Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery searun cutthroat trout fishery  (Read 19622 times)

charles

Re: Hatchery searun cutthroat trout fishery
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 02:04:30 PM »

And it always turns out this way:

A newer member shows some pictures or report (within the reg. limited), got slammed...

4x4

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »

I'm actually surprised that the Chehalis hatchery clips those cutts...

-Nicole

Those aren't necessarily Chehalis Cutthroat. These trout migrate to all systems. Could be Fraser stock, Harrison.... It is not uncommon to catch Cutthroat and Dollies in the Chehalis this time of year.

Being an avid Cutthroat fisherman I can tell you, for sure their numbers have declined.

I don't kill Cutthroat either but if I did only one of those fish would of been bonked. The other 2 are in spawn mode (take a pic and let them go) and will not be good table fare. A waste of future fish imo but the fisherman has a right to take them as long as they stay within the regs.

I would love to see a no kill and bait ban (to many are gut hooked) for all river/sea run Cutts for awhile.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »

Bladerunner, you are too much...really.  "sometimes when i read your posts, i get offended"...did i offend you in some way at some point in the past (maybe distant past)?!? 

You made a couple mistakes so I'll correct you were I can:
1) I retained a hatchery steelhead on the seymour 3-4 years back.  I was fishing roe bags for coho and bumped into that summer run which ended up being hooked in the tounge and it was bleeding pretty bad...it was a nice clean fish so considering the perdicament, I bonked it.  Maybe all 3 of those fish were bleeders too, I don't know (and I certainly slag/bash fossl) but please, if you are going to throw something in my face, get your facts straighte.   It was the only steelhead I have ever retained on the seymour and after quite a bit of volunteer work on that system, I didnt feel bad about taking from a river I had given a lot to.

2)  Fossil, the guy who retained those fish seemed to understand/value what I was saying.... you totally misunderstood my analogy, maybe go back and reread it without the bias (you seem to have a bone with me).  I am saying sometimes you need to drive 50 in an 80 zone!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »

A newer member shows some pictures or report (within the reg. limited), got slammed...

Not so, a discussion over a hot issue generated from a member's report isn't meant to slam the reporter. In fact, many have stated that the reporter has done nothing illegal. There will always be a few negative comments, which usually come from the same members, and after awhile it's pretty easy to filter their comments out by skipping through.

It's a good discussion. The problem isn't caused by the individual anglers, but the management of this particular fishery. Hatchery cutthroat trout are raised and the regulations are made to allow a hatchery kill fishery, so the program isn't exactly intended for enhancing the troubled population, but to provide an ongoing kill fishery. If you have a problem with it, then I highly encourage you to:

• Contact the representative of your fishing organization who can bring up the concern at the local SFAC meetings
  • Contact the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC
  • Contact the provincial environment minister Barry Penner

You're paying for the programs, the fish belong to everyone, so let them know what you would like to see done differently. :)

charles

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 03:29:58 PM »

Is there a button for the filter  ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 03:34:53 PM »

I was talking about mental filter. ;D But I think there actually is an ignore function on the forum. I've never used it, because I just loooove to read all of the posts everyday... ;D :P

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »

"just like how fishermen will kill doe white springs for their roe and give away the meat with disregard."

It depends on if you give it away just because you wanted the roe and not the fish or if someone asked you for the fish i.e. you brought it home and a friend said they really wanted some fresh salmon. I have killed salmon and done the later, I have also killed a salmon and been asked by the boat owner if he could have it for his neighbor, which I did and kept the other. I will otherwise only keep what I am going to eat myself and if that means letting a hatchery fish go, I have done so and it doesn't bother me in the least...

While some do keep trout and in areas that have  enough of them to warrant keeping, that is what it is..but to take what precious few there are out of a system that is as fragile as the Chehalis is no matter what the regs say and show them gutted on the ground shows a complete lack of any regard for the fish or the system it came out of...

I think these actions should be dealt with and discussed whether heatedly or not because it makes some of the new guys aware of what is and isn't acceptable...The same should have and did happen when the newbie with the bloody hands had his glory shot on here with the wild steelhead...It gives me hope to see others get as pissed off as I do seeing this kind of thing happening!!!

charles

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »

The same should have and did happen when the newbie with the bloody hands had his glory shot on here with the wild steelhead...It gives me hope to see others get as pissed off as I do seeing this kind of thing happening!!!

I do agree with what is said about that picture.  looks to be Bloody hand / dry wild fish / high on the rocks made that picture bad...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »

I would love to see a no kill and bait ban (to many are gut hooked) for all river/sea run Cutts for awhile.

I completely agree with the no retention of SRC. They already have no retention for Bulls and Dollies in most of our region why not extend it to these beautiful fish?

Cheers
Nuggy

There is a non-retention of both wild trout and char in streams of Region 2. There are no hatchery raised/clipped bull trout and doly varden which makes the non-retention applied to all of them. For cutthroat trout, non-retention applies to all wild fish, while a daily quota of 2 fish is allowed for hatchery raised fish.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »

Bladerunner, you are too much...really.  "sometimes when i read your posts, i get offended"...did i offend you in some way at some point in the past (maybe distant past)?!? 

You made a couple mistakes so I'll correct you were I can:
1) I retained a hatchery steelhead on the seymour 3-4 years back.  I was fishing roe bags for coho and bumped into that summer run which ended up being hooked in the tounge and it was bleeding pretty bad...it was a nice clean fish so considering the perdicament, I bonked it.  Maybe all 3 of those fish were bleeders too, I don't know (and I certainly slag/bash fossl) but please, if you are going to throw something in my face, get your facts straighte.   It was the only steelhead I have ever retained on the seymour and after quite a bit of volunteer work on that system, I didnt feel bad about taking from a river I had given a lot to.

2)  Fossil, the guy who retained those fish seemed to understand/value what I was saying.... you totally misunderstood my analogy, maybe go back and reread it without the bias (you seem to have a bone with me).  I am saying sometimes you need to drive 50 in an 80 zone!

its great you've done alot of volunteer work for the seymour system...maybe i got the rivers mixed up (or maybe you didn't specify at the time and i guessed wrong) however, it doesn't change the fact that you were slagged and i supported you.
as far as facts are concerned...why slag someone for doing something within the regs? you got slagged for the same reasons, did you feel it to be justified? i just find it hypocritical on your part to make such a stance on that side of the fence, when you were in the same position, not so long ago.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »

BR, had I released that fish, it would probably have died...that said, retaining it made sense.  Do I think its hypacritical now...considering its was a bleeder, not really.

I don't think that fossil felt my post was an attack, in fact he acknowledged what I said so I can't help but think that he didn't feel slagged (if you did...sorry fossil). 

Just like golfman pointed out, there are a lot of newbies mixed in with some very, very experienced (and passionate) fishers here.  The experienced fishers who have been on the rivers as long as they have often get frustrated by seeing more of the same.  You notice charle's comment "a new member post some pics..."...now I don't want to make assumptions but I think its a safe guess that a lot of these "new members" are also new fishers (ie the guys submitting pics with fingers in the gills, netting a wild steelhead, bonked fish that could be released, etc, etc).  The experienced fishers here can and should share their "constructive feedback" and hopefully in the process, everyone including the fish, will come out ahead.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 07:37:18 PM »

I would try some flesh patterns as well. When I was out steelheading on my local flow I was watching some cutties feast on a carcass that was in the shallows(1-1.5' of water). It was pretty neat to watch. They would dart out from the cover of a cut bank and just slam the side of the carcass to get the flesh. They would then dart back to the cut bank.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 09:04:47 PM »

Don't see the problem here
These fish are bred for fishermen to fish for and keep 2 if they want (hatchery fish)
we are not talking about wild fish that do need protecting
I would be all for catch and release only but the rules say you can retain 2 hatch so leave the guy alone
and send your comments to the proper authorities

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

What's the function of hatchery cutties anyways.  If they are for brood, wouldn't they be left unclipped?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 07:30:09 AM »

I have had many lengthy discussions with a variety of people in the industry and one conversation that sticks out is the difference between Washington and Oregon stocking programs compared to BC.  IN the US, hatchery programs are often designed to CREATE sport fishing opportunities!  Imagine that.  There is a river (the name  escapes me) but they were taking excess returning adult hatchery steelhead and putting them in lakes to create lake fishing opportunities that wouldnt be there otherwise!  This same river would collect any hatchery fish that made it to the top and truck them all down to the bottom again just so the fisherman could have another crack at em.  These fish are all hatchery clones and believe me that there is a very strong put and take mentality down there (nothing wrong with that). 

In BC though, the hatcheries are not run to create fishing opportunities at best they increase angling opportunities or augment the natural population.  Cutties are a good example of a hatchery produced fish that isn't spawned to create an angling opportunity (unlike clipped coho/chinook/steelhead/etc).  If you look at the impact we have had on natural populations of any creature, then I would say its a safe guess that these cutties are spawned to ensure the natural population doesn't disappear.  But based on the production numbers, its safe to say cutties are not spawned to create a retention angling opportunities.

Britguy - yes Fossil was within he legal right to retain those hatchery fish.  What many are saying here though is that those fish (based on weakening populations) should be considered for catch and release only.  And you ad, "send your comments to the proper authorities..." thats a great way of placing the responsibility on someone else...kinda goes back to my analogy though were in certain scenarios we all should be more diligent than we may normally be.  As well, the "proper authorities" in BC do not view hatchery programs as a way to return a run to its original healthy state so asking them to put a ban on retention of hatchery  cutties will probably fall on deaf ears.  Once again, it more or less puts the responsibility in our hands to do the right thing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:06:08 AM by Gooey »