Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 256188 times)

Dude

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »

Oh thanks for the Info Azafai!!  :)
not sure if i should drive up there from richmond or wait it out somehow LOL

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 01:22:45 PM »

Personally I am a bit lazy driving all the way out to crowded spots on the Squamish for pinks - they will be in the Fraser close to home soon enough.

Looking forward to chucking some spinners around this year.  It may well prove necessary with the river so murky.

Dude

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »

its an addiction i Tell you a Addiction Must get my hands on at least one!! HAH  ;)

1stlite

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »

I have heard some people have landed some pinks while fishing for sockeye at scale bar. The numbers of pinks showing up in the lower Fraser will hopefully be increasing soon. I'm going to try the rising tide, south arm (Richmond) tomorrow morning. Early part of the pink season I prefer the early morning rising tides. Middle part of the run when there are larger numbers, anytime of the day is good when the tide is right.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

thinking of driving out from richmond to furry creek area on the sea to sky hwy to catch some because i hear they are packed in there,
but not sure if im allowed to catch em up there.

Squamish River pink fishery info: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134465&ID=recreational

Howe Sound pink fisher info: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134461&ID=recreational

If your goal is to catch and keep fish, then it's not really worth to drive up to the Sea to Sky Corridor as the daily quota is only two. A couple of weeks, you can keep four per day in the Fraser.

If you want to catch pinks in a different setting (with mountains in the background instead of an urbanized setting), then Squamish is a good place to do a half-day or full-day trip.

The fishing up there will start tapering off soon while the Fraser River fishery picks up.

anorden

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »

Sorry, but anyone who can't catches a pink and mistakes it for a sockeye should not be allowed to fish for salmon.

Seriously, how is that kind of attitude going to attract newcomers to the sport?

Whats wrong with the concept of putting the fish back if you are in doubt? Or failing that asking for help from some knowledgeable bystanders (after all theres enough of them at scale bar  ;D)

Dude

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 05:08:09 PM »

Thanks for the Great Links Rod!! Well I am thinking of going to end of gilbert today after 6 once im off work
just to enjoy the great evening!! maybe i will run into 1  ;) ..regardlesss feeels soo damn nice to be able to throw the
line out and enjoy this weather!

Robert_G

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »

Seriously, how is that kind of attitude going to attract newcomers to the sport?

Whats wrong with the concept of putting the fish back if you are in doubt? Or failing that asking for help from some knowledgeable bystanders (after all theres enough of them at scale bar  ;D)

In hunting, we have 'CORE'. You learn identification of animals BEFORE you are allowed to hunt.
One day....maybe one day, someone up there will get a brain and make the same law with fishing. I saw way too many steelies and coho bonked during the sockeye fishery last year.

azafai

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »

I agree!  the account of asking for improved and reformed regulations should separated from being hostile and rude to newcomer anglers.   

anorden

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »

In hunting, we have 'CORE'. You learn identification of animals BEFORE you are allowed to hunt.

I think a test is a great idea in theory but struggle to see it working in the real world. I am a relative newcomer to fishing and well over half the people I meet on the bars and beaches know far less than I do (ie almost nothing). These weekend warriors would have little-no interest in taking a test meaning either they just fish illegally or the numbers of fishermen drops by a load (and the rest of us will have to pay a ton more for licenses etc). Is it really fair to exclude this sector of the fishing community?

Not sure you can make a direct comparison with hunting. That is a sport that requires a ton of commitment (time and money) to get into. A lot of fishermen buy a rod and reel from Walmart ($50) and might only fish two or three days in a year. Hunters spend 1000's on guns, scopes, range practice, trucks, gas, multiple weekends scouting and so on before they even start to think about a hunting trip. They have a lot more motivation and commitment to take a CORE test.

coho65

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 11:40:30 PM »

i brought this up a couple weeks ago,if ya wanna fish you should have to take a weekend course just like the Core.Teach people how to identify species of fish,regs,etc.....Current licence holders could challenge exam instead of taking the course,a very simple and effective way to educate new anglers.it  would increase govt revenue and maybe pay for some more enforcement on the waters as well as raising fines for fishing infractions.You would still have the bad apples out there,anything would be an improvement over the frenzy that takes place now........theres more to fishing than buying rod,reel and license...alot more,jmo

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »

I have to agree. Granted, I am generally considered odd, but I WISH there was a test. At least that way I never have to wonder if I really know what Im doing, if its being done properly, and what species is what. Although I am constantly learning and trying to inform myself more, its all just book learning until you actually get a coho or a pink in your hands and have to make a snap decision on whether to keep it or not. At least with a test Ill have some sort of confidence that someone thinks I know enough to not utterly mess up. But as it is, we all learn as best we can, and will only gain more knowledge with more experience.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »

Talk to some fishers from Europe and they'll tell you about testing before you get your licence.
Take the T out of Morton.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »

As great of an idea as a test sounds, it won't be happening any time soon, in part for the following reasons:

1) would cost too much to implement
2) would cut revenue from fishing licenses by well over 50%
3) would cut revenue from fishing stores enough that most would have to close down

Sorry to burst your collective bubbles.
 :-\
Tex

Dude

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »

This thread seems to have gone off track LOL  ;)

I was out on yesterday and tuesday as well after work in the incoming tide by end of 3rd , saw few fish jump on tuesday
and nothing on wednesday, couple more weeks before the crazyinesss!!