Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: little campbell and serpintine river  (Read 22992 times)

andrew5

little campbell and serpintine river
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »

Hi all,

I live on the Surrey/Delta border. I am about eight months into my born again fishing hobby, and am looking for areas I can try close to home that are a little closer than squamish/chilliwack to try. I have heard about the little campbell and serpentine rivers in Surrey/White rock, but have yet to attempt them, mainly due to lack of knowledge.

I am not asking for anyone's favorite spots, just what areas I can access them from and find my own favorite spots. Any help here would really help me get out and discover these rivers.

Also, is this river open to walking and wading with a fly rod, or is it mostly shore access only?

Finally, what is in that river? Cutthroat? Bows? Bulls even? I know it is a salmon stream too, so when might the next salmon run be on them?

I know I have lots of questions here, but I am really eager to get out and try these rivers out, especially since the Olympics are over now!

Thanks in advance.

Davidp

Re: little campbell and serpintine river
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »

hey... i also live on the border of delta and surrey and have tryed the serpentine river,, at the bridge crossing going to white rock.. unfortuntly had no luk... BUT!!! i have seen ppl pull out decent size trout and the odd coho...

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »

these small systems will get a lot of attention good and bad... best thing to do is go and explore and keep that hook in the water... fish around in all three local streams find em and release them as soon as possible... take it easy and tight lines
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »

Well not exactly the answer to the question you asked but you could always try the Fraser River.  Close to home and there's fish to be had. 

andrew5

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 02:53:44 PM »

Well not exactly the answer to the question you asked but you could always try the Fraser River.  Close to home and there's fish to be had. 

I was thinking this too, but the same thing applies... it's such a big river that I don't even know where to begin. I have spin casting gear and a 6 wt fly rod. I hear that the cutthroat fisihg is good, so I would love to have a few specific destinations to try out. It really helps try a new river if you have an idea of where to start.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »

You should be able to find access with some exploring.
Look at the regulations and look for any closed seasons or areas.
Check out google earth or even street maps of the area.
I think a lot of the fun is just doing the exploring and once in a while you get lucky.
Is pretty hard to give you access spots and not give up our secret spots.

andrew5

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »

You should be able to find access with some exploring.
Look at the regulations and look for any closed seasons or areas.
Check out google earth or even street maps of the area.
I think a lot of the fun is just doing the exploring and once in a while you get lucky.
Is pretty hard to give you access spots and not give up our secret spots.

yess good point. What about the main parks though, I am sure those aren't secret, but just want to konw if there are fishing opportunities there.

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »

You can always try fishing around the mouths of these rivers for cutties in the ocean. I've never tried this with the serpentine but have caught a couple around the little campbell's mouth. This type of fishing requires patience however, it's much like steelheading. You might take several trips to get into fish on these small systems. Another place to try that is similar to these rivers is the nicomekl. Just a heads up though, these rivers are usually closed at the end of march.

speycaster

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 08:37:07 AM »

If you go wandering around the mouth of the serpentine, we just might have a few less fishermen to crowd other waters. ;D ;D Out beyond the dikes CAN get interesting in a hurry. ;D

yamadirt 426

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »

If you go wandering around the mouth of the serpentine, we just might have a few less fishermen to crowd other waters. ;D ;D Out beyond the dikes CAN get interesting in a hurry. ;D
ya some kid tried to cross last year i think. stuck in the mud and had to call for help. Take a boat !!

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »

Is there a tidal boundary ? Is a tidal license required for Serpentine ? Have a friend who lives very close to the Serpentine and wants to take his boy down there.Thanks

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »

mikeyman

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »

Little cambell golf course. Mud hole and above. Meadows down river a bit. Wool no weight just a swivel. Or i use a little red and white bobber. Roe. Dew worms. Or spinner. Also a deep spot right at the mouth. Nicklemackle. I like 184 and down. Blue fox spinners. Coho. Dew worms cutties. Serp. Havent fished as much. See people fishing below king george. Or also up off 64th.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:40:42 PM by mikeyman »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »

Thanks guys