Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Do Think About Online Licensing  (Read 14289 times)

nosey

Re: What Do Think About Online Licensing
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »

A couple of years ago, one fisherman told me he had landed 56 springs that year, he didn't tell me how many were released although talking to the people fishing around him that day they  had never seen him release any, using todays methods of fishing it isn't that hard to overlimit. Online licencing will just make poaching easier and more prevelant. Everyone that fishes in BC goes into a fishing gear shop sooner or later why is it that much of an inconvienience to buy your licence there. I see one member stating that he'll print one licence up for each vest he owns, does that mean when he catches a steelhead he'll tag it out at the river then go home and tag it out on his other 4 licences too, or does that mean after tagging one out down at the canal he'll just go up to his truck and grab another licence and go fishing up at the other end of the river. I believe that anything the government does that can make poaching easier and more prevalent should be stopped immediately, something as easy to cheat on as this online licencencing system is just begging for abuse. A lot of people are aware of others that abuse the system the way it is now, why make it so easy to cheat that it doesn't even seem illegal anymore.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 08:09:15 AM »

Every regulation has a loophole. Just because a person prints out more than one copy of a licence does not mean he's going to break the law and keep more than his daily limit. If you really want to you can do the same with the licence bought from a tackle shop.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »

After reading all these posts and opinions ,which we all are entitled to, I still think the system has not been thought out enough to be put into practise yet. May be in the future there may be enough changes to make the system work, but not now.Yesterday I went to Fred`s and got my" REAL" license and tags. As long as the old system exists I will be useing that method. It is true that no matter which type of systen we have it will never be without some loop holes for the dishonest, but this new online system is just encouraging a way to bend or break the rules.

I also do not think that this new system is going to enhance the sale of licenses at all--I think that in a lot of cases the cost of the license and tags may be a factor to some people. A non tidal license,salmon tag and a steelhead tag cost me $79.80 yesterday. I am not complaining, but there may be some families that can not afford that fee along with the price of fuel--It can be a rather expensive day. Just for another example,I do not buy a license for my wife anymore. For the amount of times a year that she gets out anymore the expense is not worth it.Also, for the average angler there does not seem to be as many fish available to try and catch as there once was."Note" I said average angler.

harley

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:11 AM »

I think that in a lot of cases the cost of the license and tags may be a factor to some people. A non tidal license,salmon tag and a steelhead tag cost me $79.80 yesterday. I am not complaining, but there may be some families that can not afford that fee along with the price of fuel--It can be a rather expensive day. Just for another example,I do not buy a license for my wife anymore. For the amount of times a year that she gets out anymore the expense is not worth it.Also, for the average angler there does not seem to be as many fish available to try and catch as there once was."Note" I said average angler.

harley

$80 a year is peanuts to pay for the privilege of fishing our heavily pressured lakes, streams and ocean.  Thats less than $10 a month...IMO i'd like to see it cost MORE and see ALL of the funds channeled back into the resource in one way or another.  (Of course, with our gov't the misappropriation of funds would negate any benefit the fish might see) .. Like anything these days you have to pay to play and in this day and age, 80 bucks amortized over a year is dirt cheap.  The price of fuel is the one I feel most....but then, I chose to buy a truck.  I could have kept our fuel miser tercel and drove it to 75% of the spots I like to go to....but I am willing to pay for the convenience a truck offers.

You may be right about it being poorly planned as far as recording fish caught on multiple licenses goes....however, the people that do that are the same people that would just not record a fish until the CO was in sight anyways.  That crap will always happen regardless of what system is in place...scumbags always find a way.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2008, 11:12:05 AM »

Well i just got my licence online today. I love the convenience of it and that I can re-print if i need to, or should i say WHEN i need to (i seem to lose too many things these days or it'll get too wet).

I can see a lot more people taking advantage of the ability to re-print in that they will record a fish caught go home and print another licence. Its just a sad fact of society.

All in all I found the process of getting the licence online quite simple and easy to use. However, I don't think they should get rid of the traditional paper licence all together, just give the choice.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »

After reading this thread I too decided to renue this way...I printed 3 copies.  I have a little spinner kit that I ofter grab when I go top the cap so one licence will go in there, one will go in my vest and I'll keep one as a spare.  While the convenience seems to be good, I don't like this program as it does create a very easy system to abuse. 

People will be much more able to "double dip" on their daily limits, fill up a tag and replace, etc, etc.  The reduced cost of a paper licencing system doesn't seem to out weigh the holes I see in the program right now  :-\

If those holes could be plugged, then I see it being a good program. 

One thing I would like to see is a higher degree of accountability in terms of species recognition and regulation knowledge.  As an example, if when buying a Salmon conservation tag, you had to complete a test, ie associate the correct species name to a picture, or acknowledge blanket regs (like no barbs for any fresh water fishing in the province) then maybe we would see few cases of obvious breaking of the regs. 

While I didn't look into it, can this online service translate into a variety of different languages? 

Another issue I see is that not going to a retailer to renew your licence  means that retailer gets to stick a reg book in your hand...I personally will do a little reading online or get the updated regs so I can stay on top of any changes...will a new or "the average" fisher be that diligent... ???.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

As an example, if when buying a Salmon conservation tag, you had to complete a test, ie associate the correct species name to a picture, or acknowledge blanket regs (like no barbs for any fresh water fishing in the province) then maybe we would see few cases of obvious breaking of the regs. 

As a starter I would suggest having DFO take the test. They don't seem to know the difference between a pink and a steelhead. :D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »

As an example, if when buying a Salmon conservation tag, you had to complete a test, ie associate the correct species name to a picture, or acknowledge blanket regs (like no barbs for any fresh water fishing in the province) then maybe we would see few cases of obvious breaking of the regs. 

As a starter I would suggest having DFO take the test. They don't seem to know the difference between a pink and a steelhead. :D

And some do not even know what you can and can not retain in certain systems as there was one on the Allouette saying you could retain chum when in fact there is no retention. He even tried to argue the fact and would only listen after someone placed a phone call to the office.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »

I think that in a lot of cases the cost of the license and tags may be a factor to some people. A non tidal license,salmon tag and a steelhead tag cost me $79.80 yesterday. I am not complaining, but there may be some families that can not afford that fee along with the price of fuel--It can be a rather expensive day. Just for another example,I do not buy a license for my wife anymore. For the amount of times a year that she gets out anymore the expense is not worth it.Also, for the average angler there does not seem to be as many fish available to try and catch as there once was."Note" I said average angler.

harley

$80 a year is peanuts to pay for the privilege of fishing our heavily pressured lakes, streams and ocean.  Thats less than $10 a month...IMO i'd like to see it cost MORE and see ALL of the funds channeled back into the resource in one way or another.  (Of course, with our gov't the misappropriation of funds would negate any benefit the fish might see) .. Like anything these days you have to pay to play and in this day and age, 80 bucks amortized over a year is dirt cheap.  The price of fuel is the one I feel most....but then, I chose to buy a truck.  I could have kept our fuel miser tercel and drove it to 75% of the spots I like to go to....but I am willing to pay for the convenience a truck offers.

You may be right about it being poorly planned as far as recording fish caught on multiple licenses goes....however, the people that do that are the same people that would just not record a fish until the CO was in sight anyways.  That crap will always happen regardless of what system is in place...scumbags always find a way.

Good Day marmot:
As I have stated before we are all entitled to our own opinion--First of all this $80.00 license as you put it does not make it legal to fish in the ocean--as far as I know that is a totally different license and another new fee. I also do not mind paying the license fee either or I would simply not pay it. There has to be some reasons why the sale of licenses are down. I sure that you have some thoughts on this subject. Please share.

harley

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2008, 04:48:31 PM »

harley

Good Day marmot:
As I have stated before we are all entitled to our own opinion--First of all this $80.00 license as you put it does not make it legal to fish in the ocean--as far as I know that is a totally different license and another new fee. I also do not mind paying the license fee either or I would simply not pay it. There has to be some reasons why the sale of licenses are down. I sure that you have some thoughts on this subject. Please share.

harley

True, of course for salt fishing you need a sep. license.  Still peanuts I think...as long as the revenue is being used responsibly.
I do have some thoughts on the subject of why license sales are down, and you eluded to it in an earlier post....kids are more interested in videogames and TV because their parents aren't spending enough time with them...and not just in the big cities.  People have to work more, and have less time off to consider fishing let alone get their kids involved.  I consider it high priority to give my children an appreciation for the outdoors...it is all we have left thats real IMO. 

Gooey I suggested the idea you mentioned in another post a couple days ago, something similar to the CORE education for hunting (more than just a test),....but its incredible to me that some people are arguing against it....

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2008, 05:05:06 PM »

The only solution is stiff penalties, nothing else.
Licenses cost but the cost of losing all our fish is definitely higher.
We should just make sure we are getting our money's worth.

patagonia

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »

I just picked up my new licence today at high water tackle... very painless... didnt even need a credit card. You can actually go to the web site and print new ones of when needed... not a bad system.. just new

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2008, 10:23:57 AM »

btw

the date box when you register is crazy.... i mean it starts off with the current date april 2008 but you ahve to be at least 16 years old to have a license ?

does it make sense ?

oh well its just a small suggestion
hardware == fish