Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass, and flooding  (Read 18981 times)

noxcape

Re: Bass, and flooding
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »

i never said to introduce bass into other place

i think they are fine where they are everything is working fine where they are at right now

and i for one dont think that one good sockeye year means everything is good

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 09:26:19 PM »

--I don't believe anyone is advocating for the introduction of Bass to every lake and river in BC.
--Osoyoos, Vaseau, Skaha and Christina all drain into the Columbia which has Bass throughout the system.

--I'm suggesting that these lakes would be good candidates to study and possibly enhance the fishery.
--I don't know what we would find as there is little if any research being done.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:57 PM »

Actually both are a problem fishgutz, the province has had to kill off many lakes due to the intro of introduced species. This costs all license holders as it costs money to conduct these "culls" and takes away from possible great fisheries.

Nox your reply implicated that because bass are in osoyoos, and it was open for sockeye that they coexist without issue, what else did you mean by
and ossoyoos even was open for sockeye fishing this year what does that tell you

i know on st marys ive caught smallies cast back to the same spot and caught a trout
  ? which is why I replied it tells nothing, cause it doesn't.

Skaha I never said anyone is advocating bass to every lake and river, did I ? I said "This species should be treated with careful and logical thinking" My opinion is that it "should not spread all over our province" and I pointed out that it is a voracious predator. Those lakes could be good candidates for study but like i said, just cause it works in 1 lake does not mean it will at others, there are many cases where it has hurt the area, like in the kooteneys, which is why there is a ban on them. hence "This species should be treated with careful and logical thinking".

"i really think its time that people know the really truth about bass "- truth is they are a predator and should be treated with cautious thinking. When you introduce a nonnative species there is a lot more at stake than just looking at a species of fish it effects, Bass will eat almost anything they can fit in their mouths including amphibians, birds, small mammals etc. The truth is they are not harmless. A lot of people fail to realize how something as simple as introducing a fish to an area can effect an entire ecosystem. Molson works cause it was a gravel pit in Abbotsford and there was no endangered/threatened species in the area and is used as a swimming hole.

work2fish

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:38 PM »

there was a study done last year at silvermere where they took i think a hundered bass or something from there and did a stomach content check and they only found one fish with what they thought might be a trout or a salmon all the other fish had other bass or frogs in there stomachs

im gonna try to find this report and post it because i really think its time that people know the realy truth about bass

fyi i am not condoning illegal stocking of bass yes i love to bass fish but i wold never do or condone someone do that
I'm from back east where I grew up watching bass get transfered to areas they never were.  It may have been coincidental, but both my father and grandfather also noticed the same trend, where ever bass were introduced into previously purely trout only habitats, the trout populations were eventually over run, and decimated.  It's easy to think it's the bass eating everything in sight just by watching how voracious they tend to be, but that's not the issue.  It's not that the bass are preying on juvinille fish, it's that they out-reproduce the natural fish species having up to 500,000 eggs per bass vs the trouts 500- a few thousand, and thier offsprings using the same limited resources the trout would use to mature.  It's simply that they outproduce the competition for the available resources, so if the resources are abundant they can co-exist fine, it's when resources are limited that you run into issues, which unfortunatly happens the majority of the time.

The main issue I have with them, is that it's too easy for some idiot to transfer a few small fish to thier favorite lake, and it would only take one spawning pair to quickly mess up any closed system.  

As someone who grew up around the great lakes, and listened to the stories of my grandfather and father of what fishing used to be like, I sincerly hope that doesn't happen here, and that system should not be used as a model of good co-existance. It has been a model of how man can influence and destroy fisheries by tampering with nature.

There is already a choice for lakes that experience winterkill where rainbow trout are not a good species - it''s called Brook trout. It's the reason they were originally introduced into many of the interior lakes, and is a species that is known to co-exist with our native trout population.

As for studies that show the negative effects of Bass on trout populations here's one small exerpt:
Use of the littoral zone in lakes by fish species varies seasonally (Geiwick and Matthews 1990), and can depend on the presence or absence of
forage (Hall and Werner 1977), life history stage (Werner ec at. 1983a), and trophic position (Werner et al. 1983b). Native fish species within the littoral
zone in most lakes appear to have co-evolved to reduce competition for food and space resources (e.g.. Seehausen and Bouton 1997). Non-native fish
species, because of a lack of co-adaptation, can directly compete for food and space, disrupt native fish species distribution and cause shifts in resource
partitioning (Moyle et at. 1986).
The effect,s of introduced fish have been documented in North America and throughout the world (Courtenay and Kohler 1986, Moyle et at. 1986).
Non-native fish species have been shown to compete for limited resources including food and habitat (e.g., Larson and Moore 1985). be predators of
native species (e.g., Crowder 1980), transmit disease (e.g., Goede 1986), alter habitat (e.g., Forester and Lawrence 1978), and hybridize with native fish
species (Krueger and May 1991).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:51:51 PM by work2fish »

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:49:47 AM »

i am sorry if i offended anybody, i will make sure it never happens again... take it easy
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »

Tight who did you offend? the whole point of these posts  and forums is to discuss subjects and offer advise/experience and to educate. I would say that is being done here. The only problem that comes from discussions is that people tend to take things personally as it is hard to read emotiotional intent on a screen, also people have a tendency to ignore facts to further a cause they approve of, not saying either is happoening here but thats usually why subjects get taken out of hand.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 12:17:12 PM »

--for sure all for free discussion... only offence I take is from all con or all pro discussion.
--with limited space sometimes I only put one point of view in until prompted for more.
--I appreciate information on opposing views... especially when they include references to studies or reports. If they look interesting I try to read them.

--Overall of concern to me is the lack of credible research data.
--I have big hopes for Skaha lk as Okanagan Native Alliance has a proposal to reintroduce sockeye....(I'm not saying this is good or bad). As noted Sockeye now returning to Osoyoos and knocking at the gates to get into Skaha.
--as a result several studies and research projects have been initiated and funded to study Skaha.

--One local fishing club has already provided 450+ volunteer hrs to one of the projects studying kokanee

--Skaha has in the past had... whitefish and small mouth bass introduced... the big issues (for me) is that there has been little follow up monitoring of the affects of these introductions... I would hope with the increased focus on this lake as a result of the sockeye initiative that we can access some valuable data on these and other species in the lake.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »

my post have been deleted, thats why i apologize...

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »

my post have been deleted, thats why i apologize...
Love when that happens. ;D
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 01:45:38 AM »

After reading this thread, I looked up the daily limit for bass and it is 4 per day for region 2.
(I had no idea as I have not fished for them)
In comparison, trout is 4, whitefish 15, crappie 20.
If bass is an invasive species, which is probably true, why do we have limits on them?
Wouldn't it be better to remove the limit or increase it significantly, so they could be more actively fished out of the system?

I know that in some other countries where bass were accidentally introduced,
there were government rewards (bounty) for turning in bass so they could be removed from the system.

I am just curious what is the current thinking behind fisheries policy makers on this issue.
By looking at the daily limit only, they are equally protected with our trout, at least at the lake level.
Or am I missing the point here?

speycaster

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »

Bass are easy to catch especially the small ones, just get a few quill floats, small hooks and some worms. You can fertilize the water you take them from. Lots of crawling underwater bugs will thank you. ;D ;D

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 10:46:46 AM »

Some of you guys should try bass fishing at least once. i did and it was pretty fun what's the worst that can happen, have a good time and kill some bass. See you are the solution to your own problem. ;)

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »

Some of you guys should try bass fishing at least once. i did and it was pretty fun what's the worst that can happen, have a good time and kill some bass. See you are the solution to your own problem. ;)

don't get crazy with the cheese whiz...  catch and release

noxcape

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »

k.c what do you mean kill some bass i bet ty would love to be our age and catch some bass out here everyone killed every thing they wouldnt have much left to catch when they get older

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »

k.c what do you mean kill some bass i bet ty would love to be our age and catch some bass out here everyone killed every thing they wouldnt have much left to catch when they get older

It would be pretty sad if all thats left for our future generations is bass.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family