Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple BBQ or campfire cooked Salmon  (Read 4260 times)

mustardman

Simple BBQ or campfire cooked Salmon
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »

Works best on deboned fillet but I suppose you could cook a whole fish or fish steaks this way too.

I ALWAYS cook my Sockeye this way.  Fresh or previously frozen.

Leave the skin on
All ingredients are optional from most to least important:

Sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning
put on a strip of thinly sliced butter
put on a layer of thinly sliced lemon

Wrap in 2 layers of tin foil shiny side in.  Think about the best wrapping method to keep the juices in while making it easy to open without the juice spilling all over the place.  Put on preheated propane BBQ set to high with lid closed.  4-5minutes on each side is about right for medium sized sockeye (maybe about 1" at thickest point?).  This is the best way to cook on a campfire but probably takes some practice to get the heat/rocks just right.  Let it sit for a few minutes after you take out of the BBQ as it's still cooking.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:59:02 AM by mustardman »

silverslab

Re: Simple BBQ or campfire cooked Salmon
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »

I like stuffing my whole fish with cream cheese, bread crumbs, spices, shrimp, scallops and crab meat.  Wrap the whole thing in tinfoil (4-5 wraps) and into some coals that arent too hot for about 35 - 45 minutes.  when it's done, just peel open the foil and the skin comes right off.

WildRod

Re: Simple BBQ or campfire cooked Salmon
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »

I like stuffing my whole fish with cream cheese, bread crumbs, spices, shrimp, scallops and crab meat.  Wrap the whole thing in tinfoil (4-5 wraps) and into some coals that arent too hot for about 35 - 45 minutes.  when it's done, just peel open the foil and the skin comes right off.

Now that sounds goood!