Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Fishing  (Read 11730 times)

sassygrams

Capilano Fishing
« on: November 04, 2006, 10:42:07 PM »

Wow  :o Was the river ever running fast today...  This might be normal for you guys but I was shocked and a little nervous but all was good. 

I finally fished the Capilano, just couldn't drive back out to the Vedder this weekend and it was a great day!  One of the fellows fishing was catching a few fish - sorry, don't know which ones but I think Springs.  I actually "almost" caught three but they just wouldn't stay on the hook - the one snapped my line like it was a twig :) 

I was soaked from head to toe as I have no rain gear and still need to get wadders and boots - but what a good time.  I am going out tomorrow.

Finally learned how to tie my hooks with wool :)  Quite proud of myself....Definitately improving and that is partly to all your help last post of mine.  So, the guys there were saying there wasn't as much biting as there should have been today - Just thought I would let you know.

Good Luck and Off tomorrow I go 'fish' - Life is good at times

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Capilano Fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 10:53:05 PM »

Yeah I went to the cable pool today to check it out, and was amazed at the amount of water coming through... A total torrent!

Man will it ever be good in a few days, once the dam is flushed out... Thinking of a before work mission next week.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

fishfinder

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 11:57:30 PM »

Man will it ever be good in a few days, once the dam is flushed out.

Shhhh...

Ribwart

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 12:01:49 AM »

Was there today also...rain all week....may not get a good crack at it for a while... 8)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 08:45:41 AM »

Finally learned how to tie my hooks with wool :)  Quite proud of myself....Definitately improving and that is partly to all your help last post of mine.  So, the guys there were saying there wasn't as much biting as there should have been today - Just thought I would let you know.

There's a couple good resources for knots - www.animatedknots.com has a lot of animated knots, http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/bumperknot.htm is a good step by step pictoral instrucition of a bait knot.

The best knot video I've seen that someone sent to me to learn to tie is at http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/movies/bigmqloop.mpg
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 11:23:41 AM »

Hey Sassy, good that you're learning but watch out who you're learning from. Most people out yesterday love the fast water because they can use the current to floss and snag fish. You can recognise someone who is actually fishing because thier float is almost straight up and its drifting with the current without dragging the bottom. Flossers will be holding back the float and sweeping thier hook across the current. OR not even useing a float at all.
Fish on!

ko

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 12:11:17 PM »

just wondering bug, ever fish so that your wieght just touches the bottom at times? dont you you set the line depth acording to water levels? certian levels of water i always thought, means the fish sit in the water table at different depths, so if a guy fishes deep where his lead is tapping the bottom does not nessicsarily mean that he or she is flossing. usually i thought it was the lenght of leader. anyways great to hear that your learning how to fish sassy there are many ways to catch fish. probably one of the most important things about fishing is be curtious to others on the river

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »

Well Ko there's alot of opinions of course, but no I never tap the bottom because if you're that low you're odds of snagging a fish go way up, and the drift isn't natural. But I do set my depth to be 5 - 15 inches off  the bottom. Lots of guys have success your way tapping once in a while but your not actually dredging the bottom like the sweepers do it sounds like.
Fish on!

adecadelost

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 12:30:06 PM »

Bouncing along the bottom isn't flossing.  Often most fish will be hugging the bottom of the river.  You want your wool or what ever you are using to be just skimming the bottom.  But keep your leader short otherwise you will floss the excess line through the fishes mouth or foul snag.  As well your float should be on a slight angle upstream not straight up and down.  This allows your hook to reach the fish first and not your weight or tackle scaring them off.  A flosser is quite obvious they will have a very long leader and will be drifting a large arc across the flow.  With a proper drift rod you should be able to play your float down stream with minimal arc.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 12:48:54 PM »

there are many rivers where bottom bouncing... the old way is acceptable. leader length is the key. We often target red springs in this way, fishing the usual amount of weight used when float fishing and a 2 ft leader, loading the hook with a prawn or a gob of roe. Using wool with this method i think tends to floss more fish than it gets legitamite biters, but with bait it is very effective and well within the realms of ethical pursuit. Also when the barometer rises and water pressure follows, big springs and steelhead will glue themselves to the bottom. Short floating is not always the key to success, but in standard conditions with favorable water pressure, it's hard to beat.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:50:27 PM by allwaysfishin »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »

I have seen some the of best flossres at it on the cap and chehal;is with nothing more than an 18 inch leader.   Simply put if you drift parallel to the flow of the river, you wont sweep your presentation and you should floss many fish at all.  If you hold back AND cause your presentation to sweep or cross the river and your hook is "skimming the bottom" you will floss fish...longer leader only increases your chances, don't think for a second you cant floss with an 18 inch leader.  In fact the flossers that floss seems and pocket water will be better served by a short leader they can control and that keeps the hook in the seem.

Fish will rise for a good presentation so if you dont want to floss, bring your gear up and don't sweep across the run.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 12:55:54 PM »

AWF, I have bottom bounced not looking to floss and when i do that, I use lighter weight so I dont hang up and I free spool (opposed to closing the bail and swingingn it in). 

When you BB (and are not intending to floss) do you leave it in free spool to? Wha'ss your weighting like when fishing this way?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 01:31:41 PM »

i use the pencil lead/surgical tube or i use the slinkies and wether the free spool is on or off depends entirely on the flow. I try to avoid this method in fast water, prefering to only use it in moderate flow, sandy or fine pebbly bottoms. That said, you will find me short floating 80 to 90 % of the time rather than using the proper BB technique. I generally only use it for targetting springs with bait.... after i've sent the same offerings through under a float with no success.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 09:56:48 PM »

Bouncing along the bottom isn't flossing.  Often most fish will be hugging the bottom of the river.  You want your wool or what ever you are using to be just skimming the bottom.  But keep your leader short otherwise you will floss the excess line through the fishes mouth or foul snag.  As well your float should be on a slight angle upstream not straight up and down.  This allows your hook to reach the fish first and not your weight or tackle scaring them off.  A flosser is quite obvious they will have a very long leader and will be drifting a large arc across the flow.  With a proper drift rod you should be able to play your float down stream with minimal arc.

Like I said, everyone has an opinion on this. People who bottom bounce often say that they're not flossing, but the fact is that they are the people most often snagging fish after fish in the tail or pec fin. Which totally screws up the fishing for everyone else because the fish are now freaked out.

Having a short leader doesn't mean that you are not flossing, the best flossers on the cap use short leaders in the rapids. I understand what you mean by having the float point slightly upstream, I do this at times depending on the flow. but I believe that you miss too many hits that way because the float has to pass over the fish before it will dip under.

Anyway...I was just try to help a newbie not pick up any bad habits.
Fish on!

adecadelost

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 11:20:50 PM »

What you are saying is great.  For the most part short floating should be the only way to fish.  All I was saying is that bottom bouncing is not necesarily flossing.

I'm a little confused though as to why you say the float has to pass over the fish before it shows the hit?  The tension in the line is the same if not more when you hold your float back slightly.  A simple hit from the fish will drop the float, why does it have to pass over the fish?