Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: little campbell and serpintine river  (Read 22994 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: little campbell and serpintine river
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 12:37:30 PM »

Go try is all that can be said at this point I guess.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 01:53:11 PM »

If you found a suitable place or have private access to launch and pull-out then go for it. A 4-wheeler with a winch would be nice to slide the jon back out with.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »

I've seen guys in car toppers on the Nik around the golf course area (where they park the boats) do well.  I've only ever fished from shore with a fly
and that's not easy with the dyke.  Spoons and spinners seem to be the most effective.  Very frustrating river... I could never nail down a bite aside from
first light.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 08:05:58 PM »

Reminder to pay attention to the no fishing/casting to within 30 meters of the dyke on the Nickomekl.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »

I've seen guys in car toppers on the Nik around the golf course area (where they park the boats) do well. I've only ever fished from shore with a fly
and that's not easy with the dyke.  Spoons and spinners seem to be the most effective.  Very frustrating river..
. I could never nail down a bite aside from
first light.

A longer rod helps, as does using the steeple cast. If possible don't cast directly back at the dyke. In many places on the river a cast of 30 feet or less is all you need. Coho will often hold right against the bank so casts directly downstream or up are possible when fish hold against the near bank.

As far as fly versus spinner etc. No doubt spinners and spoons are effective. However I often carry 2 rods, fly & spinning and sometimes I will have a coho chase a spinner to my feet, refuse it on a following cast or two but take a fly immediately once I switch.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »

sometimes I will have a coho chase a spinner to my feet, refuse it on a following cast or two but take a fly immediately once I switch.

That advice/observation is gold, Ralph....regardless of what system you are talking about.

One of my deficiencies as an angler (of which there are many!) is getting stuck in a rut. " It worked yesterday, it will work today I just need to give it time" or "He struck at the lure; if I keep casting the same lure he'll strike at it again" I forget to mix it up, or I get lazy. Good reminder.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »

That advice/observation is gold, Ralph....regardless of what system you are talking about.

One of my deficiencies as an angler (of which there are many!) is getting stuck in a rut. " It worked yesterday, it will work today I just need to give it time" or "He struck at the lure; if I keep casting the same lure he'll strike at it again" I forget to mix it up, or I get lazy. Good reminder.

I think ALL of us are guilty of doing these exact same things. I know I definitely do it
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 11:16:13 PM »

sometimes I will have a coho chase a spinner to my feet, refuse it on a following cast or two but take a fly immediately once I switch.
I also like to bring two rods for coho fishing but LOL I do just the opposite, fly first then spinners or spoons afterwards.
One of my deficiencies is believing that fresh fish will always bite so I won't change but hoping for more fish to come in and the next thing you know the sun hits the water or the spot gets crowded.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 07:29:50 AM »

I prefer the fly rod certainly but sometimes the spinning rod is what I have in my hand when a fish shows or it's just an easier cast.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »

There is no angling from power boats allowed above the tidal gates in the Nic and the Serpentine. It is in the regs. I doubt the Little C is navigable. You may have trouble getting a boat, or canoe into the Nic or Serp above the gates. Sections of the streams may be too shallow for navigation at times.

People should also be aware that such regulations are governed by the Federal Transportation Act regulations.

More likely to hit something submerged with your prop (done that). I occasionally paddle the nic by launching right by King George above Elgin road from the corner of the parking lot that's there. Nice place for a paddle and a fly rod.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 09:28:53 PM »

Back in the day, we used to do quite well for cutthroat on the Serp and Slime. Won't say where as these small streams don't need any publicity on a open forum.