40 AM »

I can't help thinking spinners may work better this year.  Does it make any difference?. Any thoughts?

Only way to find out is to try it. ;) Water clarity is poorer, but not the worst. I've caught pinks when water was dirtier than this, just not as many.

I "drove by" the river yesterday and the day before just to see if there were any around. Saturday I spotted three rolling, while yesterday I spotted five and had one bumping on the lure along the retrieve.

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »

nothing in the river yet

You should get out more before giving a report like that.
You wouldn't believe how many pinks were caught at the scale bar last night. I'd say at least 20...and that was just the last few hours before dark

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »

You should get out more before giving a report like that.
You wouldn't believe how many pinks were caught at the scale bar last night. I'd say at least 20...and that was just the last few hours before dark
:(
those were Socks

drock31

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »

I was out Saturday for a bit . In 2 hours I saw about 8 risers and had one chase down my spinner. There aren't tons but it was a nice day and a good excuse to get out. There not in any great numbers yet but they are there

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »

OK, thanks everybody.   I wasn't asking whether the pinks are here or not - I know it is very hit and miss until late aug / early sept.  Just curious as to how much the clarity of the river is going to affect this and I think Rodney answered my question (..Thanks Rodney).

My wife claims she saw one rise so I am guessing there are a small number in the river but the river was so dirty I didn't feel too confident about the prospect of connecting with one.   I will definitely be using spinners more this year round.  (..of course, the rise she saw could have been a sockeye)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:54:05 PM by fishseeker »

drock31

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »

Spinners are my choice to as you can get a nice slow retrieve while still getting a good action on the lure.

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »

:(
those were Socks

I've been fishing salmon in the Fraser for almost 30 years. I know the difference....and anyone who was at the scale bar last night will tell you that lots of pinks are getting caught.
Sorry, but anyone who can't catches a pink and mistakes it for a sockeye should not be allowed to fish for salmon.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:00:52 PM by Robert_G »

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:26:46 AM »

I spent the weekend fishing the dock at Haney and the mouth of Kanaka Creek. While my girlfriend limited on socks each day, I was targeting pinks in hopes of getting an early excuse to fire up the new smoker.

I tried several different techniques, and like you, find the water to be really cloudy this year for this late in the season. So, I've got 5 'never-miss' spoons for pinks, all of which missed for the first time :(

Switched to a spinner and we were away to the races. Well, 1 pink each day, so not exactly a bonanza, but after 3 hours each day with the spoons and getting nothing, it took only 20 min. or less with the spinner.

Take that for what it's worth. Also tryng to keep my retrieve as slow as possible; the idea is to allow the fish the maximum amount of time to bite before the lure gets lost in the murk, 6 or 7 inches away.

adecadelost

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »

If ever in doubt check the albion test fishery.
Always a good indicator.
And yes they have caught the odd pink in the last couple of days so they are starting to show.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »

If ever in doubt check the albion test fishery.
Always a good indicator.
And yes they have caught the odd pink in the last couple of days so they are starting to show.

The Albion gill nets are too big to catch pink salmon.
Even in the height of the fishery in 2009, there were only a handful of fish caught each day at Albion.
Check the Whonnock test fishery at Pacific Salmon Commision.

Sept 5, 2009 - 460 pinks - the highest recorded that year.
Zero pinks so far this year.

They're out there - 5000 pinks caught in the area 13 test fishery on August 11th.
Probably take close to 2 weeks to get here.

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »

OK.........., Hook,Line and Sinker, I'll bite

Your girlfriend limited out on socks from Haney warf and Kanaka Creek!!!, please do tell you secrete of getting socks on the tidal portion of the Fraser and If they are that easy for you I do beleive sock's(not argyl or knee highs) are very good in the smoker.

Fred

Dude

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »

Boy oh boy!!!  I dont know about anyone else but I cant wait any longer for the pinks to come in.
I swear i feel as if i have read every thread about the pinks and have seen every video on youtube HAH! ;D
but I really need to catch one to calm myself down, i feel like a kid on christmas.  thinking of driving
out from richmond to furry creek area on the sea to sky hwy to catch some because i hear they are packed in there,
but not sure if im allowed to catch em up there.

azafai

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »

Boy oh boy!!!  I dont know about anyone else but I cant wait any longer for the pinks to come in.
I swear i feel as if i have read every thread about the pinks and have seen every video on youtube HAH! ;D
but I really need to catch one to calm myself down, i feel like a kid on christmas.  thinking of driving
out from richmond to furry creek area on the sea to sky hwy to catch some because i hear they are packed in there,
but not sure if im allowed to catch em up there.

you missed Furry Creek's time.  the fish moved over all to Squmaish river.  you can catch them now there or at the Mamquam confluence.