Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request 3 - Sport angling behaviour  (Read 28118 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

Excellent. Like any good hockey player that wears blue and white, always save enough steam for the third period.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Excellent. Like any good hockey player that wears blue and white, always save enough steam for the third period.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rolling, rolling, rolling right along. ;D ;D ;D

milo

• Old Timer

From thread number 2:

"I think a good compromise would be to restrict leader length to 36 inches or less"

"I agree, and it's coming!"

I suggested this publicly 3 years ago on FishBC and other forums and got blasted by the hollier than thou anti-flossing crowd. Three feet is still plenty enough for flossing, if that is what turns your crank. Heck, you should see what some people can do with just 12 inches of leader on some systems. It is all a matter of intent.

But a leader length restriction would sure be a good starting point and I would gladly endorse it. However, those who word the regulations must keep in mind that any leader restriction has to be specifically limited to RIVERS, as there are stillwater and saltwater applications (flyfishing and trolling) where leader length should not be limited, as it does not result in snagged fish.

My general opinion on flossing hasn't changed since we last "spoke". Flossing is not a sportfishing technique, it is a harvesting method. It is the non-First Nation fisher's alternative to netting, or as someone called it "a one strain net system". (good one, Ironhead, LOL!)

I am perfectly OK with it, as long as it is limited to the abundant Fraser summer runs of sockeye and chinook. Therefore, abiding by DFO's request sounds like a sensible idea. I personally won't indulge in it until DFO's request is up, as I do care for the early Stuarts.

Maybe later in the summer...if I get a chance. I am too busy flyfishing the Interior lakes these days... :)

Rodney, did you think I wasn't following this saga?  ;)

Incidentally, what colour yarn is hot this year?  :P

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Incidentally, what colour yarn is hot this year?  :P

Candy FLOSS Pink

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

You really have to have that "can do" attitude when flossing short leaders on stubborn Socs. I think that it will make it more sporting to use the shorter leaders. Good on them bring on the new "changes" and sport to the fishery.....

challenge yourself...... what you personally floss yourself with, same length for leader, don't cheat neither :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

milo

• Old Timer

You really have to have that "can do" attitude when flossing short leaders on stubborn Socs. I think that it will make it more sporting to use the shorter leaders. Good on them bring on the new "changes" and sport to the fishery.....

I don't think that a shorter leader adds any 'sporting' element to the fishery, as you are still flossing them and not enticing them to bite, but it sure makes it more effortful, which, in itself, is a good thing.

Sterling C

• Old Timer

Even though they save some steam for the 3rd period they still loose LOL !!!!

I guess that tells us where you stand on the issue.
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

This is the first of two committees that are dealing with this issue, not sure when the other will be complete. However a member of this forum who is the chair of the SFAC (Sportsfishing Advisory Sub Committee) may comment on this but I am sure it will be posted for further discussion when completed.

Remember these committees have members from both sides of the issues and are all volunteers who give freely of their time, I think you can applaud them for their efforts.

For those that may think these discussion are a waste of time it is great that it is your choice to read them or not.

But as I said many times changes are coming in the months ahead as FOC and MOE will take the results of these two committees to heart I am sure.

I know this personally as when the FVSS was started many said we would never get a chinook fishery again but we did after a lot of hard work.

The FVSS working with FOC also got all salmon species open but as some will admit including myself the sockeye fishery has spawned a new generation of anglers.

In my humble option it is time to get back to angling methods where the fish actually bite and are not snagged by the ill luck of many fish being snagged by leaders upwards to one quarter the lenght of the Air Canada Centre.

Is that sporting?

hotrod

I was out today and did not see one single sockeye caught or even hooked.So what I see is a propaganda tactic by ther minority group of fisherman in key political positions to subject there will on all those who dare fish the way they don't like. Here;s he propaganda.They are using the low Stuart run to help with there cause. That's how I see it!

NO SOCKEYES HAVE BEEN HOOKED THESE DAYS! THEY ARE ALL GETTING THROUGH THE FLOSSERS SO STOP USING IT FOR YOUR OWN AGENDA!

My two cents worth.

Hotrod

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

Milo!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D You know, I was wondering about you and wondering what I was doing wrong not to have you included in the discussion!  ;D Good to see you and to hear you're doing well in the Interior lakes.  8)

You're right about leader length and intent. One can floss a fish with a pretty short leader; Ive seen it! But 3' is a very good start. Addressing the ones who floss the pocket water with a 24" leader would/could be further down the line (pardon the pun) if even worth addressing.

I always thought your harvest idea held water if implemented properly. It's too bad we have the cart before the horse here though as most flossers consider it a harvest anyplace, anywhere. Im not sure how would could turn this around so guys could get a crack during sockeye openings in the name of HARVEST but it would be difficult/next to impossible to apply to our other fisheries. Might not be realistic, but anything is worth thinking about especially considering flossing is here and in some form, will likely stay. I dont like snagging, but compromises will be key.

You can regulate gear, but not intent.

Fishfreak, speak for yourself in regards to this being a waste of time. I think the sharing is valuable not only to the vocal ones involved but for the many who read it on the sidelines and make their own decisions based on it.

Cool that TWO people didnt see a sockeye hooked over the 60 some odd Km of river being fished right now.  ::)

Im also not scared to stand up and say I dont like snagging of any kind, anywhere. Used to be a given that sporting sport anglers would oppose it. Somehow it's now propaganda? Using 'nets' and 'limited impacts' to justify snagging is more propaganda to me considering the major effects this snagging has created on our other systems. Remember, Im not just worried about guys snagging sockeye and chinook on the Fraser, Im also considering other fisheries that are obviously effected and what our future holds.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:59:36 PM by 2:40 »
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Round 3 and I'm hooked

'Using 'nets' and 'limited impacts' to justify snagging is more propaganda to me considering the major effects this snagging has created on our other systems."

I think everyone should stay focused on the conservation of the stock and how best to do that. If you think people don't poach at places in the dark with nets and bait for fish illegally, then I guess stay focused on what would appear to be your bugaboo. I say there are bigger fish to fry, no pun intended. Fish farms and urbanization ruining local streams because of lax laws etc just pure propaganda from bottom bouncers to "justify" their wretched existence. :-\ I'm at a loss for words......ring ring.... Troll calling
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Nice to see Milo comes over from fishbc for some debate. We had some fun taking up Oliver & River Watcher there some years back.  Still remember Carnivore of Alaska called their technique as 'lining' there and it is legal in Alaska to harvest a sockeye the same way we do it here. I always wondered if they have their anti-flossing activists there. Welcome, now you can face the Olivers of FWR, as I retire to fish in peace.  ;D ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Milo,Milo,Milo so now you think it is ok to floss Chinook.
That right there just shows where this fishery is leading.
It isnt just going to stay on the Fraser either.
Time to clean this mess up and just close this fishery.
Lets get back to fishing and leave the harvesting to the commercial and Native sector .

glog

II thought this was over and done with. But even the forum moderators are ignoring their own requests to reduce the talk as it goes nowhere.

But here we go again.  Another thread and this one  started by the forum moderators. themselves

It is obvious that they want to ram through their own personal opinions and try to stifle any others that dare to disagree with them, why else would they say reduce the talk and then startup another thread with the same topic.

I have a question, If they limit leaders to say 36 inches, is that going to include fly fisherman that use sinking lines to get down to the fish. The leaders in a lot of cases are way longer than the flossers.

As for these committee’s its unfortunate that not enough of the average Joe’s volunteer for these committees which end up usually stacked in favor of some radical opinion.

These small vocal special interest groups always try to do things by committee as they know that if they had a referendum on the issue they would be well and soundly  be defeated. There’s a very simple solution to this issue.  When you buy your fishing license have a questionnaire attached regarding leader length and  bottom bouncing. The majority wins. But we all know from the number of fisherman on the Fraser during sockeye season who is going to win that argument. In this world the majority opinion should be sufficient, however we all know form the past that these small vocal special interest groups love to twist, exaggerate, misdirect, use fear and scare tactics in order to get their own personal agendas approved.

As for the sockeye early Stuart  run scare, fear mongering tactics being used. Its so much BS its getting ridiculous.  In one day at Steveston public dock I saw more small sockeye being LEGALLY sold by commercial boats at the public fishing dock that I have in 25 years of fishing the Fraser in July. I can count the number of early sockeye that have been hooked on one hand, and they were all long lined released.

This is getting almost as bad as the religious zealots that try to ram their personal version of their religion down peoples throats.