Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else here a sushi/sashimi fan?  (Read 14127 times)

CohoKiller5

Anyone else here a sushi/sashimi fan?
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »

I never liked the taste of fish untill i tried it raw.  My family grew up eating cooked rainbows/salmon/cod etc for years.  The only cooked fish i genuinely liked was cod or halibut.  Red fish, (trout, salmon) just never did it for me.

Then i tried sushi.  I figured it would be the grossest thing ever, but was i surprized.  I have eaten raw fish for around 5 years now and love it!! 

My favorites is of course sockeye... and also red snapper and tuna is awesome.  Atlantic salmon wasn't as good.  I have never tried chinook or coho.  One day i want to filiet a coho right after i catch it and eat it right away.  Probably from the ocean tho as I have a place in port renfrew so i get out there quite a bit in the summer time   Also tried some of the other varities...  Octapus, eel... both very good.  The only one that i didn;t like so far is raw squid.  The texture of it was just too much for me.  I do love deep fried calimarie tho..

One of my favorites is ahi tuna lightly seared on the ouside, lightly seasoned with the middle still raw.  OMG sooooooo good.

If others out there dont like the taste of cooked fish (trout, salmon) give raw fish a try!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:45:03 PM by CohoKiller5 »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Anyone else here a sushi/sashimi fan?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »

One day i want to filiet a coho right after i catch it and eat it right away.  Probably from the ocean tho as I have a place in port renfrew so i get out there quite a bit in the summer time   If others out there dont like the taste of cooked fish (trout, salmon) give raw fish a try!

Apparently it is recommended to freeze the fish for several days before eating it raw to kill any bacteria that may be present.  http://seafooduniversity.com/?p=16

WildRod

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:50:50 AM »

I definitely love my sushi too, but have never tried making it with my catch.  Thanks for posting the note about freezing!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »

CK5  You can do the same with salmon the way Ahi is done.  It's very good.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:16:50 AM »

I'm a big fan sushi fan but I definitely won't eat it unless it is properly prepared.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »

Apparently it is recommended to freeze the fish for several days before eating it raw to kill any bacteria that may be present.  http://seafooduniversity.com/?p=16

It's not the bacteria - it's the parasites.
Do not eat any fresh fish raw unless you want a brainful of worms.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

It's not the bacteria - it's the parasites.
Do not eat any fresh fish raw unless you want a brainful of worms.

Why do people who know nothing post this kind of nonsense?

I've eaten raw Salmon and Tuna for decades with never any problems.

As to being prepared-there is no preparation involved at all apart from removing a few bones and slicing the fish-have any of you guys even sat @ a Sushi Bar and watched the Itmae work?

Why not?

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:16:14 PM »

Sam I think the freezing of flesh for Sushi IS for a good reason, as stated it kills any parasites.

Just because you have eaten said fish for years with no problem doesn't mean it's a really good idea.

Having said that when i started out on my own quest for my own sushi a few years back, I did just what you do - ate the flesh straight from the Salmon when I caught it. But I found it very tough and chewy which surprised me. I then made enquires on here and learned it's normal to freeze the fish (to a certain temp') before it's used for Sushi. Having frozen the fish I first took some flesh from, I defrosted a peice and was amazed how the flesh was just perfect texture for eating - more like sushi in restuarants - but firmer which I prefer.

Sam don't you find raw unfrozen Salmon (Chinook in my case) rather chewy?

But anyway 2 good reasons to freeze before eating - kill parasites and improve texture (IMO).

cheers,

Paul.

ps Sam if you know something I don't about parasites then please share, I'm no expert but did plenty of research before I made my own Sushi and everything I read said it should be frozen first.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:18:26 PM by Murkeywaters »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 10:17:58 AM »

Sam I think the freezing of flesh for Sushi IS for a good reason, as stated it kills any parasites.

Just because you have eaten said fish for years with no problem doesn't mean it's a really good idea.

Having said that when i started out on my own quest for my own sushi a few years back, I did just what you do - ate the flesh straight from the Salmon when I caught it. But I found it very tough and chewy which surprised me. I then made enquires on here and learned it's normal to freeze the fish (to a certain temp') before it's used for Sushi. Having frozen the fish I first took some flesh from, I defrosted a peice and was amazed how the flesh was just perfect texture for eating - more like sushi in restuarants - but firmer which I prefer.

Sam don't you find raw unfrozen Salmon (Chinook in my case) rather chewy?

But anyway 2 good reasons to freeze before eating - kill parasites and improve texture (IMO).

cheers,

Paul.

ps Sam if you know something I don't about parasites then please share, I'm no expert but did plenty of research before I made my own Sushi and everything I read said it should be frozen first.
I've researched eating Sashimi for 30+ years so my research trumps yours-my last meal was Tuesday night.

I eat right @ the Sushi Bar-right in front of the Itamae watching everything he does and how he does it (not at some table in the back where someone slaps down an order and walks away) and I've spent more hours than I can count talking with those guys about eating raw fish.

It's all about  proper handling/fish care/quality and and of course correct slicing.

Yes fish changes texture when it's frozen to my taste Sockeye is OK  frozen but Spring turns mushier, Albacore is OK frozen but Yellowfin suffers, Hamachi it depends, Prawns turn to mush, Suzuki is OK frozen and so on and so on.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »

Try bigeye tuna.  Scallop (hotate) is also  very tasty, esp. with some wasabi.

I've eaten fish straight off the hook too.  No problems here.....cod,salmon, even herring.

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »

Sam I gladly yeild to your greater knowledge!  :)

I was surprised by your comment about Springs - it was a Spring that I found VERY chewy eating it on capture - but found it softer (no way mushy) after freezing - but maybe that's just a difference in personal taste, or difference in fish for some reason.

However what about the parasite issue - I know you are fine but we get reports on here about people catching fish with tape worms and other parasites, they DO exist, I know nothing about their transfer to humans - do you know anymore specifics on this - I'd be interested to hear if you have.

From memory I think a lot of sushi places buy the fish frozen, because I'm sure I've seen frozen blocks many times in "cabinet" used to store the upcoming Sushi (often on display to the public). I eat Sushi at least once a week, so next time I'm down I'll be asking some more questions myself, I find it all very interesting - cause I love the stuff some dam much!!!

Question - can you make trout Sushi? (safely)

cheers,

Paul.

cheers,

Paul.

hoboryan

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »

I've tried it with coho before.  Granted I only ate 2-3 pieces.
I filleted the fish and put it in the fridge to cool/firm up first though.  It was decent, but was too scared to eat more.

-HR

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 09:39:15 AM »

Parasites in fish is not so much of a problem in offshore fish species.  However, when salmon starts their migration back, they are travalling near shore where contaminated water with parasites is concentrated.  These potential parasite infested water can be a result of raw sewage from human, seals, sealions.  These parasite eggs can be easiely consumed and infect human.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »

i dig sushi!
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

drivel

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »

From the Health Canada Website:

"The larvae of two anisakid roundworms, Anisakis simplex (herring worm), and Pseudoterranova decipiens (seal worm), have been implicated in the majority of cases of human anisakiasis. The infective larval stage may be found on the viscera or in the flesh of a number of commercially important fish species, including salmon, cod, herring, and mackerel, as well as squid (10.1). P. decipiens is also found in smelt and various flatfish...If eaten raw or undercooked, fresh fillets containing any anisakid roundworm larvae may be considered a health hazard. "

Luckily, anisakid infections are usually self-limiting (they get better on their own without medication).

A freeze/thaw cycle kills the larvae that are living in the flesh (and intestinal systems) of the fish.