Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If you fish for sockeye, this is a MUST READ  (Read 31588 times)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
Re: If you fish for sockeye, this is a MUST READ
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »

yeah its only one out of a few hundred...no big deal right? it's all for the greater good so people could fill their freezers with more sockeye that will end up freezer burnt.... what a hero

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »

for ones who really care, try to be nice to educate the newbie.

For ones who enjoy the fishery, try to initiate educational projects and demonstrate that negative impacts can in fact be reduced.

One dead Thompson River steelhead out of several hundreds per year's run equates to a significant loss in genetic diversity.

It is also in sockeye fishery proponents' best interest to start something now, because the day when stocks such as the Thompson River steelhead make the SARA listing, all fisheries taking place during their run timings will cease to take place, regardless how many million dollars they may generate.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »

For one dead Thompson river steelhead to shut down millions of dollars to bring to B.C. I don't think so. for ones who really care, try to be nice to educate the newbie.

Folks, I think he meant that the gov't will never bow down when the money is there, not that he thinks we should keep the fishery open.  Don't attack the guy until you know for sure.

koko

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »

Folks, I think he meant that the gov't will never bow down when the money is there, not that he thinks we should keep the fishery open.  Don't attack the guy until you know for sure.
Thanks, look at the total picture.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »

It's the people inside the " SMALL FRAME " that don't see the " BIG PICTURE ". Remember, it's supposed to be about the FISH, as in the one dead Thompson steelhead and the many more coho and steelhead we haven't seen poached or killed mistakenly, let alone what the nets do. Education is only for people who WANT to learn, I'd say the percentage don't really give a damn, as long as they get what their after. Nobody will ever change that, but at least an earlier closure would help out some anyway. It's to bad we're just grains in the sand, and are opinions on the welfare of the stocks really don't have much pull, or so it seems.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »

In the regulations they should have a penalty page with pictures of the loser. Also amount of a fine/truck confiscated etc. Worksafe style. Then everyone could identify the culprit for further penalties.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Justin

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »

I've seen a few Coho bonked on the river this year and people don't have a clue.  I'm glad this fishery is finally over. 

Many great suggestion have been made throughout this post. I like the idea of having a test for the liscense or increase the cost of the liscense during sockey season to pay for DFO officers to sit on every bar and "Regulate"

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2010, 07:34:08 PM »

BEEKO BE GONE!!!! I hope tubby can swim because if I see him on the river this fall hes going for a swim.