Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request 3 - Sport angling behaviour  (Read 28164 times)

milo

• Old Timer

Milo,Milo,Milo so now you think it is ok to floss Chinook.
That right there just shows where this fishery is leading.
It isnt just going to stay on the Fraser either.
Time to clean this mess up and just close this fishery.
Lets get back to fishing and leave the harvesting to the commercial and Native sector .

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce...why are you so negative and see only the negative in everything. I think you need to fish more, man.
If I thought it is OK to floss chinook at any time and under all circumstances, I would have been on the Fraser in the last few weeks.
Have I?
No, not even close. I have yet to tie on a bouncing betty this year.
You very well know that I am enjoying flyfishing exotic high elevation Merritt area lakes EVERY weekend.

One thing that you and your lawn chair dwelling brethren should keep in mind is that not everybody enjoys the bar fishing method. Many of us find it too static and boring. And as long as the stocks are abundant enough and flossing does not affect endangered runs, who am I to say that it is not OK to fish for chinook using any LEGAL mathod out there?

If there is a problem with sockeye numbers, close the fishery.
If there is a problem with chinook numbers, close the fishery.
For all sectors, all methods.

It's only fair. Any approach other than that reeks of agenda driven elitism and discrimination.

milo

• Old Timer

I have a question, If they limit leaders to say 36 inches, is that going to include fly fisherman that use sinking lines to get down to the fish. The leaders in a lot of cases are way longer than the flossers.

Not true. When fishing moving waters, fly fishermen hardly ever use leaders longer than 3-4 feet. It would defeat the purpose of the sinking line or sinking tip, as the fly wouldn't get down to the zone.

So yes, a 36-inch leader length restriction may very well include fly chuckers.

Cheers, Milo
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:25:17 AM by milo »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

liketofish

• Old Timer

Glog, always watch for smilies in Rodney's posts. His sense of humour is just incredible, a perfect attribute to be a good moderator. Don't take it seriously. He just likes to start a new thread when he senses the heated aerial battles between the 3oz betties and the 1lb cannon balls are getting out of hand.  ;D ;D ;D

It is better than locking out the discussion. A new thread kind of relaxes the tension and animosity when the 'battle' takes a fresh start again.  ;D Even veterans like 2:40 or Steelhawk run out of steam when the battles are stretched out.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 02:55:30 PM by liketofish »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures

]

Oops, busted. This is in fact a secret attempt of the global fishing ethic domination that moderators of Fishing with Rod have planned out over the year since the establishment of the website. We disguise our objective by making Dragonspeed participating heavily during the sockeye opening. A couple of years ago, we even made him blend in with the crowd by asking him to drive his precious Toyota Tundra through the side channels at Peg Leg only to have the truck stuck and lost as a result.
knowing the origin of the sockeye salmon sold at Steveston Fishermen Dock would be a good idea before being used to strengthen your point of view.

So, that's what those strings on my back are.  I'm just a PUPPET!!! Waaaaaah! ;)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures

It is better than locking out the discussion. A new thread kind of relaxes the tension and animosity when the 'battle' takes a fresh start again.  ;D Even veterans like 2:40 or Steelhawk run out of steam when the battles are stretched out.  ;D ;D ;D

Think of it as a "reloading break" ;)

liketofish

• Old Timer

Well said, DS (who is no less humourous).  :D

milo

• Old Timer

2:40, your debating this year is much more mature and convincing than it used to be a few years ago. I see that you are willing to compromise, and for that, I commend you.

Yes, a solution should be found that will appease all user groups. A strictly enforced leader length restriction would definitely be a great tool.
It would not stop flossing, but it would sure make it much more difficult.

Can we now have a cease fire?
I ran out of bouncing betties! ;)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

"I ran out of bouncing betties!"

I didn't I collected about 240 of them last summer. :) Along with lots of garbage from Jones.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

lucky

• Old Timer

just read the 49 page document and I must say that it raises some good points but seems very biased to me, the barfishing crusaders make it sound like everyone that bottom bounces for fish is double dipping, leaving garbage behind fishing with treble hooks ect. paints a pretty black picture of us snaggers ::) when the river finally closes they will only have themselves to blame. It was said that every fish counts, and that barfishing is a "selective method" what a crock of horse my smelly socks that is, I barfished with spinnglows once last year, hooked one fish, and it was a sockeye that had ran into my line, go figure. In the past I have snagged every species of salmon barfishing the lower fraser simply by having them run into the line. And why is it that barfishing is so much more "sporting" than bouncing? all you do is throw out a huge hook and hope that it lands in a channel that fish are travelling through.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

If you dont like bar fishing then dont.
Its actually very simple Milo.
I actually just got back from a great week with the family up at Sheridan Lake but you knew that allready.
You can try and hide behind the smokescreens and pointless comments but it wont change my thoughts on snagging. ;D

milo

• Old Timer

We went over this a gazillion times, Bruce. Both in person and on internet forums.
If you think that what I write are smokescreens and pointless comments, why do you reply to them?

And BTW, I don't expect you to change your thoughts on snagging, and I hope you never will, as
your thoughts on snagging are exactly the same as mine.
Snagging is an ILLEGAL practice and anyone caught doing it should be severely punished.  >:(

Cheers, big guy and I hope you catch many springs from your lawn chair this summer! :)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!

This is almost funny.

The SFAC has not approved these proposals and in fact has not seen them yet.

This was done by a group that is called the Chilliwack River Watershed Strategy.

This appears to be made up of a select group of people who were asked to work on this and has "nothing to do with the SFAB"!

The ideal of a leader length rule stopping flossing is a joke, as noted 3 foot leaders are plenty.

There as another proposal coming from DFO that may change totally the way the fishery is handled on the Fraser.

Wait till that one is out to public meetings and see if your concern about leaders really matters.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:50:23 PM by Old Black Dog »

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!

Restrict the length of my leader and I will adapt a new 'technique'. Stay tuned if this regulation becomes  LAW as opposed to a request.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

That opening news clipping, which you have to wonder who wrote, says it all. An emotional issue for some frustrated person who got skunked that day fishing. Then thinks they should blame all the woes on their fellow angler. Imagine people lecturing you on the river for not fishing exactly like they do. I heard this from some fly fishers for reasons why rivers should be fly only, as a "conservation technique". Balderdash I say, and beating up on and saying fellow anglers are the cause of all the fishes problems is a very narrowly focused way of "helping " the fishery. Why didn't they just say no one but the righteous can fish, . Still going to have your tons of garbage left over this summer by the snaggers, because the locals and homeless who play in the water don't leave the garbage there. Stay focused on whats harming the fish and those MOE and DFO could have just read some of these web sites to get a better idea of what peoples concerns are. More travel expenses and lodging bills again.

Fortynine pages like that just paints all sportfishing as something to get rid of. Way to go. Who are you representing BTW. There have been less Conservation officers for years and that probably caused more problems than anything else. If they(DFO & MOE) can get the rightous to do the job for free by lecturing people on the river more donuts for them. Nothing worse than those Wallmart greeters.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?