Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If you fish for sockeye, this is a MUST READ  (Read 31664 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: If you fish for sockeye, this is a MUST READ
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »

Some uplifting lunchtime reading.

The Fraser River might be closed for sockeye salmon retention now, it remains opened for chinook and chum salmon retention. Don't haul in your "big chinook" until you are really sure it is one.

lovetofish

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2010, 02:21:37 PM »

The Fraser River might be closed for sockeye salmon retention now, it remains opened for chinook and chum salmon retention. Don't haul in your "big chinook" until you are really sure it is one.

Rodney, If I read the DFO notice correctly, the Fraser river above the Jesperson area markers to at least the Hope bridge is closed to salmon fishing. Not just sockeye.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »

you're right. I generalized the information a bit. Only some sections of the Fraser River remain open for chinook and chum salmon retention while some sections are closed to salmon fishing completely.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »

So the last time you participated was during the last big opening and you want all the current flossers to hand these out? C'mon now.

Its up to the individual to know the difference. Their are no excuses for not being able to identify a fish. If you cant or are unsure just let it go its as simple as that. I would not waste my time trying to educate these people as I have more important things to do. Like work, spend time with my kids etc etc.

As per usual you manage to get half the message.  ::)

Not sure why you bring it up but yes the last time I was out there was 06. Now that you mention it, I used to spend nearly as much time releasing fish for the people 'going for a spring' as I would fishing for myself. I just couldn't stand and watch in good conscience. Once again, I'm not sure why my past participation has to do with me wanting the sockeye apologists to take efforts to improve the behavior of this fisheries participants.

I guess you think you are the only person with important things to do. Well so does everyone. I just happen to care about the state of our local fisheries and am concerned about their moral decay. And because I know you are going to ask, yes I spend large amounts of my time and money giving back to the sport I love. I just don't go on the internet tooting my own horn about how I spend four hours a year picking up garbage.

Actions speak louder than words.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »

As per usual you manage to get half the message.  ::)

Not sure why you bring it up but yes the last time I was out there was 06. Now that you mention it, I used to spend nearly as much time releasing fish for the people 'going for a spring' as I would fishing for myself. I just couldn't stand and watch in good conscience. Once again, I'm not sure why my past participation has to do with me wanting the sockeye apologists to take efforts to improve the behavior of this fisheries participants.

I guess you think you are the only person with important things to do. Well so does everyone. I just happen to care about the state of our local fisheries and am concerned about their moral decay. And because I know you are going to ask, yes I spend large amounts of my time and money giving back to the sport I love. I just don't go on the internet tooting my own horn about how I spend four hours a year picking up garbage.

Being defensive I see. I wont get into the things you mentioned as they are irrelevant to this topic

I like your thinking but seriously people need to be accountable. Their is just no excuse for not being able to identify a fish. Its not our job as recreational fisher people. I fish for enjoyment and educating people who should know better is not my idea of fun.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:05:38 PM by bbronswyk2000 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2010, 12:41:44 AM »

Being defensive I see. I wont get into the things you mentioned as they are irrelevant to this topic

I like your thinking but seriously people need to be accountable. Their is just no excuse for not being able to identify a fish. Its not our job as recreational fisher people. I fish for enjoyment and educating people who should know better is not my idea of fun.

I agree, not much fun when I'm out there to enjoy myself, although I would still do it.

Just an idea here,

First time license holders are required at all times ,when angling, to have in their possession an up to date FISHING REGULATIONS SYNOPSIS BOOKLET, where they can identify their catch if needed by looking at the centerfold " FRESHWATER FISH OF BC " where they have the pictures and descriptions of all BC sports fish.

I don't know how far back the records go or if they even keep them, but hypothetically speaking,when buying your new license, if you show your license from the previous year, your exempt, if not your license is stamped with an " N " like a new driver so to speak.Online buyers would have to type in their previous license number to be exempt also.  When asked by a CO for your license and your an " N " or NEWBIE say, you must possess the regs, if not your fined. It has to start somewhere , maybe this idea could be reviewed, evaluated etc. etc. and the ball would start rolling in the right direction.   Just an idea...any thoughts ???

Fish Slayer

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »

Nothing like having someone stand over a fish that has been dragged up on the beach as they flip through a book trying to figure out a species  ::)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »

Ok,good point, it was just an idea  :P How about leader restrictions in the rivers, 36" maximum ??

koko

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »

To retrict the leader lenth, hope good run would not be ruin is not a bad idea. but it won't stop some of the top flosser at fish travel lane with a 12" leader.

burnaby

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »

Thank goodness sockeye is closed and for that matter most Fraser salmon fishing. Being a good run, hope everyone had fun. Tine to rest up in prep for the Vedder.

HAND :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »

That makes me wanna puke  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »

Wow...shows you how clueless the average fraser river fisherman is....guy even has pics on his FB page showcasing what must be a dead thompson river steelhead.  that indeed exemplifies the reason this fishery needs to change or even shut right down.  Disgusting.  :-X

koko

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2010, 08:58:44 PM »

For one dead Thompson river steelhead to shut down millions of dollars to bring to B.C. I don't think so. for ones who really care, try to be nice to educate the newbie.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »

For one dead Thompson river steelhead to shut down millions of dollars to bring to B.C. I don't think so. for ones who really care, try to be nice to educate the newbie.

This statement is very discouraging. Who really cares ?? ::) I for one, know a my smelly socks load of guys and gals that do. Do you know how bad the #'s are for the Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead ??? let alone the coho ::) As for educating the NEWBIE, I better leave that one alone  :-X ::) ::) ;D

Maybe not close the sockeye fishery down completely , but at least shut it down a lot earlier. Do you really think people didn't get enough fish ??? Again, a sad statement to say the least IMO anyway.