Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery searun cutthroat trout fishery  (Read 19553 times)

spey

Hatchery searun cutthroat trout fishery
« on: January 27, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »

i dont know y anybody would kill a cutthroat, ever. Especially right now as they are just about 2 spawn.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:08:22 PM by spey »

Britguy

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery searun cutthroat trout fishery
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »

i dont know y anybody would kill a cutthroat, ever. Especially right now as they are just about 2 spawn.
so you never fish for any salmon or trout that enter a river system to spawn and keep one
where do you fish?

spey

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:36:31 PM »

no, i just feel bad killing a cutthroat 

tnt

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »

if people actually Knew how few adult Cuthroat are out there, they might think twice about killing them... nice fish, to bad there dead...Kill a chum they taste the same...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 10:03:21 PM »

if people actually Knew how few adult Cuthroat are out there, they might think twice about killing them... nice fish, to bad there dead...Kill a chum they taste the same...

I totally agree. You cant compare salmon to cutthroat. Go do some research on cutthroat or talk to some old timers who keep journals on cutthroat. You would be amazed at their decline.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 10:10:16 PM »

I totally agree. You cant compare salmon to cutthroat. Go do some research on cutthroat or talk to some old timers who keep journals on cutthroat. You would be amazed at their decline.

You're right... cutts are definitely on the decline...but then again, what species of salmonid isn't on a major decline??

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:09:57 AM »

I dont see anything wrong with the killing of these fish.
They were hatchery fish and they were well within there limit.
Spend your energy writing to the Ministry of Environment if you think they should be closed to retention.
I dont kill Cutthroat myself but im certainly not going to tell others what they can and cant keep if within the regs. ::)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:55:01 AM »

First Light, with all the snow and crappy weather, there have been a lot of car accidents.  I would hazard a guess that many accidents even happen below the posted speed limit because of particularly bad conditions.  Now would you say a guy driving 70 in an 80 zone and who got into a car accident, did nothing wrong?  After all he was within the "limit"?  Certain times require higher levels of caution.  I think retaining these cutts on the chehalis are a very similiar example.   

I don't think anyone has suggested he broke any laws but sometimes just doing what the law requires isn't enough.  I personally look at those fish as having a far great value as living parts of an ecosystem who will propagate and increase the population...in comparison to being part of a meal. 

Just like cammer noted, I too have seen maybe a couple of cutts on the chehalis...and I have fished it for over 15 years.  These guys finding 3 specimens like this certainly is a surprise and they did ultimately remove a large chunk of the total population on that river.  This perspective is something I am sure they weren't aware of up til now...hopefully through dialog like this, they and others will reconsider such actions in the future.

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »

Thanks for sharing your points, info and suggestions, I also agree with Gooey--sometimes just doing what the law requires isn't enough.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »

I'm actually suprised that the Chehalis hatchery clips those cutts...

The populations should be given a chance to recover before kill fisheries are re-introduced.

Historically the Harrison had a world class throphy cutthroat fishery, with many fish in the 2-5 lb class... It's a shame we can't bring that back.

-Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 01:40:23 PM »

i'm with firstlight.....if the law isn't enough then go to the higher up and ask for change.

as far as the speed limit analogy...there's what they refer to as 'tolerance'...that's why cops don't always pull you over when you're doing 
80 in a 70 zone.  how many times have you overtaken a car on the highway because you felt the driver was driving too slow even when you knew full well they were doing the speed limit?  semantics only solidify the argument that there is no right or wrong in this case.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »

First Light, with all the snow and crappy weather, there have been a lot of car accidents.  I would hazard a guess that many accidents even happen below the posted speed limit because of particularly bad conditions.  Now would you say a guy driving 70 in an 80 zone and who got into a car accident, did nothing wrong?  After all he was within the "limit"?  Certain times require higher levels of caution.  I think retaining these cutts on the chehalis are a very similiar example.   

I don't think anyone has suggested he broke any laws but sometimes just doing what the law requires isn't enough.  I personally look at those fish as having a far great value as living parts of an ecosystem who will propagate and increase the population...in comparison to being part of a meal. 

Just like cammer noted, I too have seen maybe a couple of cutts on the chehalis...and I have fished it for over 15 years.  These guys finding 3 specimens like this certainly is a surprise and they did ultimately remove a large chunk of the total population on that river.  This perspective is something I am sure they weren't aware of up til now...hopefully through dialog like this, they and others will reconsider such actions in the future.

sometimes when i read your posts, i get offended...wasn't it  you 2 years ago who posted a picture of a summer run steelie (from the vedder) who took a lot of flack from some members because they accused you of retaining a fish from an endangered run?....i believe i was one of the few members who defended you on the same merit.  (maybe rodney can find and post that thread to help refresh your memory).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:59:38 PM by blaydRnr »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 01:56:21 PM »

If given any chance, guys will kill whatever they can for no other reason then that..WHY? Stop preaching about going to the higher up that's total B.S. excuse and only shows how weak some arguments are on here...No credible reason to kill those fish, just a shame!!!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »

I killed a searun cutty last year and felt like crap afterwards.  Didn't taste like chum though, was quite nice. 

Many people probably rely on the reg's (albeit too heavily) to tell them what is "reasonable" to keep within a system...people new to the fishery or simply people that are not as die hard as some of us are are doing nothing wrong "morally" by killing a couple fish if the only knowledge they have of a species sustainability is what they have gathered from the regs.  You can't expect people to "know" that the cutty population is hurting if it receives little press outside of certain circles.

Personally I'd like to see a no-kill reg. for them.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »

If given any chance, guys will kill whatever they can for no other reason then that..WHY? Stop preaching about going to the higher up that's total B.S. excuse and only shows how weak some arguments are on here...No credible reason to kill those fish, just a shame!!!

just like how fishermen will kill doe white springs for their roe and give away the meat with disregard.

i guess we should just forget about diplomacy and get right into anarchy.