Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request 3 - Sport angling behaviour  (Read 28162 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics

You will only see the truth when you allow yourself to...

Cheers,
Nicole

always makes me laugh when someone so closedminded tells me I can't see the truth lol  ;D ;D

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

gman

I have been following all of this, and managed to stay out of it so far, but here goes....

Trophyhunter, your post summed up some of my feelings on this topic (though I was a little hurt by the references to fishing while sleeping a lawn chair - because I sometimes do that!).

Everyone knows conservation issues for sockeye or chinook are not a true reason in the argument against BB and sockeye. They are simply  the only reason those with an agenda could come up with to try and stop it. Sport fishing (even BB) is not a very efficient harvest method compared to any type of net.

2:40, when I read your posts I alternate between admiration for your commitment and will to change things for the better (as you see it), to being a little scared of how you so easily criticize and dismiss a group of people that simply sees things differently than you. Most people I have met who BB  do not leave garbage behind, release fish well, and generally try to be "good citizens".

I too see increasing problems of overcrowding and poor ethics on our rivers (I have been fishing this area for 35 years).  I have seen gong shows on the Squamish and Vedder as bad as anything on a BB bar and  I think it is wrong to blame it all on sockeye or BB. I think population growth to our area along with ease of information over the interent brings in a lot of new anglers, and they start with less mentoring than they perhaps did in the old days (though lots of bad stuff occurred then too).  Maybe you should try to shut down fishing websites (sorry Rod ;))? If  BB or sockeye are closed, I do not think it will make any difference to ethics on the Vedder. Probably you would just see even more anglers on that river instead of the Fraser.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics

always makes me laugh when someone so closedminded tells me I can't see the truth lol  ;D ;D

TH

I'm not close minded at all, I just know better...

;)
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

I find it interesting that the argument now is the Chinook stocks and that flossing is decimating them.

For you that say that or believe that I would advise you to get your facts before you state this.

There is no concern at this time.

Sports anglers as much as they would like to think they are really productive are not.

Where's your numbers? I know that early chinook runs are small. I see anglers catching them in big numbers when before hand, these fish were next to impossible to catch. This is certainly something to think about but for DFO to handle.

Rick, bluntly put, Im surprised that someone who shows so many qualities of sportsmanship is so closed minded that he cant see snagging for what it is until a law is made that addresses it.

Rick, tell me why you dont snag fish in the Vedder? What's the difference between the Vedder and Fraser? Regardless of how you think they came, what's with the HUGE numbers of rippers in the Vedder that grows yearly?

People have been "snagging" fish for a lot longer that BB has been around !! someone mentioned the Cap river in another post and with good reason, I remember when I was 6-7 years old fishing at the cable pool with my brother , I would see 10-15 people at a time snagging big triple hooks through the water to get their fish !! even though I was young and impressionable I never tried this type of fishing !! Your claim that the Fraser is where it all comes from is ridiculous and unfounded , not obvious like you state

What's your point? Snaggers and poachers have always been and always will be. Only difference now is that many hide behind a loophole in the laws and use long leaders instead.

Good thoughts Gman. I said before, there are plenty who snag the Fraser and even the Vedder who are responsible outside the fact they're snagging. I dont dispute that. But we all CANT dispute the huge amount of abuse that's happening. Im sure there are other reasons behind this, but without doubt the sockeye fishery really got it going. I was there when it started and worked in a tackle shop. I watched things change before my eyes from the new clientele in the store to what was happening on the river.

The only standard Im after here is snagging. It's alwasy been here I know, but never to the extent it currently is.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Tee

I find it interesting that the argument now is the Chinook stocks and that flossing is decimating them.

For you that say that or believe that I would advise you to get your facts before you state this.

There is no concern at this time.

Sports anglers as much as they would like to think they are really productive are not.

Where's your numbers? I know that early chinook runs are small. I see anglers catching them in big numbers when before hand, these fish were next to impossible to catch.

Maybe you're right or maybe you are not if you refered to only anglers, but it was never impossible by menthods other than rod and reel to catch back then.

If the stock size is a concern, shut down the fishery.

If over crowding the rivers is a concern, limit the number of fishing licenses issued each year.

I only fish on days that end with "y".

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics

Gord I am tired of typing  ;D all the questions you have just asked have already been answered in my previous posts.. I don't feel like typing them again  ;)

even though we agree on some things but disagree on others I still respect your opinion and respect you as a person !! maybe one day this year I will join you on a lawnchair for the day  :D

TH out !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

glog

oh please give me a break.

This is so typical of these special interest preachers,  they get so hung up on converting and preaching they start contridicting themselves.

2:40 just did it, perfectly

"Where's your numbers? I know that early chinook runs are small. I see anglers catching them in big numbers when before hand, these fish were next to impossible to catch. This is certainly something to think about but for DFO to handle"

In early posts you're telling people to use bar fishing techniques and they are successful for catching chinook, now you are saying that they are next  impossible to catch except by BB. make up your mind, any credibility has just gone out the window with idiotic statements like that above.  keep these guys ranting and raving and all they do is dig themselves a bigger hole in order to justify their one sided opinions. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod