Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Do Think About Online Licensing  (Read 14288 times)

HARLEY

• flyfishing
Re: What Do Think About Online Licensing
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »

I think that it is great that some people have such faith in our ministry and that some think that someone there really cares about what we think--as a old retired angler I am sorry but I do not share the faith--I think the idea is great though--does anyone have anyone in mind that we as anglers could send our questions or thoughts to that may give us a reply, other than a general address-- I wonder if the remarks from us would just go into general revenue like our money goes into.I am not a negative person--I just rarely see any results.I realize that this statement leaves me totally open to remarks--but--one thing I think that we still have left so far is freedom of speech and remarks.Some may not like them--but we are still entitled to them--aren`t we?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 04:41:03 PM by HARLEY »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 05:59:11 PM »

Absolutely. My original suggestion was not an intention to discourage people providing feedbacks publicly. The advantage of discussions such as this allow opinions being expressed and many times participants learn from others' view point. The disadvantage is that often good points are never delivered beyond these webpages so they are not put to use. That's why I always encourage users to express the same thoughts to those who manage the resource so actions can be taken.

Process is indeed slow and frustrating at times when it involves government agencies, but I think people seem to underestimate how much is being done behind the scene. To make these processes more transparent to the public, those who are voluntarily involved in the consultation processes with the government often post the progress on discussion forums like this one. Keep in mind that not everything can be posted to prevent misinformation overtime, but we do our best to make it available immediately when it can be.

Many resource managing staff, both provincial and federal, also browse through these pages because many of them also fish. I can't provide specific email contact to individual staff, mostly for privacy reasons. Anyone can access these pages so most of the time I will only be able to provide a generic contact.

I hope that clarifies a few things. :)

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »

Absolutely. My original suggestion was not an intention to discourage people providing feedbacks publicly. The advantage of discussions such as this allow opinions being expressed and many times participants learn from others' view point. The disadvantage is that often good points are never delivered beyond these webpages so they are not put to use. That's why I always encourage users to express the same thoughts to those who manage the resource so actions can be taken.

Process is indeed slow and frustrating at times when it involves government agencies, but I think people seem to underestimate how much is being done behind the scene. To make these processes more transparent to the public, those who are voluntarily involved in the consultation processes with the government often post the progress on discussion forums like this one. Keep in mind that not everything can be posted to prevent misinformation overtime, but we do our best to make it available immediately when it can be.

Many resource managing staff, both provincial and federal, also browse through these pages because many of them also fish. I can't provide specific email contact to individual staff, mostly for privacy reasons. Anyone can access these pages so most of the time I will only be able to provide a generic contact.

I hope that clarifies a few things. :)

Very Well Stated Rodney----But--I do have a direct question for you--Is the online program for obtaining licenses a good thing or not--This question can be only answered with a yes or no.I hope that this also will clarify my basic original wonderings because I for one am very undeceided and I tend to say that it is not a good thing.I can not really express any more reasons than I have already stated,I just do not like the idea.As far as writing my thoughts or ideas to a common address, I will not do it.I would want a name and a reply.I will not waste my time writing to a agencie that quite likely will not even reply to me.These is just my thoughts, but I have been fishing the lower mainland all my life and buying fishing licenses and hunting licenses every year and I am going to be 64 in August, and there are many things that do not seem to be changeing other than than the slope of the down hill slide.It seems that you may have more faith than me.Privacy reasons mean nothing to me as I have nothing to hide.If we in fact have people in the resource staff that we are paying the wages for, and do not want to be adressed, maybe they should find another type of work.After all has been said and done, I am a tax payer and help to pay their wages,and I doubt that there are to many of them making minimum wage.
Just My Thoughts,

harley

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »

Why should I need a Credit Card to fish? I don't plan on getting a credit card any time soon and the government doesn't seem too concerned with printing out surcharge stamps so what am I to do? Poach?

I can't see them getting rid of paper licenses entirely for that reason....also, you'd have to own a computer to fish too.....I can't see it happening anytime soon. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 10:01:03 PM »

Why should I need a Credit Card to fish? I don't plan on getting a credit card any time soon and the government doesn't seem too concerned with printing out surcharge stamps so what am I to do? Poach?

I can't see them getting rid of paper licenses entirely for that reason....also, you'd have to own a computer to fish too.....I can't see it happening anytime soon. 

Apparently they will be setting up terminals in some shops on a trial basis. I believe they have set one up on the island but I have no idea where the others are.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »

If online requires you to have a credit card to purchase the license, it discriminates and is not fair to people who don't have them. The price of the license has only gone up, so I would suppose somewhere in the price of the license was the cost to distribute them.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »

When you're old enough to drive you'll need a credit card-maybe your parents can sign something for you. ::)

If online requires you to have a credit card to purchase the license, it discriminates and is not fair to people who don't have them. The price of the license has only gone up, so I would suppose somewhere in the price of the license was the cost to distribute them.
That's a stretch-credit cards are an every day fact of life in this society and no one can seriously claim discrimination because they are refused a car rental or ferry reservation or hotel room because they are too slack assed to sign up.

Even if you're too young or a deadbeat you can get the kind that allow you to load them up with a couple hundred bucks-can't rent a car with those but they are usually OK for small purchases/reservations.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:30:17 PM by Sam Salmon »

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »

at this point i think on line licensing is not a bad thing as long as they don't do away with the over the counter paper license or make sure all retailers have a terminal in store to sell licenses ,from what i have been told on line licensing is being done to make it easier for people to purchase them ,if so then they should be made available at all existing outlets and cash as well as credit and interact cards should all be acceptable methods of payment.i do have many questions on how the system is going to work and when they inevitably do get answered i may like the new system,but then again depending on the answers i may not like it at all,time will tell.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 10:33:31 PM »

...from what i have been told on line licensing is being done to make it easier for people to purchase them ,

Not at all true, the Govt does this to reduce their costs-pushing paper costs money-a lot more money than a smoothly functioning Internet purchasing system.

The idea of an in store terminal defeats this and is dumb as a bag of hammers IMO.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 10:53:50 PM »

yes you are right part of the reason is to reduce cost on paper,but to my understanding ,and this is coming from the source that the freshwaters fishery society  lead by Brian Chan had allot to do with the new licensing system being implemented.as far as in store terminals,yes installing them originally will be costly,but in the long run they will pay for themselves,especially if license sales do increase,which by the way is the mandate of the freshwater society,the main question is where would the money come from to set up these terminals,easy access to everyone and the hope to increase sales is what is driving the freshwater society in this manner due to the fact that all money from freshwater licenses goes directly to the freshwater fishery society to enhance existing and develop new fishing opportunities,as for what motivates the gov ,does anyone really ever know.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

jbarns

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »

I think its a great system; quick to fill out and I can print off a couple of copies for my different vests.

salmon river

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 01:22:41 AM »

When you're old enough to drive you'll need a credit card-maybe your parents can sign something for you. ::)

That's a stretch-credit cards are an every day fact of life in this society and no one can seriously claim discrimination because they are refused a car rental or ferry reservation or hotel room because they are too slack assed to sign up.

Even if you're too young or a deadbeat you can get the kind that allow you to load them up with a couple hundred bucks-can't rent a car with those but they are usually OK for small purchases/reservations.

Well I am 41 never had a credit card due to the fact the criminal interest the charge and the temptation to get something I don't really need, still able to get a mortgage, vehicle loan and function quite well without them, unlike many people I know up to their ying yang in debt because they can not handle these things and unlike myself, they have no money in the bank, will never get a car or home loan because they have to much credit card debt and numerous cards.

Maybe if retailers got more of a cut from license sales more places would sell them. Other than the two Wal Marts in Surrey, who else sells them? Canadian Tire stopped about 3 or 4 years back.

I can and have functioned in life quite nicely without those scourges on society aka credit cards, even when I have gone to Hawaii, Cuba and Iceland.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:24:41 AM by salmon river »

nineweight

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »

...from what i have been told on line licensing is being done to make it easier for people to purchase them ,

Not at all true, the Govt does this to reduce their costs-pushing paper costs money-a lot more money than a smoothly functioning Internet purchasing system.

The idea of an in store terminal defeats this and is dumb as a bag of hammers IMO.
Actually Sam Salmon that statement is true. Online licensing has been developed to make it easier for anglers to obtain a license.  As well as to provide data on who is buying licenses in BC and from where.   Its just one way they are currently addressing the decline in freshwater angling in our province.   Right now paper licenses just get dumped in a storage room.  Electronic licensing will provide data on who is buying licenses and from where.

Like you said yourself, placing terminals in stores would not reduce the cost, but this is not the main objective of e-licensing.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:48:51 AM by nineweight »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 10:02:03 AM »

I thought that I would try this new service just to see how easy it actually was and I was impressed. It was very easy to do and alot faster then going to a store. So this is definatley quick and easy.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »

i went to reactions to buy my new license and tags....no can do, so they set me up through their computer and now i have a flimsy copy of this years license. i have a feeling the first time i go to write a fish down while its raining, i'm gonna end up with a piece of toilet paper with black smudge marks on it.   :(  awh well