Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery searun cutthroat trout fishery  (Read 19640 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery searun cutthroat trout fishery
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

There is a big difference between reactive and proactive thinking BR.  It's the difference between getting stitches to close a massive head wound and thinking ahead and maybe deciding that playing catch with a glass baseball isn't that good of an idea.  Use what experience you and those around you have and make educated decisions for the future.  Don't look at the state of things at present and act on it.....  big difference.  I'm thinking you are probably in the camp that likes to think ahead. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:21:20 PM by marmot »

fish321

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

BR, a lot of the the comments I made came from the 104 page report on cutty populations/etc...did you read any of that? 

Heres the link again: http://www.shim.bc.ca/cutthroat/ct.pdf

As well, I have commercial fished, sport fished salmon and steelhead (for more than 20 years), volunteered at the seymour hatchery (on and off since 2002), I took genetics courses up to 3rd year, etc.  A lot of my comments come from things I pick up from people involved in the industry like a family friend who (last time I checked) is on the board of the Greater Georgia Basin Steelhead Recovery Program as well as one of the directors of the Seymour hatchery. 

Anyhow, I wanted to address a statement Coho Killer made:" if the cutthroat weRE in that much trouble the retention would be ZERO? "

As Marmot points out, DFO and MOE are both very REACTIVE. Just look at the sockeye fishery or even better yet, east coast cod...these guys have proven time and again that they are reactive not proactive.  The seymour hatchery fought a long time to have the steelhead run closed to retention ( JUST LAST YEAR IT WAS OPEN FOR 2 FISH A DAY)!!!  Certainly the seymour can't have a healthier population of steelhead than the vedder, but for the longest time it was a 2 fish daily limit!  Another prime example of the management team you place so much faith in, not having a clue.

If you were involved with the seymour then you know that from what I understand was the cutthrroat program was discontinued because it did not contribute to a fishery and was no benefit. As for the two steelhead limit if I am not mistaken it has been said that hatchery inbreeding with such a small population of wild fish will be a detriment to said population of wild fish. I believe that the zero retention on the seymour is to allow a radio tagging study to be undertook to see the differenations and interactions of wild and hatchery populations and when the study period is complete retention will be reallowed.  Don't get me wrong though  I am all for hatchery fish when the option is no fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2008, 08:07:30 PM »

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/fishfacts/cutthroattrout.pdf

How are they doing?
The coastal cutthroat is a blue-listed species, which means the species is considered vulnerable in British Columbia. Several populations, particularly those on the East coast of Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland, near Vancouver, are in serious decline. Many runs are already extinct. Their dependence on small streams for spawning and rearing makes them especially vulnerable, as small streams are easily altered or destroyed and their protection is often overlooked in planning residential, agricultural, and industrial developments or during forest harvesting

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 11:27:01 PM »

There is a big difference between reactive and proactive thinking BR.  It's the difference between getting stitches to close a massive head wound and thinking ahead and maybe deciding that playing catch with a glass baseball isn't that good of an idea.  Use what experience you and those around you have and make educated decisions for the future.  Don't look at the state of things at present and act on it.....  big difference.  I'm thinking you are probably in the camp that likes to think ahead. 

i believe in proactive thinking, but i also have to be a realist. sometimes you have to step back and use what is on hand at present to improve the future.  if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of the overall scheme look at newton's third law of motion.
even with 'actions' of good and positive intent there could be an inadvertent result of negative reactions.

my beef isn't about the right to follow regulations (because regulations as you know are out dated and non pertaining to the plight of cutthroat population and habitat), but to the criticism that some of the members here withstood because they were exercising those rights....i suppose you can argue that if the regulations are flawed then why encourage their support. my response.....its the law and if  they're not worthy of the letter then use the proper avenue to change them.

nothing wrong with educating people, but there's a right way and a wrong way...especially when people are making the effort to follow the law.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:34:52 PM by blaydRnr »

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2008, 06:54:13 AM »

MARMOT it's comments like that that make me laugh! Do you know me? NO! Who are you to say what i catch and don't catch? Were you there? Notice i never named the systems i was fishing? You have your right to your own opinion as does everyone else, but in all honesty, do you think if the cutthroat weRE in that much trouble the retention would be ZERO?  I've been a vey lucky angler over the years! I do my homework and i know when and where to fish through out the year! I keep a journal on what was caught on my outings, as well as what was used! Marmot doubt all ya want i have no reason to lie about my outings maybe you have to have a day or 2 like mine to truly respect this fishery! Good luck and tight lines!

CK, I think you've misinterpreted what Marmot was trying to say in his last post. He's not doubting your success in the latest outings or your angling skill, but he's suggesting that such trips misrepresent the cutthroat fishery as the success rate is generally low (ie. out of 100 trips, less than 10 of those maybe days like you've experienced).

Thanks Rodney, yes, completely misinterpreted.  I don't doubt that you did exceptionally well CK, and good going, its nice to see people catching...  I'm saying if you did this well all the time, I would say you have been very lucky, as this is not the experience most people have going after these fish.  As for retention being zero, no, I don't expect that DFO given their reactive nature lately would have the foresight to make such a move...nor do I see that as a solution.  I'd far rather see a bait ban, just my opinion.

MOE/The Province is responsible for Cutthroat. NOT DFO.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2008, 08:34:15 AM »

Thanks for correcting that OBD...
makes even more sense.

stlhd4ever

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2008, 08:56:40 AM »

Not so. The Sportfishing Advisory Committee is responsible for asking Fisheries and Oceans Canada as well as Ministry of Environment at times to make changes in regulations that would benefit both the fish and the angling community. Closure of the chinook salmon on the Chilliwack River from January 1st to June 30th is a good example

Just curious when was this brought into effect Rodney
Wishin I was Fishin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:16 AM »

about three seasons ago.

Ribwart

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2008, 10:34:36 AM »

With all due respect Fossil, and I mean no offence, but when I saw those fish on the bank my heart dropped. Such a shame they're not still swimming around in there. I caught a few there just like that a while back and was really glad to have found them and connected with them. To see them on the beach instead of in the water just seems so wrong to me.

Like I said, no offence, you were perfectly within your right, just providing another perspective.

They must've been a joy to catch!

rib

This post was moved here by Rodney from the original topic. I have not taken the time to read through this thread, and thus this response may seem out of context to the current discussion on cutthrout. Regardless, the post remains, and is indicative of my response to the picture of three dead trout posted by Fossil in the original topic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:01:28 AM by Ribwart »

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »

Sorry, guys, took such bad picture. should've cleaned them first or just taken landing pictures. i usually take good photos, but, after 8h fishing and half time was in heavy snow, you know, frozen fingers also frozen mind...forgive me.

thanks rib, i'm also thinking about play C&R for cutties like i did to salmon.