Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass, and flooding  (Read 19036 times)

bcguy

Bass, and flooding
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »

So driving by Trinity University yesterday, I noticed how badly flooded the Salmon River was., then I thought, wow, all the Bass in the big pond out front are now in the Salmon River, and down into to the Fraser, guess thats how they spread....
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Danube Boy

Re: Bass, and flooding
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »

Bass have been in the Fraser for some time, and if they haven't than that's strange. For years I've caught them as bycatch in the lower Alouette, which gives them open access to Fraser through Pitt River of course.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »

Elephants are a big money maker too, maybe we should release some of them so we can capitalize on them too  ::) ::) ;D.  Bass have their purpose and I have no problem with bass in places where they cannot escape however; they are an invasive species and can be highly destructive to an ecosystem. Just because something makes money does not make it right to capitalize on it depending on the situation.

bcguy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »

time to pass out the crylenol and sadvil, maybe call a wambulance @ wine one one...  how can the rest of the world all co-exist and bc cant? the bass fishery is huge in the states, eastern candada and if we can  capitalize on the billion dollar industry could life here in bc get better for the all of us? i got to go to work, im sure i pissed off a whole shwack of chromers but this is the point of these forums right...

If it's not silver...  ;D ;)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

noxcape

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 08:54:24 PM »

the bass have being in the salmon river for years and years there is no turning them back now ,  i really think its time people jsut start to enjoy them

azafai

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:02:30 AM »

places that have to capitalize on bass don't have kind of salmon resources and others that we have in BC.
why we should compromise on that??
I think it is not worth it.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »

I'd love to fish for bass, never had the pleasure. But not at the expense of our native fish species.
Don't get me wrong, I'll probably spend some summer days fishing those waters but would never want to see someone purposely transplant these fish into native waters.

I do know that our local authorities do have some programs in place to try and control this invasive issue but I wouldnt be surprised if it was very limited. It all comes down to government funding and let's face it the government doesnt seem to consider our fisheries to be very high on their priority scale.
Perhaps someone on this site has information on how to get involved with this issues or any information

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:26:29 AM »

--how about some serious research on where and when to establish bass as a fishery.
--we have lots of natural and artificial lakes which have no outlet or have an outlet that flows into irrigation systems.
--some of these shallow lakes would require aerator in order for trout to survive and often water temperatures rise to a point where most cold water fishes are not comfortable.

--why not have a controlled fishery where people can get this experience, especially useful in some of the urban man made pools such as on golf courses parks or other private land fisheries.
--Cost effective as a small transplant of bass if catch and release would have a sustained population without further intervention.. ie yearly transplant of catchables.

--I fish Skaha where Bass were introduced by MOE in mid 1980's and they coexist with the native species. These bass provide an alternative especially in the warmer summer months however the lake produces good sized rainbows and kokanee. The lake is also a candidate for reintroduction of sockeye.

--There are some systems and areas where bass would offer a good alternative or provide a new primary fishery.

noxcape

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 12:37:12 PM »

there was a study done last year at silvermere where they took i think a hundered bass or something from there and did a stomach content check and they only found one fish with what they thought might be a trout or a salmon all the other fish had other bass or frogs in there stomachs

im gonna try to find this report and post it because i really think its time that people know the realy truth about bass

fyi i am not condoning illegal stocking of bass yes i love to bass fish but i wold never do or condone someone do that

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »

there was a study done last year at silvermere where they took i think a hundered bass or something from there and did a stomach content check and they only found one fish with what they thought might be a trout or a salmon all the other fish had other bass or frogs in there stomachs

bcguy

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »

I'm all for bass as an alternative, but believe we do need to support our own native species first and foremost.
Could be wrong, but one of the reasons bass is so popular in the US is because thats all the enviroment will/can sustain in many parts of the country. If you look at the North Western States, Washington, Oregon, its still all about the salmon, trout, and Steelhead.

jimmywits

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »

im gonna try to find this report and post it because i really think its time that people know the realy truth about bass

fyi i am not condoning illegal stocking of bass yes i love to bass fish but i wold never do or condone someone do that
Bass and Trout have co-existed for many decades in St Mary's Lake on Salt Spring Island, I know my parents moved onto lake front property back in 1985, and I have caught beautful fish of both species ever since. If I am not mistaken the bass were put in there in the early 1900's.

noxcape

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:36:35 PM »

jimmy you are right on that

ther are other lakes like that throu out bc :
skaha
ossoyoos
vaseax
christina
shawingan

and ossoyoos even was open for sockeye fishing this year what does that tell you

i know on st marys ive caught smallies cast back to the same spot and caught a trout

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »

and ossoyoos even was open for sockeye fishing this year what does that tell you 

Absolutely nothing. Virtually everywhere connected to the Fraser was loaded with sockeye. That is the same illogical thinking as those that say that 1 good sockeye year means that fish farms have no effect on wild salmon.  There has not been enough studies to conclude that bass don't effect sockeye.The fact is an ecosystem is made up of thousands of species and just because a few species can coexist unnaturally, it does not mean all will. Don't think of just one species that might survive, instead think of the many many more that might not survive, and keep in mind just because it works for 1 lake does not mean it will work for others, many factors come into play. I have worked with a highly endangered species of frog and can tell you if bass were introduced to the area, this species would cease to exist.  The truth is bass are voracious predators and can detrimentally harm an ecosystem.  Some places like Molson Lake it works, but introduce it to a lot of others and say goodbye to a lot of animals. This species should be treated with careful and logical thinking and should not spread all over our province. Besides if you think of dollar values, what would bring in more money to this province, our world class trout and salmon fishing that brings in tourists from all over the globe or bass which have huge fisheries in the states and eastern Canada. I do not know of anyone that has paid thousands of dollars or travelled thousands of km to fish bass (not saying it doesn't happen) but i see a lot of people and have heard of lots that will pay top dollar and travel from anywhere to fish for our province's world class trout and salmon fisheries.  I fail to see how our province could capitalize much more than it already has on the bass industry.

fishgutz63

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »

Elephants are a big money maker too, maybe we should release some of them so we can capitalize on them too  ::) ::) ;D.  Bass have their purpose and I have no problem with bass in places where they cannot escape however; they are an invasive species and can be highly destructive to an ecosystem. Just because something makes money does not make it right to capitalize on it depending on the situation.
so i guess this would apply to all the fish farms too eh' all that lice ' just because something makes money does not make it right to capitilize on it depending on the situation'i think y'all should be worried more about the lice problems on this coastal fish farms than bass.  ??? :o